Irish History

Started by Hereiam, March 03, 2010, 10:13:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hereiam

Just started to read a book recommended by a board member called
"A History of Ireland in 250 Episodes" by Jonathan Bardon.
I am about a quarter of the way through which is about the time of the flight of the earls. The Island was a savage place back in the early days where the Irish (poor) people lived on oat biscuits, butter & sour milk, the women walked about with their private bits exposed which was normal practice. We really do have a violent history, something which wasn't taught at our school. Would highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to get an insight to the early beginnings of this Island

Master Yoda

Quote from: Hereiam on March 03, 2010, 10:13:06 AM
Just started to read a book recommended by a board member called
"A History of Ireland in 250 Episodes" by Jonathan Bardon.
I am about a quarter of the way through which is about the time of the flight of the earls. The Island was a savage place back in the early days where the Irish (poor) people lived on oat biscuits, butter & sour milk, the women walked about with their private bits exposed which was normal practice. We really do have a violent history, something which wasn't taught at our school. Would highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to get an insight to the early beginnings of this Island
There are some parts of North Derry that are still fairly savage.
Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering

Hereiam

Wouldn't Disagree with that  ;D.
Was there ever a film made about the Ireland back in them days. You would think that the Irish film board could come uo with something instead of that shite the Turd-ors

Hardy

Quote from: Hereiam on March 03, 2010, 10:13:06 AM
The Island was a savage place back in the early days where ... the women walked about with their private bits exposed

Funny how things have come full cycle.

ludermor

Who would have thought you would have survived on Hob Nobs and yogurt.

Ulick

The book is based on the long running RaidiĆ³ Uladh series which you should be able to listen to again somewhere on the BBC site:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/northernireland/ashorthistory/about/

Orior

The state schools in the occupied six counties dont get taught any Irish History. Its all about english kings and queens
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Zapatista

Quote from: Orior on March 03, 2010, 11:13:35 AM
The state schools in the occupied six counties dont get taught any Irish History. Its all about english kings and queens

Our historys are linked.

mylestheslasher

Well when I was going to national school in Killeshandra, Co Cavan all we were thought about was the battles that occured in our area along with all Irish Mythology. Our head master, a fairly violent man himself, loved nothing more than to tell us how Mylestheslasher laid siege to Killeshandra in the 1641 rebellion and how he threw a few english settlers into the Erne with rocks around their legs. Not a man to be messed with. Obviously, this has had a lasting effect on me!

Hereiam

Quote from: Zapatista on March 03, 2010, 11:22:44 AM

Our historys are linked.
Yes they are linked but we were never taught about the O'Neills etc and how they battled the English outside Benburb in Co. Tyrone. There were 100's/1000's killed in this battle and I never knew it even took place. That there was a great fort built there that was an important statement made by the English to the O'Neills. There were other great battles that took place over the Island of Ireland and we were never told about any of them. Instead our minds were filled with crap about England fighting and winning all these great battle's. My young son will know the correct history of this Island and not some bullshit taught to him by a foreign body.

ONeill

Yeah and feckin homo sapiens and the Tollund man.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

The Subbie

Quote from: Hereiam on March 03, 2010, 11:41:21 AM

Our historys are linked.
Yes they are linked but we were never taught about the O'Neills etc and how they battled the English outside Benburb in Co. Tyrone. There were 100's/1000's killed in this battle and I never knew it even took place. That there was a great fort built there that was an important statement made by the English to the O'Neills. There were other great battles that took place over the Island of Ireland and we were never told about any of them. Instead our minds were filled with crap about England fighting and winning all these great battle's. My young son will know the correct history of this Island and not some bullshit taught to him by a foreign body.

Wait till you get to the bit about cromwell  >:( >:( >:( >:( grrrrrrrrrr

thebigfella

Quote from: Hereiam on March 03, 2010, 11:41:21 AM

Our historys are linked.

I was (don't know anyone who was force to learn English history by a foreign body as you put it)............. In fact we never covered much English histoy, apart from the history linked with our own. Personnaly I always prefered European, Middle East etc... I think some of the stuff we got taught was through rose tinted glasses and are not objective enough for my liking.

delboy

Thats certainly not my experience, we learnt about the flight of the earls, the plantation, drogehda/cromwell, 1690, the potato famine, the united irishmen and the home rule issue amongst other irish history.

We did do some stuff about 'england' but that was more in the context of europe as a whole to be honest.

Tony Baloney

Nonsense. If anything there is more Irish history than British in state schools in N.I. i.e. Medieval Ireland, Potato Famine, Easter Rising, Partition, Home Rule etc. etc. are all on the curricula.