MPs unite to fight law that will make abortions available in Northern Ireland

Started by Maguire01, July 24, 2008, 10:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should the abortion act be extended to Northern Ireland?

Yes
47 (44.8%)
No
58 (55.2%)

Total Members Voted: 105

Angelo

Quote from: johnnycool on March 16, 2021, 01:46:01 PM
Quote from: Angelo on March 16, 2021, 01:43:13 PM
Personally I don't think political parties should have an opinion on this it should be a personal choice.

I thought the way SF handled this was dreadful from the start, the way Peader Toibin was treated for having his own beliefs and view was very poor.

Abortion should not be a political issue.

SF can rightly come in for criticism here for their posturing but they are little different to other parties too in this regard. I'd imagine the usual suspects will engage in a SF pile on though.

SF must have instructed all their MLA's to abstain. why not a conscience vote?

Yeah, that's certainly my gripe here.

I don't think parties should be having a set line on this and SF have certainly tried to court popular opinion here right than leaving it to their members and representatives to publish their own view.

Social debates like this should not become party political IMO.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

armaghniac

Quote from: johnnycool on March 16, 2021, 01:46:01 PM
Quote from: Angelo on March 16, 2021, 01:43:13 PM
Personally I don't think political parties should have an opinion on this it should be a personal choice.

I thought the way SF handled this was dreadful from the start, the way Peader Toibin was treated for having his own beliefs and view was very poor.

Abortion should not be a political issue.

SF can rightly come in for criticism here for their posturing but they are little different to other parties too in this regard. I'd imagine the usual suspects will engage in a SF pile on though.

SF must have instructed all their MLA's to abstain. why not a conscience vote?

Because they did not have such a conscience vote in the 26 counties and threw  Peader Tóibín and some others out.
Presumably in the 6 counties several people said they would leave for Aontú if they were coerced.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Mike Tyson

Quote from: Angelo on October 24, 2019, 09:10:58 AM
Quote from: HiMucker on October 24, 2019, 08:23:17 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on October 23, 2019, 08:15:01 PM
Of course there's some who use abortion as a means of contraception. 200,000 in uk annually, they're not all rape, incest cases. You're naive if you think otherwise.
Again
"97.7% of abortions in England & Wales were performed under ground C - the pregnancy has not exceeded its twenty-fourth week and that the continuance of the pregnancy would involve risk, greater than if the pregnancy were terminated, of injury to the physical or mental health of the pregnant woman."

The mental health one is a nice card to play.

We know how babies are made, we all know the consequences of the action behind them, 3 months later down the line if something has happened then it's time to face up and deal with consequences of your actions. It's a shame that your life may now be different and it's not just you anymore but that's a direct result of the actions you have taken.

I'd liken it to drink driving, there's a possibility something will go wrong when you sit into that car under the influence but if you do it then it's a decision you can't go back on and you should face the consequences.

There will be many women who have an abortion and will regret it later on in their lives, it will probably lead to mental health issues with them. It's interesting that those in favour of abortion yield out these statistics but only look at them through one lens.

Ultimately the decision to terminate a pregnancy of a perfectly healthy baby, created by your own conscious decisions and actions is the most selfish thing you could ever contemplate doing.

Ah Angelo lol

johnnycool

Quote from: Mike Tyson on March 17, 2021, 08:01:59 AM
Of course there's some who use abortion as a means of contraception. 200,000 in uk annually, they're not all rape, incest cases. You're naive if you think otherwise.
Again
"97.7% of abortions in England & Wales were performed under ground C - the pregnancy has not exceeded its twenty-fourth week and that the continuance of the pregnancy would involve risk, greater than if the pregnancy were terminated, of injury to the physical or mental health of the pregnant woman."

We know how babies are made, we all know the consequences of the action behind them, 3 months later down the line if something has happened then it's time to face up and deal with consequences of your actions. It's a shame that your life may now be different and it's not just you anymore but that's a direct result of the actions you have taken.

I'd liken it to drink driving, there's a possibility something will go wrong when you sit into that car under the influence but if you do it then it's a decision you can't go back on and you should face the consequences.

There will be many women who have an abortion and will regret it later on in their lives, it will probably lead to mental health issues with them. It's interesting that those in favour of abortion yield out these statistics but only look at them through one lens.

Ultimately the decision to terminate a pregnancy of a perfectly healthy baby, created by your own conscious decisions and actions is the most selfish thing you could ever contemplate doing.

Ah Angelo lol

Apart for the hypocrisy on the mental health the misogynism running through that post is rotten to the core.

Franko

Again

Ah Angelo lol

Jesus, that's pretty rough stuff there - like something that would come from a Bishop in the 50's.

And I'm speaking as someone who holds reservations about the whole abortion thing

Angelo

Terminating an unborn life because it's an inconvenience is pretty callous as far as I see it. It's actually amoral.

So that's what you guys are for.

