Hurling 2024

Started by seafoid, January 01, 2023, 08:24:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clonadmad

How is it a closed shop if Kerry win the Joe Mc and get into the Munster Championship based on results?

Are you saying they should be parachuted over other Joe McDonagh level teams purely because they are based in Munster?

As regards weaker counties developing hurling

Kilkenny for  all the bad press with regards to them and football

they still have 30 plus of their clubs playing football

Where are the equivalent counties that would be strong in football and have 30 of their clubs  playing hurling?

The fact is,there isn't

marty34

Quote from: clonadmad on May 22, 2023, 03:01:13 PM
How is it a closed shop if Kerry win the Joe Mc and get into the Munster Championship based on results?

Are you saying they should be parachuted over other Joe McDonagh level teams purely because they are based in Munster?

Where are the equivalent counties that would be strong in football and have 30 of their clubs  playing hurling?

The fact is,there isn't

They are the only county in Munster not playing in it.

Westmeath and Antrim are in the Leinster championship. Are you saying to me that Kerry wouldn't give them a good game?

marty34

The fact is,there isn't

Do Kilkenny have a NFL team?

Clare, Cork and Limerick are strong in football.

clonadmad

Quote from: marty34 on May 22, 2023, 03:07:48 PM

The fact is,there isn't

Westmeath and Antrim are in the Leinster championship. Are you saying to me that Kerry wouldn't give them a good game?

You do know how the Joe McDonagh competition works ?

Are you saying they should get promoted to the Liam McCarthy over every other county in the Joe Mc  purely on the fact that they are based in Munster ?

marty34

Quote from: clonadmad on May 22, 2023, 04:09:23 PM

The fact is,there isn't

Are you saying they should get promoted to the Liam McCarthy over every other county in the Joe Mc  purely on the fact that they are based in Munster ?

Yeah, I am saying that. They're the only team in Munster not playing in Munster. I'd may an exception.

Seems like the big boys want to keep a closed shop - for all the grá of hurling in Munster, it's a clear case of hurling snobbery at its finest.

By the way, if you're so excerised over the the Joe Mc Donagh, are you saying the winners and runners up should qualify instead of the 4th placed teams in Leinster and Munster?

marty34

The fact is,there isn't

Now why would teams from Leinster/Down play in the Munster championship?

That'd just be silly now.

johnnycool

Quote from: marty34 on May 22, 2023, 04:58:01 PM

The fact is,there isn't

Yeah, I am saying that. They're the only team in Munster not playing in Munster. I'd may an exception.

Seems like the big boys want to keep a closed shop - for all the grá of hurling in Munster, it's a clear case of hurling snobbery at its finest.

By the way, if you're so excerised over the the Joe Mc Donagh, are you saying the winners and runners up should qualify instead of the 4th placed teams in Leinster and Munster?

Munster is a fine championship but there's no jeopardy in it. No relegation no matter how bad you are, that is pretty difficult to change and the obvious way would be to give Kerry if they're runners up in the Joe McDonagh a crack at it.
Bottom team in Munster vrs Kerry who'd obviously go straight into Munster if they win the Joe McDonagh outright...

Come to think of it, any way you cut it, it would be a mess..

Open draw anyone?

;D

For those of an older disposition will know that once a long long time ago Galway played in the Munster championship, but felt they weren't getting a fair crack at it and left.

clonadmad

The fact is,there isn't

so Kerry should be taken out of the joe McDonagh and put in the Liam McCarthy competition over all the other Joe McDonagh teams

If Kerry are good enough they will win the Joe Mc at some point and enter the Munster championship

clonadmad

Quote from: johnnycool on May 22, 2023, 05:06:42 PM

The fact is,there isn't

Munster is a fine championship but there's no jeopardy in it. No relegation no matter how bad you are, that is pretty difficult to change and the obvious way would be to give Kerry if they're runners up in the Joe McDonagh a crack at it.
Bottom team in Munster vrs Kerry who'd obviously go straight into Munster if they win the Joe McDonagh outright...

