Mayo v Dublin Replay

Mayo
Dublin

ludermor

Quote from: straightred on September 01, 2015, 12:55:04 PM
Quote from: laoislad on September 01, 2015, 11:59:21 AM
Quote from: ballinaman on September 01, 2015, 09:46:01 AM
Quote from: ludermor on September 01, 2015, 09:32:24 AM
https://www.facebook.com/Hill16Army/photos/a.406058002870992.1073741828.406048692871923/701811283295661/?type=1&fref=nf

Some of the stuff here is going way overboard! there will be riots next Saturday if this keeps up.
I was in McGraths at about 8pm on Sunday night. Good chats with few older Dublin supporters, sound lads and fair assessments of the game.

Word filtered through that it was kicking off outside...had a gawk out the door expecting to see a mix of colours going at it. Just blue jerseys pucking the heads off each other...had to laugh.
Probably soccer fans dressed as Dublin Gaa fans..

Biggest soccer analogy I saw was COC's role in DCs red card. Hope he's suitably embarrassed but doubt it. I expect he'll try his best to ref the replay as well
Biggest soccer analogy i saw was McMahon diving and feigning injury. Hope hes suitably embarrassed but doubt it

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: macdanger2 on September 01, 2015, 12:48:57 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on September 01, 2015, 12:45:18 PM
The incident itself did not seem to have anything really untoward with it, checking runs like that is commonplace enough.

Have a look at this video clip and you'll see that it was Connolly who started the incident in which he ended up getting the line. I've no doubt he was targeted at various points in the game but this one was of his own making

https://t.co/IYZoJ7S73b

Yeah, I don't think the incident was anything really more than the type of marking job you'd expect on one of the opposition's main players. The yellow to Keegan and red to Connolly was the right call from the referee but I don't think Mayo can have any complaints if he gets his suspension overturned given they successfully appealed a clear as day red card for Keane.

The Aristocrat

Quote from: mikehunt on September 01, 2015, 12:47:00 PM
Quote from: The Aristocrat on September 01, 2015, 12:11:38 PM
All joking and messing aside lads, if someone needs anger management classes its a mental health issue and should not be sneered at or abused by fans or antagonised by players on the pitch.

If anyone spoke to Duirmuid outside of the playing pitch, he's a gent, a true club man and looking back in reeling in the years in 20 years time you would all be going, Jesus, what a player he was for club and county.

AZOffaly, I think what he means by raciest they are abusing comments against the travelling community, even though Connolly is not and I think what he means by cowards is people who personally abuse people behind keyboards.

At the end of the day, its a game, an amateur one at that.

typical of de dubs over the years to try and bully and intimidate opposition teams and throw their toys out of the pram when it's put up to them. All fine and dandy when they're walloping Longford by 50 points but different kettle of fish when faced with a more skillful, disciplined and physically stronger outfit, then they resort to type and bring the dirt.I had began to soften my stance on them since Gavin took over but he's no different than the likes of Caffrey the honourable gurad who encouraged the bully boy tactics. Remember his cowardly shoulder in to the back of one of the Mayo backroom team. GAA then had the neck to introduce a law that allocated the hill to Dublin when warming up.Typical GAA bias towards the major revenue generators.

Thanks for the reply Mike, stop bringing up the past, its 2015 now man. Totally different. Pillar nice bloke, Guard as well, good club man down Na Fianna, manages numerous teams, top guy.

I understand your hatred for the Dubs, I do man, but I suggest you find a quiet room away from all other people and scream at the top of your voice and let it all out.

Mayo4Sam

It's strange that people from either side can be so blinkered.

Yes Keegan targeted Connolly to try and wind him up. Not because Connolly is a tr**p off the pitch but because he's the best player that Dublin have. Likewise McMahon targeted AOS because he's the best on the mayo team. It's to be expected.
The difference is Connolly eventually took the bait and gave Keegan a dig, AOS kept the head all day
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

The Aristocrat

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on September 01, 2015, 01:04:50 PM
It's strange that people from either side can be so blinkered.

Yes Keegan targeted Connolly to try and wind him up. Not because Connolly is a tr**p off the pitch but because he's the best player that Dublin have. Likewise McMahon targeted AOS because he's the best on the mayo team. It's to be expected.
The difference is Connolly eventually took the bait and gave Keegan a dig, AOS kept the head all day

Inaccurate, one mistake in life doesn't make you that, a gentleman, a great club man and a hero.

