Mayo v Tyrone 1989

Started by ONeill, July 02, 2014, 09:18:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

Quote from: ONeill on July 02, 2014, 09:18:58 AM
Spotted this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqEHfz3LoiQ

And it brought back some great memories including a promise from a poster on here who said he'd eat his jersey if Mayo won it.

4-3 at half time. If that happened now there'd be uproar.

Yes? Don't just leave that hanging there.

rrhf

That Tyrone team managed by Donal donnelly were a good outfit but might have taken mayo lightly which they had no reason to do.  Some Tyrone men were on their third ulster championship medal. 3 me gold rick brothers in the panel from Dromore. ..last three brothers in the panel until the mac kenna last week. ???

time ticking away

Quote from: rrhf on July 02, 2014, 09:51:24 PM
That Tyrone team managed by Donal donnelly were a good outfit but might have taken mayo lightly which they had no reason to do.  Some Tyrone men were on their third ulster championship medal. 3 me gold rick brothers in the panel from Dromore. ..last three brothers in the panel until the mac kenna last week. ???
Did you just make that bit up ??
canavan is the man canavan is the man ee aye adi ooh.......

moysider

I remember years later Eugene McKenna describing losing that game to Mayo as 'unforgivable'. I remember it being pretty conclusive at the time but Eugene obviously believes Mayo are not worthy of respect. He s not alone.

It s 25 yrs ago now but that was a massive opportunity lost for Mayo. Johnno was in charge and as we all know now that was a stumbling block in itself. The team selection and tactics were questionable to say the least. And nobody thought it might be a good idea to give Ger Geraghty a job so that he didn t have to emigrate, never to return. Or that The Bomber was an unique talent that need rehabilitation/ consideration rather than rejection. Not for the last time we were all let down - as well as Brogan and Geraghty as well.

macdanger2

Quote from: moysider on July 02, 2014, 10:27:43 PM

I remember years later Eugene McKenna describing losing that game to Mayo as 'unforgivable'. I remember it being pretty conclusive at the time but Eugene obviously believes Mayo are not worthy of respect. He s not alone.

It s 25 yrs ago now but that was a massive opportunity lost for Mayo. Johnno was in charge and as we all know now that was a stumbling block in itself. The team selection and tactics were questionable to say the least. And nobody thought it might be a good idea to give Ger Geraghty a job so that he didn t have to emigrate, never to return. Or that The Bomber was an unique talent that need rehabilitation/ consideration rather than rejection. Not for the last time we were all let down - as well as Brogan and Geraghty as well.

Would you go away out of that moysider ffs, I think even the staunchest Knockmore men would agree that the great man was in the wrong in '89

redhandloo

Definitely wasn't three mcgoldricks on panel. Ever.
Tough times don't last, tough people do!

moysider

Quote from: macdanger2 on July 02, 2014, 11:27:31 PM
Quote from: moysider on July 02, 2014, 10:27:43 PM

Would you go away out of that moysider ffs, I think even the staunchest Knockmore men would agree that the great man was in the wrong in '89

How so?
There was still a drink culture there 5 years later. Brogan never let himself down on the pitch.

T Fearon

Tyrone were well beaten that day.They were very lucky to get out of Ulster that year.Should have been beaten by Armagh in the first round and lucky to get a replay with Donegal in the Ulster Final

rrhf

Quote from: time ticking away on July 02, 2014, 10:14:53 PM
Did you just make that bit up ??
Dosent take long top get an answer.  I queried that as well.. John played in the half back line for 2 seasons won his first medal that Ulster final and I didnt know about the other 2 brothers accordingly in the panel.   

rrhf

Quote from: T Fearon on July 03, 2014, 07:19:28 AM
Tyrone were well beaten that day.They were very lucky to get out of Ulster that year.Should have been beaten by Armagh in the first round and lucky to get a replay with Donegal in the Ulster Final
Should have been beaten twice in Ulster, but when Lynch was filled at half time, there was only ever going to be one winner in the Armagh game.  Tyrone scared the living daylights out of Armagh that day. A furious frenzy of agressive football in the second half, the men that needed hit were hit, and Armagh were happy to get off the field dejected yes, shaken yes, and defeated certainly.   

Lar Naparka

Some things never change.
The forwards on the day were no better than the present crew when it came to scoring from play.
The first one to do so was Killkelly and it was number 10. In fairness to the forwards, the other two points were also scored by forwards and both came from play.
So Horan's men weren't the only ones who found scores hard to come by.
Indeed, going back to the days of John Morley, the backs were always better than the forwards in any era.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

joemamas

Quote from: Lar Naparka on July 03, 2014, 01:18:23 PM
The forwards on the day were no better than the present crew when it came to scoring from play.
The first one to do so was Killkelly and it was number 10. In fairness to the forwards, the other two points were also scored by forwards and both came from play.
Indeed, going back to the days of John Morley, the backs were always better than the forwards in any era.

Challenge that theory, JOM left John Finn on Dave Barry for the entire game. Barry who was an average footballer was MOM.
Huge mistake

Msgr. Horan

As it often pains me to say Leeside, if ye were playing anyone else that day except us, ye would have lost 3 in a row. When Larry's goal went in they were shaken but I think we nearly half thought that was enough, we hadnt disgraced ourselves and we could celebrate on that fact alone. And many did.

Farrandeelin

Yes indeed joemamas. My dad always criticises JOM for that alone in 89. For that reason alo.e he was unhappy with his 2nd coming! Along with lots of others. That's his overriding memory of the 89 final.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: joemamas on July 03, 2014, 01:57:55 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on July 03, 2014, 01:18:23 PM

Challenge that theory, JOM left John Finn on Dave Barry for the entire game. Barry who was an average footballer was MOM.
Huge mistake
I don't follow you here...
What theory are you challenging?
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi