Fermanagh Football & Hurling

Started by Erne Gael, November 10, 2006, 10:30:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you agree with the new Summer League for Club teams?

Yes, gives the club players plenty of matches
23 (50%)
No, rather play challenge matches
4 (8.7%)
Waste of time, won't be taken seriously
19 (41.3%)

Total Members Voted: 45

FermPundit

When Rory was brought back into the squad in 2005 the situation was badly managed by management. This time around Malachy O'Rourke won't make the same mistake. Rory is an outstanding footballer and he will be a great addition to the squad.

Quote from: haranguerer on November 06, 2008, 01:38:16 PM
No harm in having a look i suppose, but it reeks a little of desperation. Malachy could be putting his managerial reputation on the line here...

I disagree. We all know about the problems in the forward line. Malachy is simply trying to get the best out of the small pool of players we have. I'm sure this wasn't a rush decision. I'd be surprised if all the players weren't consulted before he was asked back.
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

ExiledGael

Hope you're right Fermpundit. Bit surprised I have to say, notice UTV showed him last night on the news, dunno who compiled it but they showed Raymie taking a free, then a close up of Kieran Donnelly and then Rory taking a free.
Think Ciaran O'Reilly can bring us everything that Rory could from dead-balls without the other hassle, but I'd love to be wrong.
There's no doubting his talent, never has been.

FermPundit

SFL Division one

Tempo 2-06 Derrygonnelly 1-13

ExiledGael

Does that leave Derrygonnelly safe from the drop?
Know they play Skea and Donagh in the last two games so they'll have a big say in whoever does go down.

Went along to Crossmaglen today, probably the coldest place I've ever been. Not much of a contest but at least St Pat's weren't beat out of sight which looked on at one stage. Should have had a goal at the end which hit the crossbar and there were a few encouraging displays. Seen Malachy O'Rourke and selectors who must have been impressed by Gary Maguire and Ronan McCaffrey for St Pat's. Gary particularly was really throwing his weight about and could be a real presence in any full forward line. McCaffrey was excellent at full-back but he's into the thirties now sadly.
Whole different level Cross are at though, every one of them fit to ride the tackles and kick some great scores.
They were actually quite poor today but they didn't need to be great. Frog and Eamon and Gary Maguire were the most impressive for the Fermanagh side, Eamon torturing a few markers but he missed a glorious goal chance blazing over on his left 15 minutes in and Cross hit 7 points in a row after it. Pat Cadden was a big disappointment for them, a lot to do if he's the answer at county level.

FermPundit

Good performance from Donagh today. I saw highlights of the game on RTE news earlier tonight. To only lose by 7 points to a side like Crossmaglen is a good achievement for a small club like St. Pat's. I'm sure they will be very pleased with their year so far, however they still need to win a game or two to prevent relegation to division two. Although I didn't get to the game today I have been quite impressed with Gary Maguire this season. He gets through quite a lot of work in the full forward line. Although Pat Cadden was injured last season he didn't make that much of an impact with the county. He has a great left foot but even when playing for Donagh he tends to drift in and out of games.

In the division three league final today Belleek defeated Irvinestown 1-15 to 1-09. Good progress this year for Erne Gaels. Hopefully they'll continue their good work in the next round of the ulster intermediate championship.

inisceithleann

Quote from: FermPundit on November 09, 2008, 10:17:49 PM
Good performance from Donagh today. I saw highlights of the game on RTE news earlier tonight. To only lose by 7 points to a side like Crossmaglen is a good achievement for a small club like St. Pat's. I'm sure they will be very pleased with their year so far, however they still need to win a game or two to prevent relegation to division two. Although I didn't get to the game today I have been quite impressed with Gary Maguire this season. He gets through quite a lot of work in the full forward line. Although Pat Cadden was injured last season he didn't make that much of an impact with the county. He has a great left foot but even when playing for Donagh he tends to drift in and out of games.

In the division three league final today Belleek defeated Irvinestown 1-15 to 1-09. Good progress this year for Erne Gaels. Hopefully they'll continue their good work in the next round of the ulster intermediate championship.

