Fermanagh Football & Hurling

Started by Erne Gael, November 10, 2006, 10:30:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you agree with the new Summer League for Club teams?

Yes, gives the club players plenty of matches
23 (50%)
No, rather play challenge matches
4 (8.7%)
Waste of time, won't be taken seriously
19 (41.3%)

Total Members Voted: 45

FermGael

Predictions:

SFC. Devenish v Tempo.  Will be tight.  Tempo, just.

IFC. St. Joseph's v Brookeboro.   Brookeboro

SFC. Kinawley v Derrygonnelly.  Fancy Kinawley to provide a shock here. Derrygonnelly do not seem to be firing on all cyclinders this year

SFC. St. Patrick's v Teemore.  With Cadden and Maguire up front, St Pat's should have too much

Newtownbutler v Enniskillen.  Will be tigher than people expect.  Newtown will not get beat without a fight.  Gaels to win by 2-3 points

Do not think anybody really cares about the summer league. 
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Slapdash

Predictions:

SFC. Devenish v Tempo.  Hard game to call.  Could see one team actually running away with, not sure which though. :-\

IFC. St. Joseph's v Brookeboro.  Hesitant nod to Ederney after a good weekend.

SFC. Kinawley v Derrygonnelly.  Neither side playing particularly well at the moment but if DG tie up Doherty then should be enough to nullify Kinawley.

SFC. St. Patrick's v Teemore.  St Pats picking it up at the right time, but Teemore have the defence to contain their threat.

Newtownbutler v Enniskillen.  Hard to look beyond the Gaels (favourites?) but NTB will push them to the finish

FermPundit

IFC Result

Brookeboro 1-12 Ederney 0-13

SFC Results

Tempo 1-10 Devenish 1-06
Derrygonnelly 3-12 Kinawley 0-09

The two games tomorrow have been moved as the pitch in Lisnaskea has been deemed unplayable.

Teemore v St Pat's will now take place in Brookeboro at 2pm
Enniskillen v Newtownbutler will now take place in Tempo at 4.30pm
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

FermGael

Brutal football tonight.  O'Rourke is going to have a job finding any new forwards

ExiledGael

Anyone make the trip to Tempo?
Went along to the St Pat's v Teemore game. Donagh hammered them out of sight, about ten points in it at the end, 1-6 to 1-16 or something like that. Pat Cadden hit about 1-7 including a penalty (foul against him when he was one on one) and a few frees from around 45-yards. In saying that he hit a few bad wides as well early on but once the confidence was up he hit a few belters.
Was given man of the match but Frog was immense too, scored a sideline and a couple of other points from chb.
Eamon Maguire playing very deep but popped up for a few points and rarely wasted a ball. Curry hit a few good scores from Teemore but they were never in it, lost without the injured O'Reilly and Owens who were both just about fit to do waterboys along the line.
Lanky Donagh midfielder Cosgrove could get a look in for the county next year, must have caught 6/7 clean balls at midfield against Hugh Brady and one great one that led to a score when he moved to ff briefly. Needs to fill out and work on his shooting (like the rest of the county) but he'll probably get a trial at least, was outstanding today.

FermGael

Enniskillen 0-10 Newtown 0-8.
Gaels were getting beat by 1 with about 25 minutes to go and then had Tom Brewster sent off.
But Gaels then replied and went a point up.  Newtown then had Clive Fitz and Young Connolly sent off.
After than the Gaels closed the game out. 
Gaels seem to have a bit of hunger in them this year.  Bradley was lively up front, and Lilly and K Gunn controlled things at the back.
For Newtown Blooby played well and is county standard but sure we all know that.
Tempo have a great wee ground and set up.  Fair play.

FermPundit

Enniskillen 0-09 Newtown 0-07.

Shocking game of football. 3 men sent off with at least 15 bookings, but it wasn't a dirty game by any means. I know Newtown havent been going well in the league but they were extremely poor today. Enniskillen weren't much better but they probably just about deserved the victory. Mickey Lilly was outstanding today yet again today. He would walk straight into the county team he wanted to. Kevin Gunn had a steady game at full back whilst Colm Bradley and Mattie Keenan worked hard throughout. The Gaels will be happy enough to get a win but they'll have to improve dramatically if they want to win the championship. Tom Brewster will probably get 4 weeks for his straight red today so they'll be up against it in the next round. Ronan McCabe went off injured early on which didn't help. Hopefully he'll be fit for the next round.