Open draw anyone?

;D

For those of an older disposition will know that once a long long time ago Galway played in the Munster championship, but felt they weren't getting a fair crack at it and left.

Galway lost all the games they played in the Munster Championship

That's why they left

seafoid

Quote from: clonadmad on May 22, 2023, 06:01:42 PM

The fact is,there isn't

so Kerry should be taken out of the joe McDonagh and put in the Liam McCarthy competition over all the other Joe McDonagh teams

If Kerry are good enough they will win the Joe Mc at some point and enter the Munster championship
Kerry have fewer hurling clubs than other counties at the same level. The hurling footprint would be similar to Down's. It limits how much progress they can make.

johnnycool

Quote from: clonadmad on May 22, 2023, 06:03:24 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on May 22, 2023, 05:06:42 PM

The fact is,there isn't

Open draw anyone?

;D

Galway lost all the games they played in the Munster Championship

That's why they left

they won one, but my point still stands, perceptions are everything.

clonadmad

Quote from: seafoid on May 23, 2023, 07:56:56 AM

The fact is,there isn't

Kerry have fewer hurling clubs than other counties at the same level. The hurling footprint would be similar to Down's. It limits how much progress they can make.

How many hurling clubs are there in Down?

How many clubs are there in Kerry?

The Premierview Podcast

The fact is,there isn't

such absolute drivel

Firstly you didn't know that if Kerry won the Joe Mc Donagh, they would be in the Munster Championship

Then you wanted Kerry taken out of the Joe McDonagh and put in Munster regardless even thought they aren't good enough to win it at the minute and over the heads of all the other teams competing in the Joe McDonagh

Now its a grand conspiracy by the Hurling Elite to keep hurling down

Liam Griffin had a motion before congress that every Gaa club would have a hurling team up to u9/11

Everyone of your downtrodden northern counties voted against it

how about you start there with your "closed shop" bull shit

marty34

Quote from: clonadmad on May 23, 2023, 08:21:33 AM
Quote from: seafoid on May 23, 2023, 07:56:56 AM

The fact is,there isn't

How many hurling clubs are there in Down?

How many clubs are there in Kerry?

Read my previous point about more clubs are needed in these counties to move on to the next level. 

Carlow I think would have 4 or 5 senior clubs also.

It's all about getting more regional based clubs at underage level (a seperate club with 3 or 4 football clubs feeding into it) and with a good group of coaches - moving likely blow ins to the area but who are mad for hurling.  Building it from that.  Can be done if the will is there.  Needs to work on big numbers to develop properly).

johnnycool

Quote from: The Premierview Podcast on May 23, 2023, 08:41:15 AM

The fact is,there isn't

such absolute drivel

Firstly you didn't know that if Kerry won the Joe Mc Donagh, they would be in the Munster Championship

Then you wanted Kerry taken out of the Joe McDonagh and put in Munster regardless even thought they aren't good enough to win it at the minute and over the heads of all the other teams competing in the Joe McDonagh

Now its a grand conspiracy by the Hurling Elite to keep hurling down

Liam Griffin had a motion before congress that every Gaa club would have a hurling team up to u9/11

Everyone of your downtrodden northern counties voted against it

how about you start there with your "closed shop" bull shit

You are probably fully aware that barring Antrim all the other northern counties are footballing dominated and the county boards reflect that in their decision making.

Liams motion was well intended but impractical and what I'd prefer that Croke park insist that there's certain days of the week/month set aside for hurling only.

Go games blitzes be organised within the county and kids who want to hurl but are from a football only play for amalgamations organised by the counties GDO's.

Kids will play anything if given the chance, but far too many CB's and clubs make kids decide on one or the other. Let's allocate slots so that this isn't the case.

Dublin used to do this, probably still do where each alternate Saturday morning is rotated between hurling and football. More counties need to adopt this approach.