O Shea just didn't get caught, gave as good as he got and then went to the media to tell them about it.

general_lee

This thread is great value  ;D

As for Diarmuid Connolly he is a bit of an enigma. I love him as a footballer. He's sheer class.

He's also a bit of a thug (in footballing terms before some people shit themselves) and whether you care to admit it or not every good team needs a thug. Some teams go about their thuggish behaviour discretely while others are less conspicuous. Some teams do it collectively others do it individually. Obviously those in the latter categories can become a liability as we have seen with DC's sending off. Sometimes their antics pay off and sometimes they don't. IMO they are a necessary evil. They bring bite to a game. They get the crowd going. Long live thuggish behaviour.

If DC played for your own county you'd absolutely love him.

mikehunt

Quote from: The Aristocrat on September 01, 2015, 01:00:52 PM

Thanks for the reply Mike, stop bringing up the past, its 2015 now man. Totally different. Pillar nice bloke, Guard as well, good club man down Na Fianna, manages numerous teams, top guy.

No wonder Dublin is like Mogadishu if that's the type you have policing your streets.

Nihilist

I have sympathy for Connolly, people know he has a short fuse and the more he lashes out when riled the more people will target him. I think the referees need to give him a bit more protection. The incident itself did not seem to have anything really untoward with it, checking runs like that is commonplace enough.

Good point. It is commonplace in all games now. It happened loads of times to Mayo on Sunday as well and happens throughout the entire championship. So why should Connolly get any special treatment as no one else gets it?

Then he lashes out and we're supposed to say "Aww, sure lookit he's got anger management problems".
That's not an excuse. In fact I thought he had dealt with them .

Evidently not.

The Aristocrat

Quote from: mikehunt on September 01, 2015, 01:10:52 PM

No wonder Dublin is like Mogadishu if that's the type you have policing your streets.

;D

I've been to Mogadishu, nice spot, nice locals, good food, a place there called Jimmy's Tavern, if your over in Somalia, that's the place to be, they don't call it the white pearl of the Indian ocean for nothing. Dublin is like the blue pearl, greatest city in the world, most friendliest city too.

Quote from: general_lee on September 01, 2015, 01:09:08 PM

As for Diarmuid Connolly he is a bit of an enigma. I love him as a footballer. He's sheer class.

He's also a bit of a thug (in footballing terms before some people shit themselves) and whether you care to admit it or not every good team needs a thug. Some teams go about their thuggish behaviour discretely while others are less conspicuous. Some teams do it collectively others do it individually. Obviously those in the latter categories can become a liability as we have seen with DC's sending off. Sometimes their antics pay off and sometimes they don't. IMO they are a necessary evil. They bring bite to a game. They get the crowd going. Long live thuggish behaviour.

Not too sure, sent off twice, once due to a Donegal player diving and this year due a wrong ref decision. Gets assaulted and abused every game by players and fans.

Philly Mc never sent off in champo.

Both gents, great club men, do a lot for their club and train kids etc, no media etc. Its great, both well liked and good role models.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Nihilist on September 01, 2015, 01:14:06 PM
I have sympathy for Connolly, people know he has a short fuse and the more he lashes out when riled the more people will target him. I think the referees need to give him a bit more protection. The incident itself did not seem to have anything really untoward with it, checking runs like that is commonplace enough.

Good point. It is commonplace in all games now. It happened loads of times to Mayo on Sunday as well and happens throughout the entire championship. So why should Connolly get any special treatment as no one else gets it?

Then he lashes out and we're supposed to say "Aww, sure lookit he's got anger management problems".
That's not an excuse. In fact I thought he had dealt with them .

Evidently not.

I don't believe he should get special treatment for checking runs but I do believe teams go out and target him and rile him up. Most teams target the best opposition players in this regard, Sean Cavanagh has been on the receiving end of it for years but Cavanagh has a great temperament and has been able to use this to his advantage a lot of the time. I wasn't at the game so I'd probably missed a lot of the off the ball stuff you would absorb at the match, I'm sure O'Shea was targetted by McMahon but O'Shea has a good temperament and wasn't falling for it. Connolly is a hot head and although he has done well controlling it in the past, history dictates that if you wind him up, he'll snap and it works, therefore the incentive is there for teams to engage in this with Connolly. I think he needs a bit more vigilance from referees in this regard.