To be honest, it'll be years before a Fermanagh club makes an impact in Ulster at senior level. Has any club ever won it? I know the Gaels got to the final in 1999 and 2002 and Roslea did in the 1980s but think they've been the best performances AFAIK.
Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth

FermPundit

Roslea reached the Ulster club final back in 1982. I don't any Fermanagh or Cavan clubs have ever won an Ulster senior club championship.

ExiledGael

Brookeborough didn't/couldn't field against Skea today giving them both points but St Pat's beat Derrygonnelly comfortably in Derrygonnelly so it's almost certainly relegation for Skea with just one game left and St Pat's home to Brookeborough.
How can a senior team not field in a crucial league game? And a team/town like Skea going down, says a lot for the state of football in the county.

milltown row

Quote from: FermPundit on November 11, 2008, 10:52:56 PM
Roslea reached the Ulster club final back in 1982. I don't any Fermanagh or Cavan clubs have ever won an Ulster senior club championship.

that was our first ulster final win ;)  god thats years ago. i'm getting to old ;)

inisceithleann

Enniskillen 0-09 Devenish 1-03. Thats the Gaels safe from relegation.

FermPundit

Quote from: ExiledGael on November 16, 2008, 05:30:51 PM
Brookeborough didn't/couldn't field against Skea today giving them both points but St Pat's beat Derrygonnelly comfortably in Derrygonnelly so it's almost certainly relegation for Skea with just one game left and St Pat's home to Brookeborough.
How can a senior team not field in a crucial league game? And a team/town like Skea going down, says a lot for the state of football in the county.

It is a sad reflection of Fermanagh football when a big club like Lisnaskea are almost certain to be relegated from Division one but maybe it's the kick up the back side they require. They have had strong youth teams over the years but for some reason not many players come through and play senior football. I think the problems with Lisnaskea exist in every large town in Ulster. For example, this year Dungannon were relegated to junior football in Tyrone and the the Newry clubs are extremely weak in Down football. When such a large percentage of each county's population reside in urban areas its a massive problem the GAA will need to assess.

In fairness to Brookeboro they have been struggling to field for the last few games and Lisnaksea would have beaten them quite easily today if the game was played.

Doire abú

Quote from: FermPundit on November 16, 2008, 09:55:23 PM
Quote from: ExiledGael on November 16, 2008, 05:30:51 PM

It is a sad reflection of Fermanagh football when a big club like Lisnaskea are almost certain to be relegated from Division one but maybe it's the kick up the back side they require. They have had strong youth teams over the years but for some reason not many players come through and play senior football. I think the problems with Lisnaskea exist in every large town in Ulster. For example, this year Dungannon were relegated to junior football in Tyrone and the the Newry clubs are extremely weak in Down football. When such a large percentage of each county's population reside in urban areas its a massive problem the GAA will need to assess.

In fairness to Brookeboro they have been struggling to field for the last few games and Lisnaksea would have beaten them quite easily today if the game was played.

Its been decades since there has been a team for Derry City in the Derry Senior Championship!!

ExiledGael

Daily Star saying today that Stephen Maguire is almost certainly going to rejoin the Fermanagh squad.
Haven't heard anything of this, and know what the Star is like.
Annual bullshit story at this stage it looks like, anyone know any different? He must be a few years into his thirties anyway.

FermPundit

Quote from: ExiledGael on November 18, 2008, 07:40:39 PM
Daily Star saying today that Stephen Maguire is almost certainly going to rejoin the Fermanagh squad.
Haven't heard anything of this, and know what the Star is like.
Annual bullshit story at this stage it looks like, anyone know any different? He must be a few years into his thirties anyway.

I would be surprised but you just never know! First Rory and now possibly Stevie. It looks like Malachy O'Rourke is leaving no stone unturned in trying to solve Fermanagh's problems up front. I've seen Stevie play a couple of times this year and he was pretty quiet but regardless he would be an excellent option to have in the squad.

inisceithleann

Having Rory and Stevie in there would certainly help the free taking area. Stevie's game was never geared around pace so his age is less of a factor than others of the same age. Ciarán O'Reilly is meant to be close to being back to full training. He's been fierce unlucky with that cartilage problem in his knee. Looks like we'll have a bit of strength and depth next season.