Mayo Football and Hurling - Discussion pages

Started by stephenite, November 09, 2006, 11:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Mayo County Board may have to go to extreme measures in their bid to fill the secretary position as outgoing Sean Feeney must vacate the place and no else is in the running.

It appears as if Feeney who is being ousted due to the five year rule will take over the position of assistant secretary, but this has to be ratified by Croke Park, which won't happen until February.

The position of vice chairman was not contested now as Ollie Dillon withdrew from the race leaving Paddy McNicholas to retain his position unopposed.

I found this on hoganstand as well. Maybe they all read this discussion board and realise they're in for a rough ride whatever they do!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

mannix

Are the county boaard as bad as they are made out to be?

AbbeySider

The proposals are out for the new league structure... yet to be voted on in Jan.

A CHARA,

THE CO.COMPETTITIONS CONTROL COMMITTEE CONVENED LAST LAST NIGHT AND WILL SUBMIT THE FOLLOWING FORMAT FOR CONSIDERATION AT THE FIRST MEETING OF THE COUNTY COMMITTTE ON JANUARY 14TH. 2008

THE WELCOME INN LEAGUE SHALL  BE A CLASSIFIED AS  A SENIOR  LEAGUE AND WILL BE DIVIDED INTO 6 SECTIONS. THE PLACINGS ARE BASED ON LAST YEARS LEAGUE PERFORMANCES

1A                                      1B                            1C                         1D                            1E                             1F
BREAFFY                      BALLINA                    SWINFORD                BALLA                    KNOCKMORE 2               KILMOVEE
BALLINROBE                BALLINTUBBER          AUGHAMORE            EAST GLS               CHARLESTOWN 2             LACKEN
BALLAGHADEREEN      GARRYMORE               BONNICONLON          CARAMORE            CASTLEBAR2                    CLAREMORRIS2
BURRISHOOLE             KILMEENA                   KILCOMMON            BALLINA                 BALLINTUBBER 2             AUGHAMORE2
CROSSMOLINA            SHRULE/GC                THE NEALE               CROSSMOLINA 2    BALLAGHADEREEN 2           BALLA 2
DAVITTS                     CASTLEBAR                KILTIMAGH               BALLYHAUNIS        MOY DAVITTS 2               CROSSMOLINA3
KNOCKMORE               ISLANDEADY               KILMAINE                 PARKE                   LAHARDANE                      ARDAGH
BELMULLET                 LOUISBURGH                HOLLYMOUNT         MOYGOWNAGH     BALLYCASTLE                    WESTPORT2
MOY DAVITTS              KILTANE                        KILALLA               ARDNARE              BALLINROBE 2                   BALLYCROY
CHARLESTOWN           CLAREMORRIS              MAYO GAELS             ACHILL                  KILFIAN                            BREAFFY2
WESTPORT                  KILMEENA     

TOP TWO TEAMS IN  SECTIONS 1B 1C 1D IE 1F WILL BE PROMOTED
BOTTOM TWO TEAMS IN 1A, 1B, 1C,1D WILL BE RELEGATED

PRIZE FUND AND REGULATIONS TO FOLLOW LATER

Davitt Man

highking

I dont think the Ballyhaunis delegate will agree to that league proposal, so I cant see it being passed. Ballyhaunis are in Division4 according to that league system.

AbbeySider

Quote from: highking on December 23, 2007, 11:22:57 PM
I dont think the Ballyhaunis delegate will agree to that league proposal, so I cant see it being passed. Ballyhaunis are in Division4 according to that league system.

Well it seems that the teams were drawn up based on his years standings... and in effect it is back to the old system. But it is strange to see Parke and Ballyhaunis in Division 1D (or Division 4).

prewtna

at last promotion for moy davitts B! out of Div 6/Div 3B/Div 1F - woohoo! won the bloody thing two years ago against shrule. no promotion tho. then only lost league to 'the great achill' team of 07 by a point or so. not so great down in foxford when we played them, only ourselves to blame for drawing that game. theres already talk of winning the junior champo next year.

