Fermanagh Football & Hurling

Started by Erne Gael, November 10, 2006, 10:30:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you agree with the new Summer League for Club teams?

Yes, gives the club players plenty of matches
23 (50%)
No, rather play challenge matches
4 (8.7%)
Waste of time, won't be taken seriously
19 (41.3%)

Total Members Voted: 45

DirtyDozen12

Quote from: inisceithleann on August 03, 2007, 10:31:43 PM
Teemore will be pushed by derrygonnelly, but the harps are over reliant on paul ward and he'll be well shackled by hughie brady. Teemore have real quality and with barry owens and ciaran o'reilly on the team you'd expect them to make the final.

Owens-quailty player as well known.  Not 100 % convinced by O'Reilly, very good free-taker but in the games ive seen him for Fermanagh,it is questionable at times what he contirbutes from play.  Where does he play for Teemore and how good is he at club level?

Also, are Gerald and Paddy Woods playing for Brookebourgh?
Beer, now there's a temporary solution!!!

inisceithleann

Gerald plays at midfield and won man of the match last weekend i think? A very good footballer. Not too sure about Paddy? But he could be on the first 15.

O'Reilly is very good at club level as you'd expect, but doesn't stand out as a county player at times. Very accurate from placed balls but as you say never contributes enough from open play. In fact most of Teemore's frees are taken by Sean Curry. O'Reilly plays at centre half forward and drops deep and acts as play maker.
Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth

KIDDO

Was present at this match , and did the winners not get the first score from an early penalty award.

inisceithleann

Quote from: KIDDO on August 03, 2007, 11:25:38 PM
Was present at this match , and did the winners not get the first score from an early penalty award.

Yeah you're right, wrote the report quickly when i got in the door. Didn't realise I'd written that. I'll edit my previous post :)

tintin25

Quote from: inisceithleann on August 03, 2007, 10:01:01 PM
Quote from: DirtyDozen12 on August 03, 2007, 09:47:38 PM
Quote from: inisceithleann on August 03, 2007, 09:33:41 PM
Quinn Direct SFC Quarter Final Replay Result
Derrygonelly 2-08 Enniskillen 0-10

Would this be considered a shock result in Fermanagh?  Have the semi-final games been decided?if so who plays who?

To be honest this would have been a shock 5 years ago, but the Gaels have been poor the last few years and it could be the end of the road for the team that dominated Fermanagh for the last decade, but heres hoping not. :D

Semi final draw was made last sunday:

Teemore Shamrocks V Derrygonnelly Harps
Brookeboro Heber MacMahons V Newtownbutler First Fermanaghs

I fancied Derrygonnelly to take the replay. Thanks for the report Enniskillen lad. I personally think that Gaels will have to start rebuilding. Great servants like Paul Brew and Ollie McShea, to name a but a few, have been around a long time now. I think Enniskillen need to start building their team around guys like Bradley, McCabe, Gunn, Millar etc...as once Brewster and these guys retire then the former will be seen upon as the experienced members and the 'older brigade' so to speak. Apart from Matthew Keenan and maybe Ledwith I would struggle to name young players from the Gaels coming through the ranks who fall into the 20-24 age bracket. Perhaps I am wrong, but when you look at NTB, Derrygonnelly, Brookboro and Teemore they have numerous players who fit into this category who have come through the respective underage setups. Players like Connolly, Ward, McCaffery, Woods, A.Boyle etc. I wouldn't predict a demise in the Gaels however, and I'm quite confident they will be challenging for honours once again next season but I would expect them to be doing with without the guys mentioned previousley albeit maybe in a minimul role. I agree what you say about club football being quite weak too. I wouldn't have alot of confidence in any of the remaining teams in the Champ making any sort of impression in Ulster.

FermPundit

Its probably the end of the road for this Enniskillen side. Although many of the players aren't that old there is a lot of mileage on the clock. The likes of Colm Bradley and Ronan McCabe are only around 27 yrs of age but they have been playing constant football for the last 10 years.  I think there has been a lack of hunger in the squad for the last few years and another Fermanagh championship wouldn't mean that much to them. The success that Enniskillen have achieved over the last decade has been very impressive but it'll hurt them that they never won a ulster club title. They def had the team to do it.

