The Armagh Harps Thread

Started by Rufus T Firefly, November 10, 2006, 11:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harps2002champs

Quote from: Candyman on April 20, 2007, 09:35:21 AM
Legends like myself need not worry then... (and Harpo of course)  ;D

the definition of legend must have changed from the last time i checked the dictionary

Candyman

LEGEND:
1a: An unverified story handed down from earlier times, especially one popularly believed to be historical.
1b: A body or collection of such stories.
1c: A romanticized or popularized myth of modern times.

2: One that inspires legends or achieves legendary fame. = CANDYMAN!!!

3a: An inscription or a title on an object, such as a coin.
3b: An explanatory caption accompanying an illustration.
3c: An explanatory table or list of the symbols appearing on a map or chart.

laughinpaddy

Quote from: Candyman on April 20, 2007, 10:31:03 AM
LEGEND:

Thats Harpo alright, it's a popularized myth that he can play football! and of course we all know that he is a true romantic at heart, just ask the girlfriend!!!!
I ain't gettin on no plane!

harps2002champs

Quote from: Candyman on April 20, 2007, 10:31:03 AM
LEGEND:
1a: An unverified story handed down from earlier times, especially one popularly believed to be historical.
1b: A body or collection of such stories.

2: One that inspires legends or achieves legendary fame. = CANDYMAN!!!

3a: An inscription or a title on an object, such as a coin.
3b: An explanatory caption accompanying an illustration.
3c: An explanatory table or list of the symbols appearing on a map or chart.

Think this is the definition your looking for
legend - <noun> a lie that has attained the dignity of age  ;D

or

A story about supernatural event, supernatural experience and supernatural characters such as an encounter with a ghost, a witch, or an old hag.

Candyman

For anyone who doesn't read papers all Div 1 games have been changed to sat eveining @ 6.30pm
harps play Clans away and Tommy Moir is running a bus for anyone thats interested...  ;)

Horatio Kane

Quote from: Candyman on April 20, 2007, 11:46:21 AM
For anyone who doesn't read papers all Div 1 games have been changed to sat eveining @ 6.30pm
harps play Clans away and Tommy Moir is running a bus for anyone thats interested...  ;)

Put my name down....I'll ride shotgun............yes loaded of course. ;)

Candyman

sure ye couldn't catch him last sunday.... then again ye cant beat lead as they say!!! ;)

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Horatio Kane on April 20, 2007, 04:16:49 PM

:D

Donagh

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on April 20, 2007, 04:45:38 PM

Will yez be making yerselves known this evening lads?

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Donagh on April 21, 2007, 11:04:18 AM
Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on April 20, 2007, 04:45:38 PM

Will yez be making yerselves known this evening lads?

Bad time to have a match, so wouldn't be sure how many will go in support. Horatio will probably go and I would hope Candyman will be inside the wire. I will be taking notes and asking questions like, "is wide with an 'i' or a 'y'?"  :-[

Donagh

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on April 21, 2007, 01:21:20 PM

Bad time to have a match, so wouldn't be sure how many will go in support. Horatio will probably go and I would hope Candyman will be inside the wire. I will be taking notes and asking questions like, "is wide with an 'i' or a 'y'?"  :-[

Sure there was sandwiches and everything in the clubhouse for yez and not one ventured in  :o

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Donagh on April 22, 2007, 12:51:02 AM

Sure there was sandwiches and everything in the clubhouse for yez and not one ventured in  :o

Now you tell me!!  >:(  Eh....what sort of sandwiches had yez?   ;D

I'll get a report up tomorrow - have to say though; thoroughly enjoyable game of football, with the result in doubt right down to the wire; draw probably a fair result - played in front of a very big crowd too - maybe Saturday evening matches are the way forward!!

Horatio Kane

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on April 22, 2007, 12:54:18 AM
Quote from: Donagh on April 22, 2007, 12:51:02 AM

Now you tell me!!  >:(  Eh....what sort of sandwiches had yez?   ;D

I'll get a report up tomorrow - have to say though; thoroughly enjoyable game of football, with the result in doubt right down to the wire; draw probably a fair result - played in front of a very big crowd too - maybe Saturday evening matches are the way forward!!

Did Jimmy Joe not eat them all? :D

Rufus T Firefly

Clan na Gael v Harps

Harps travelled to Lurgan on Saturday evening to play Clan na Gael, and in a very exciting contest in front of a big crowd, came away with a share of the spoils on a 0-12 to 0-12 scoreline.