I know we have talked at length about the problems Fermanagh have in the forward line but I was at the games in Brewster Park last night as well and overall the standard of football is brutal. The simple art of kicking points has been completely lost. This is a serious, serious issue. It cost us an Ulster title and unless we do something about it soon Fermanagh football is going no where.

ExiledGael

In fairness there was some great scores today in Brookeborough, found myself staggered as to how we could't have a man on the county team to tap over frees from even inside thirty yards when there was maybe 6/7 points today from 40+.
Who was the referee in Tempo? Looked all season like Newtown, whether they know it or not, have lost the hunger after finally landing the SFC last season. They've a relegation battle on their hands now too.
Is there any chance of Lilly coming back out for the county?

FermGael

Quote from: ExiledGael on August 17, 2008, 08:33:42 PM
Who was the referee in Tempo? Looked all season like Newtown, whether they know it or not, have lost the hunger after finally landing the SFC last season. They've a relegation battle on their hands now too.
Higgins and thats all i have to say about that.
Newtown and even Teemore would need to watch because relegation is a possibility.

FermPundit

Quote from: ExiledGael on August 17, 2008, 08:33:42 PM
Is there any chance of Lilly coming back out for the county?

Nah, no chance of him going back to the county set up. So Enniskillen face St. Pat's in the quarter finals. 1-17 is some score to put up but just how bad were Teemore today? The Gaels have probably the best defence in the county so I don't think Pat Cadden or Eamon Maguire will get their scores as easy the next day. Are the quarter finals set for the weekend 30/31 August? I think the full draw is as follows

Enniskillen v St. Pats
Lisnaskea v Belcoo
Tempo v Roslea
Irvinestown v Derrygonnelly

Are there a full round of league games next weekend?

ExiledGael

Heard they were that weekend alright but not certain. Teemore were poor it has to be said, apart from a few good scores from Sean Curry and a good goal to level things midway through the first half they were attrocious. Hugh Brady was totally anonymous around the middle against Cosgrove and Fergal Reilly, though Shane McDermott and Joe McGovern were also working in and around that area and that's where Donagh won it. Totally dominated midfield and used it well with Eamon Maguire playing deep in around there as well doing a lot of creating. Declan O'Reilly was wasted around his full-back line and they really missed Owens' presence and O'Reilly's frees. Hard to see Donagh throwing up a tally like that again if Cadden is well enough marked, but it's a great result for them after a woeful start to the season.

Anyone at the Ederney game? Heard Marty was sent off after the final whistle, is that right? Gormley had already been sent off.

Tempoman

Anybody know what happened at the edenry v Brookeborough game last weekend. There was 8 guys suspended by the county board the other nite, including marty mcgrath. Apparently mcgrath was sent off because the ref "thought" mcgrath had called him a w*nker, but at the meeting the other nite the ref said that he now thought it wasnt mcgrath, but the county board still suspended him because no-one else owned up.
I know gormely was sent off for allegedly hitting someone. At the meeting gormely had a letter from the guy he supposed to have hit saying that he hadnt hit him, but the county board threw it out because it wasnt signed in irish! I thought that documents no longer need to be signed in irish eg a sub slip doesnt have to be in irish.

haranguerer

Wasnt at the game, so can't comment too much. My take on it however: If youre sent off by that ref, you deserve to be sent off; he is anything but whistle happy, and seems sound too. Sounds to me like he was just trying to get McGrath off the hook.

About Gormley, when I voiced my surprise at that ref sending someone off, I was told it was down to the linesman, who I'm not gonna name, but shouldnt be near a gaelic match.

I would be sceptical about the letter being thrown out because it wasn't signed in irish, I would imagine it is no good because it could be fabrication. Most players are happy to leave it on the pitch, and even if someone committed a sending off offence against me, in most cases I would prob have no bother writing a letter for them; you'd be thinking some of their club might do the same for you some day.

I would also be surprised if Gormley didnt deserve to get sent off.

FermPundit

Enniskillen v Teemore ended in a draw
Newtown beat Tempo by a point
Donagh beat Brookeboro by 5

In Division two Ederney beat Kinawley

AidyMac

Belcoo beat Devinish by a point, 10 v 9.  Think this leaves them at the top on their own now