RedHand88

Quote from: HiMucker on October 24, 2019, 08:22:14 AM
Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on October 23, 2019, 08:00:05 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on October 23, 2019, 07:39:21 PM
Want to elaborate on what was wrong with what I said?

If you hope there is nobody using it as a form of contraception you are deluded.
The information is out there. Mike Tyson already posted it

It should be pointed out that 99.9% of Ground C abortions use the mental health of the mother as justification.

johnnycool

Quote from: Angelo on March 17, 2021, 09:38:03 AM
Terminating an unborn life because it's an inconvenience is pretty callous as far as I see it. It's actually amoral.

Personally no but I'm a man and by your previous post I'm absolved from all fault/blame/responsibility if a girl I impregnate falls pregnant.

I do believe that there are grounds for a woman in difficulty to be allowed to terminate their pregnancy though.

trailer

Quote from: Franko on March 17, 2021, 09:27:18 AM
Again

Ah Angelo lol

Jesus, that's pretty rough stuff there - like something that would come from a Bishop in the 50's.

And I'm speaking as someone who holds reservations about the whole abortion thing

Disgraceful post.

Angelo

Quote from: johnnycool on March 17, 2021, 09:52:35 AM

Personally no but I'm a man and by your previous post I'm absolved from all fault/blame/responsibility if a girl I impregnate falls pregnant.

I do believe that there are grounds for a woman in difficulty to be allowed to terminate their pregnancy though.

I have no problem with making legislation available on health grounds. I don't think any reasonably minded person would.

I do have a problem with lives being terminated by their parents on grounds of inconvenience or regret of the consequences of their actions.

I'd imagine any mother or father who took the option to terminate a life for anything outside of health reasons will feel great regret and shame down the line.

The usual Screaming Mary's are out in force here trying to turn this into something it's not. They are the ones who think the unborn have no rights to live do let them try and rationalise that to themselves.

Franko

Nope, wrong again.

Angelo

Quote from: Franko on March 17, 2021, 10:14:05 AM

Nope, wrong again.

That's exactly what you said.

That's what you are for.

Bit sad you have to lie to yourself.

Louther

Quote from: Angelo on March 17, 2021, 10:12:49 AM

I have no problem with making legislation available on health grounds. I don't think any reasonably minded person would.

I do have a problem with lives being terminated by their parents on grounds of inconvenience or regret of the consequences of their actions.

I'd imagine any mother or father who took the option to terminate a life for anything outside of health reasons will feel great regret and shame down the line.

The usual Screaming Mary's are out in force here trying to turn this into something it's not. They are the ones who think the unborn have no rights to live do let them try and rationalise that to themselves.

You do this constantly. Take a situation and apply your view to everyone else and consider that the only show in town. You've no idea why people make such a decision, it's not always for as an "inconvenience " , may be a factor in some cases but there is lots of other reasons why people make such decisions.

You can't speak for everyone - to simply say it's either a decisions made on health grounds or inconvenience is shocking.

Rape, sexual abuse, future care, age, poverty, etc are some reasons. People will have their own reasons and to merely consider it an "inconvenience" shows the maturity of a teenager.

It's a very emotive subject and one I'd dont think I could make. But I respect other people to be able to consider their own circumstances and consequences to make the decision. And if that decision is made it should be in situation where they get information and care to know what's involved and support after it. Not jumping on and off a Ryanair flight to England and have to carry that memory in what are already difficult circumstances.

Angelo

Quote from: Louther on March 17, 2021, 10:26:43 AM

You do this constantly. Take a situation and apply your view to everyone else and consider that the only show in town. You've no idea why people make such a decision, it's not always for as an "inconvenience " , may be a factor in some cases but there is lots of other reasons why people make such decisions.

You can't speak for everyone - to simply say it's either a decisions made on health grounds or inconvenience is shocking.

Rape, sexual abuse, future care, age, poverty, etc are some reasons. People will have their own reasons and to merely consider it an "inconvenience" shows the maturity of a teenager.

It's a very emotive subject and one I'd dont think I could make. But I respect other people to be able to consider their own circumstances and consequences to make the decision. And if that decision is made it should be in situation where they get information and care to know what's involved and support after it. Not jumping on and off a Ryanair flight to England and have to carry that memory in what are already difficult circumstances.

If a new life wasn't an inconvenience the parents would bring up that child.

I'm sure some of those women who jumped on a Ryanair flight to terminate the life of an unborn baby have big regrets years down the line about their decision.

Louther

Quote from: Angelo on March 17, 2021, 10:31:51 AM
Quote from: Louther on March 17, 2021, 10:26:43 AM

If a new life wasn't an inconvenience the parents would bring up that child.

I'm sure some of those women who jumped on a Ryanair flight to terminate the life of an unborn baby have big regrets years down the line about their decision.

Absolutely pathetic response as normal. Me Me Me.