Armagh v Wicklow

Started by bennydorano, June 26, 2011, 08:32:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rufus T Firefly

Very enjoyable day out yesterday. First time ever in Aughrim and it is a beautiful part of the world. Was pleasantly surprsed by the size of our support, and had a few beverages earlier in the day in Avoca wth fellow Armagh supporters.

As for the match, I thought we deserved our victory without ever being in anyway impressive. It required a real sleeves rolled up effort and you could not fault the commitment of the players. After an encouraging opening, Wicklow began to dominate and Jamie Clarke's first goal came at exactly the right time, as it semed to knock Wicklow out of their stride. It was the second half before Wicklow got going again and once again it was Jamie Clarke's goal that cam at exactly the right time. From there to the end there was a degree of comfort, although I would be alarmed at the number of terrible wides we had. I would have to say also that Stafford looked far from fit throughout the game, and I can't believe that he lasted the whole match. 

Best for me on the night were MOR, Veron, Stevie, Aaron, Mal Mackin and my man of the match, Brendan Donaghy. He made a brilliant interception in the first half and it was only watching it again on the TV that I realised that it ended up with our first goal. Worth also pointing out that our subs like last week, all made a good impact.   

Last night was Championship, and so the result was all important. However looking back, that performance won't be good enough next week. If we could get McKeever and Toner back, fully fit, I'd be a lot more confident. We got by without them last night, but it will be different in Omagh. I've said it before on here, but this team reminds me of our side of the early 1990s - some way off the top, but with a number of excellent players who can beat any team on a given day, but are not capable of stringing a couple of big performances together. 

Applesisapples

Quote from: PadraicHenryPearse on July 16, 2011, 10:45:05 PM
there were two changes to the team that was named. Hanratty and Kernan started for B. mallon and mckeever i think.

best for Armagh were O'Rourke, Vernon, A. Kernan and Duffy. Mackin was the stand out player of the match for me.

Two lucky enough goals although the finish for the second was class by Clarke who played well but rarely saw the ball in the 2nd half, wicklow had most of the possession but did little with it. First goal somehow went in. When  was hit straight at the guy on the line

Just a quick note on the Armagh supporters around me. From the first second of the match we had "f**king free state ref screwing us again" comments continued during the match and we were all told at one stage "thats its not the first time the free state have screw us over".  This for me has become the norm especially at Armagh matches but with Northern teams in general and the old excuse that its only a few, is wearing pretty thin with me at this stage.
Whilst there is no excuse for the manner in which they are expressing their opinions, it is a fact that Armagh have suffered at the hands of Southern Refs in the past and not just against Southern teams. Last weeks drawn game was the most blatant I can remember. The 03 final and Marsden's dismissal is up there as well.

BerfArmagh

Really glad I went down to Aughrim, the journey was worth it alone for Jamies second goal... genius. I thought Armagh played really well. Hearty, Donaghy, mallon & Duffy were outstanding in defence, mid-field battled well, Stevie had an excellent game in the HF line & o rourke, mackin & Jamie burst a gut. I must say Hanratty is my type of player and wouldbe a certain starter against tyrone.... roll on next staturday

hearty 8
Andy 8
Donaghy 8.5
Finn 6
A Kernan. 6
Dyas 5.5
Duffy 7
Charlie 8
James L 7.5
M O'rourke 8
Hanratty 7
T. Kernan 6.5
Jamie 8
Mal 8
Stevie 9 (MOTM with Donaghy a close second)