Harps started off defending the dressing room goals and playing into a strong breeze. Clans had a bad wide before Harps were awarded a close in free for pulling off the ball. Joe Quigley opened the scoring with a point, and repeated the dose minutes later with a point from a free on the left; this time with the aid of a post. Clans returned to the attack, and Philip Oldham's run and shot crashed off the post. The rebound was worked back to Ronan Austen and his rasping shot hit the crossbar, before going over for a point. Nippy's brilliant diagonal pass placed Darren Ward for an excellent point, but this was to signal a period of Clan na Gael dominance. Barry O'Hagan had a point and this was followed with a point from their number fifteen on the overlap. Harps were then penalised for an off the ball incident and Barry O'Hagan again pointed from the resulting free. Willie McSorley's kick out was weak, and the ball was worked to Barry O'Hagan for his second point in a minute. Two bad wides for Clans – separated by a Martin McKenna wide for Harps – was followed by yet another Barry O'Hagan point, this time a magnificent effort with the outside of the boot from the right wing. Harps were struggling to keep in touch at this stage. Barry O'Hagan had another point from a free and a point from play soon followed to leave five between the sides. Joe Quigley lifted the siege with a point from a free, but the scoring for the half finished with a Clans point from their number ten, although Joe Quigley uncharacteristically had two wides from frees right at the death.

Half time, Clan na Gael 0-09, Harps 0-04.

Harps needed a good start to the half to have any hope of getting anything from the game, and to be fair they started the chase playing with a real sense of urgency. Joe Quigley scored a lovely point after a one-two with Darren Ward, and Nippy added a point from a long range free that bounced in a crowded square and over the bar. Smackers added a great point with the outside of his boot from out on the right to give the Harps' support hope. Philip Oldham and Smackers exchanged wides, but the run of play was still with Harps. Gerard McDonagh cut inside for a lovely point to leave a solitary point between the sides, but wides from Chuckie and Joe ensured the gap remained. Fans' favourite, Harpo McKenna, was introduced for Darren Ward in our attack, but the next score belonged to Clans, Barry O'Hagan scoring a great left footed point into the breeze. Joe had a point for Harps from a free, and with the excitement building, Harps had a let off when a Clans' free came back off the post to safety. Barry O'Hagan and Joe Quigley swapped points from frees and then Joe added a point from play to at last draw the Harps level. Clans were dealt a blow when Ronan Austen received a second yellow card, but to be fair they responded with the next point, through Diarmuid Marsden.  Harps responded in great fashion, Ebby finishing a great move with a brilliant point from forty yards. Harps had the bit between their teeth and came looking the winner. With Martin McKenna now operating at full forward, a high ball in caused panic in the home defence, and a last ditch clearance resulted in a '45'.  This unfortunately came to nothing and Clans broke and were awarded a kickable free out on the left. Barry O'Hagan's kick looked to have sealed victory, but Harps' captain Collie Holmes rose magnificently to save the day with a catch above the bar! With excitement now at fever pitch, Harps went down the field looking for the winner. The ball came to Smackers on the right wing, but his shot from forty yards faded agonisingly across the posts and out for a wide. From the kickout, the ref blew for time, bringing an enthralling and end to end contest to a conclusion.

Final score, Clan na Gael 0-12, Harps 0-12.

This was a match that the Harps will feel could have been won, but equally could have been lost late on. Although Harps can feel pleased with some of their movement and shooting in attack, there will also be concern with the ease Clans were able to work scores throughout the game. Best for Harps were captain Collie Holmes, Joe Quigley and in the second half Smackers McAnaney. The Harps fielded as follows.
Willie McSorley, Fergus McAleavey, Martin Gill, Liam McAuley, Chuckie Morris, Collie Holmes, Kevin Daly, Martin McKenna, Nippy Swift 0-1 (0-1 free),  Ebby Toal 0-1, Minnie Holmes, Gerard McDonagh 0-1, Joe Quigley 0-7 (0-5 frees),  Smackers McAnaney 0-1 and Darren Ward 0-1 (Harpo McKenna).     

Spiritof98

Sounds like I missed a cracker, busy with the wee ball, but good to see a point on the board for Na Clairsigh, not sure but is it Cross then Ogs up next, there not getting any easier.
I'll go back if Marsdens back