Hound

Quote from: macdanger2 on September 01, 2015, 12:48:57 PM
The incident itself did not seem to have anything really untoward with it, checking runs like that is commonplace enough.

Have a look at this video clip and you'll see that it was Connolly who started the incident in which he ended up getting the line. I've no doubt he was targeted at various points in the game but this one was of his own making

https://t.co/IYZoJ7S73b
Thanks for that. First time I've seen it.

Not sure how you can say Connolly started it. Keegan put his right arm out to block his run. Connolly pushed his right arm out to push Keegan away. Keegan grabbed him to stop his run, Connolly grab him back and both went to ground. A lot of handbags on the ground, then there's one strike by Connolly, but the angle doesn't show whether there was any connection. Nothing at all from Keegan's reaction would indicate he was struck. Then they both get up and run off side-by-side as if nothing happened! It was only Cillian crying to the linesman that resulted in the red card.

The linesman didn't see whether there was an actual strike or not. He had a similar view to the camera. So he could only have acknowledged an "attempt to strike". So if the ref's report says strike rather than attempted strike , perhaps there's a chance he'll get off.

Overall it was a nothing incident and would be very harsh to miss an All Ireland semi final over

I would have been more confident of a successful appeal if the Keane one hadn't happened. The criticism the CCCC got over that might make them unlikely to over-turn a decision this time.

general_lee

Attempting to strike is still a red card so I don't see why he would get off? Regardless of what the ref says In his report it's still a red card offence

screenexile

What a load of shite!!

Michael Murphy is subjected to plenty of shite and you don't see him trying to take the heads off boys or crying to the newspapers (a lá Cavanagh). Likewise AOS gets plenty of abuse on the field but doesn't raise his fists so you lads whinging about Connolly getting unfairly treated need to realise that he's not getting it worse than other top players and that unless he gets his temper in check this will keep happening.

Murphy in his younger days had a discipline problem but got it sorted out fairly sharpish. Connolly is 28 now and in fairness to him he's not complaining about it in the papers and didn't make a big deal about it on Sunday. The fact you lads are making excuses for him and saying that he's the only one who suffers from this type of thing is making it worse, you would want to sit back and look at things in the cold light of day.

Your incessant ramblings and conspiracy theorys are actually giving Connolly a bad name and blowing this thing completely out of proportion when really all he did was react badly to a bit of niggly stuff which he should know better than to do! He should take his ban and move on!

JoG2

Quote from: The Aristocrat on September 01, 2015, 01:24:31 PM
Quote from: mikehunt on September 01, 2015, 01:10:52 PM

;D

I've been to Mogadishu, nice spot, nice locals, good food, a place there called Jimmy's Tavern, if your over in Somalia, that's the place to be, they don't call it the white pearl of the Indian ocean for nothing. Dublin is like the blue pearl, greatest city in the world, most friendliest city too.

Quote from: general_lee on September 01, 2015, 01:09:08 PM

Not too sure, sent off twice, once due to a Donegal player diving and this year due a wrong ref decision. Gets assaulted and abused every game by players and fans.

Philly Mc never sent off in champo.

Both gents, great club men, do a lot for their club and train kids etc, no media etc. Its great, both well liked and good role models.

ach would you devalve ffs. Nobody is questioning whether these men are the next mother Theresa or not. If you act the tube on the football pitch, expect consequences. And grow a set of balls and call these incidents for what they are.

McMahon: Category III Infractions
5.8 To strike or to attempt to strike an opponent
with the head.

Connolly: Category II Infractions
5.1 To strike or to attempt to strike an opponent
with arm, elbow, hand or knee

Read the above, take note. Close down the computer, switch off the 3G / wi-fi on the phone. Go out for a walk

Canalman

Quote from: general_lee on September 01, 2015, 01:37:51 PM
Attempting to strike is still a red card so I don't see why he would get off? Regardless of what the ref says In his report it's still a red card offence

Agreed. Except if seems if you are a Mayo footballer.

This is why I think DC will play next Saturday and GAA will have to put up hands and acknowledge that the whole disciplinary proceduresis a mess , be torn up and rewritten over the winter.