With regards the championship this year I believe that any of the 4 teams left have a realistic chance of going all the way. You would have to fancy NTB owing to their league form but Ryan Carson is a huge loss to them. The Harps are dangerous but they seem to be too reliant on Paul Ward. Teemore are a big physical side and with Barry Owens and Ciaran O'Reilly playing they'll be hard to stop. Brookeboro have no pressure on them and they'll probably relish the underdog tag. I wouldn't be surprised if they caused a shock against NTB.
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

ExiledGael

Shocking defeat for the Gaels at the weekend, 13 points or something to Belcoo. They're in serious danger of going down at this rate, bad sign of the attitude especially after getting knocked out of the SFC to just fold in the league then as well

inisceithleann

We still have a game in hand I think but agreed things are looking rather bleak for the seniors this year and need a few points to survive. Still think we can stay up though. Juniors are flying the flag for the club at the minute. Sitting at the top of Erne Cup Div 2 and in with a great shout for the junior championship. Hopefully still something to celebrate at the end of the season.

tintin25

Quote from: inisceithleann on August 06, 2007, 10:32:21 PM
We still have a game in hand I think but agreed things are looking rather bleak for the seniors this year and need a few points to survive. Still think we can stay up though. Juniors are flying the flag for the club at the minute. Sitting at the top of Erne Cup Div 2 and in with a great shout for the junior championship. Hopefully still something to celebrate at the end of the season.

Yeah, whilst the senior scene isn't looking too great for ya's I fancy your Juniors to pick up some silverware this season...hopefully in the Championship mind cause we are gunning for the Erne Cup 2 title ourselves!  ;)
Gaels should get a good run in the Championship, plenty of strength in depth and don't think ya's would have used many players in the Senior Championship.

inisceithleann

Swift Supervalue JFC Result:

Teemore 3-09 Enniskillen 3-06

To compound what has been a poor season for the Gaels, the juniors were knocked out by Teemore tonight at Tempo.

tintin25

Anybody know any other results from the Junior Championship? Kinawley 5-18 Erne Gaels 0-04. St Pats and Belanaleck drew also.

tintin25

Lisnaskea 6-17, Derrylin 1-5
St. Josephs 0-6, Devenish 1-13
Kinawley 5-19, Erne Gaels 0-4
Belnaleck 1-6, St. Patricks 1-6
Brookeboro 0-5, Newtownbutler 2-7
Derrygonnelly 0-8, Roslea 0-8
Belcoo 3-6, Tempo 4-12
Teemore 3-9, Enniskillen 3-6

inisceithleann

Not that many suprises in last nights game but I thought donagh would have beaten belnaleck and st. joseph's would have troubled devenish a bit more. Did ederney lose a lot of players to the intermediate championship?

tintin25

Yeah, results went pretty much how I would have thought too. Not really surprised to see Belanaleck draw with Donagh. Donagh haven't been strong in Erne Cup 2 this year and would have been missing players due to Senior involvement. Belanaleck are capable of winning that replay. I think Ederney probably would have lost 4/5 players also for the same reason given already. Take them lads out and they too are quite ordinary. Whatsort of team did the Gaels line out with last night? How would you rate Teemore? I suppose you'd have to fancy Teemore and the winners of DerryG/Roslea at this stage though it depends on the draw. I always thought they the Junior draw was pre-determined? A v B...C v D etc...maybe I'm wrong.

inisceithleann

Quote from: tintin25 on August 08, 2007, 11:14:52 AM
Yeah, results went pretty much how I would have thought too. Not really surprised to see Belanaleck draw with Donagh. Donagh haven't been strong in Erne Cup 2 this year and would have been missing players due to Senior involvement. Belanaleck are capable of winning that replay. I think Ederney probably would have lost 4/5 players also for the same reason given already. Take them lads out and they too are quite ordinary. Whatsort of team did the Gaels line out with last night? How would you rate Teemore? I suppose you'd have to fancy Teemore and the winners of DerryG/Roslea at this stage though it depends on the draw. I always thought they the Junior draw was pre-determined? A v B...C v D etc...maybe I'm wrong.

We were missing a right few players, we lost a number of players because of senior involvement in the championship, probably the most in years. Only had a squad of 18 because we had a few injuries as well. Teemore were pretty good, they ran up a lead of 8/9 points in the first 15 mins, the goals destroyed us. But they died in the second half, but the Gaels did play a lot better in fairness. Teemore's full back line is very solid and they've a a very good forward line. Ciaran Fitz, Wynne and Robbie did extremely well and will cause any team a bit of trouble. If the Gaels had another 10 mins they would have won the game, but Teemore probably did take the foot of the gas.