Farrandeelin

Holy Mary mother of God! That league proposal looks awful. Could they not just leave it as Division, 1,2, etc and get on with it instead of naming Div 1A,1B etc. It looks awful having all teams in Division 1 something or other. Even little clubs like ardagh and Ballycroy will feel good about themselves despite not winning anything of note for ages as they are in Division 1F.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

the Deel Rover

Well lads anyone heading to ballinrobe tomorrow?
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

rosnarun

why would any one . JOM has written off the comp as a dead loss already . if the team arent taking it seriously why should we or is this yet another of our dunny in the wold TDs cunning plan to take rhe pressure off the team like losing to derry last year
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

rosnarun

well the answer seems to be no one.
But i did hear bits of it on the radio . mayo lost by a point , but the fact that the winning goal for UCG (nuig me arse) as scored by Mark ronaldson shows that this tournament is really just a public training session . but of course they charge at the gate . Probably the most interesying thing aboiut this games were apparently 2 very good performances by Conor moran  anf wait for it James Gill. IS this despeeration or is there more left to give . Id have more hope for moran.
James has tried so hard over the years and had such potetial its hard to se him getting it right now but If JOM can get the best out of hime i say we leave him in the job till late july anyway
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

StoneWall

I was at the game yesterday. Didn't see anything special from Gill or Conor Moran. Gill was cleaned out of it in the first half at midfield, it was only when Seamus O'Shea came in there that Mayo made a comeback in the second half. He did OK when moved to wing forward. Austin O'Mally got 4 points from play but no other forwards did anything to impress. The team was:

Tom Higgins (Westport)
Conor Moran (Burrishoole)
Billy Joe Padden (Belmullet)
Trevor Howley (Knockmore)
Colm Cafferty (Achill)
Liam O'Malley (Burrishoole)
Keith Higgins (Ballyhaunis)
James Gill (Westpost)
Peadar Gardnier (Crossmolina)
Richard Haran (Charlestown)
Alan Dillon (Ballintubber)
Mickey Mullins (Claremorris)
Brian Benson (Crossmolina)
Austin O'Malley (Louisburgh)
John or Paul Prenty (Ballyhaunis)

Seamus O'Shea (Breaffy) for Richard Haran
Aidan Higgins (Charlestown) for Conor Moran

FL/MAYO

From what I have seen of James Gill he is good on a slow winter pitch but come the summer he does not have the pace to keep up with championship football. Maybe the break he had from the county set up might have helped him regain his appetite for the game. The last number of times I saw him playing he did not seem to be to interested.

stephenite

Great choice

Heroic McGarrity rewarded with Mayo captaincy

RONAN McGarrity's brave battle to beat cancer last year has been rewarded with the Mayo captaincy for 2008.

The Ballina midfielder was unveiled to the Mayo squad as the new captain over the weekend but may not be able to lead his team until after his club's interest in the All-Ireland Championships is wrapped up. Ballina are due to play Nemo Rangers in the club semi-final on February 17.

McGarrity was one of the key figures as Ballina reclaimed the Mayo and Connacht titles they last won in 2004.

But before that he had spent four months recuperating from treatment for testicular cancer that he was diagnosed with last March during Mayo's league campaign.

McGarrity drew great admiration from his colleagues from the way he handled the situation and his promise to be back playing during the summer.

The new captain will face into 2008 with renewed enthusiasm on the back of his appointment which Mayo manager John O'Mahony says is well deserved.

"Ronan impressed many people with his attitude last year and the way he dealt with his illness. He is a strong character and I'm sure he will be a strong captain too."

O'Mahony is working off an extended squad of 35 at present but has yet to welcome back some of Mayo's older hands.

Meanwhile, Ciaran McDonald has yet to give a firm indication that he will be returning and O'Mahony is mindful of his injury.

"Ciaran has a persistent back injury and if it was to continue like it did last year then it would be hard to see him making it back," said O'Mahony.

Barney

Agree Stephenite. Delighted with that. Decent fella, and inspirational the way he has fought his way back.

Agree about Gill as well. Watch for the rave reviews in early league games disappear to calls for him to be dropped come the Summer.