Best Comedy Series/Programme

Started by 5 Sams, November 16, 2007, 08:58:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Sams

Something POG said on another thread got me thinking...he's a Frasier fan....myself I wouldn't give it a second glance....but IMHO the funniest things I have seen on telly over the the last locka years are: (Post examples of each lads if yiz can)

D'Unbelievables

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEwVpWFyy3M

Only Fools

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=KLYvSWJUBb8

The Office

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=AKpybGYozeE

The Two Ronnies

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=qu9MptWyCB8

The Aristocrat Years

Tankie

South Park is the best comedy on TV at the mo. (too many great example to post)
Grand Slam Saturday!

Gabriel_Hurl

It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia

trust me on this

pintsofguinness

I watch a lot of comedy and would be a fan of most of it but I've never found anything that even comes close to Frasier. 
Most of the comedy in it is very subtle and very clever, there aint many cheap laughs. 
A lot of comedy shows go for exaggeration of reality, Frasier doesn't, it's unique.
I do think to get the full affect of it you need be very familiar with the workings of the characters.  It takes a very special show to last 11 years. Can you imagine 11 years of the office?

Also I can't think of any actor in any comedy series that come close to the standard of David Hyde Pierce or Kesley Grammar.
(David Jason is the only one that would have any sort of an argument.) 

Everyone can come round to my house when I get Season 10 delivered from the US and we can watch it from series 1 right through. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

saffron sam2

the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

ziggysego

I'm in agreement to. Fraiser is one of the best when it comes to situation comedy.
Testing Accessibility

J70

Frasier
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Arrested Development
Phil Silvers Show
Fawlty Towers
Seinfeld

J70

Malcom in the Middle is excellent too.

tyroneboi

Quote from: pintsofguinness on November 16, 2007, 09:50:48 PM
I watch a lot of comedy and would be a fan of most of it but I've never found anything that even comes close to Frasier. 
Most of the comedy in it is very subtle and very clever, there aint many cheap laughs. 
A lot of comedy shows go for exaggeration of reality, Frasier doesn't, it's unique.
I do think to get the full affect of it you need be very familiar with the workings of the characters.  It takes a very special show to last 11 years. Can you imagine 11 years of the office?

Also I can't think of any actor in any comedy series that come close to the standard of David Hyde Pierce or Kesley Grammar.

Everyone can come round to my house when I get Season 10 delivered from the US and we can watch it from series 1 right through. 

and also the fact that it was essentially a spin off of Cheers (which was another great comedy) makes it even better in my opinion.

There aren't many spin off shows that are a success. As you say say Pints there aren't a lot of obvious and cheap jokes.

Other great shows:
My Name is Earl
Scrubs
Royle Family
Only Fools

pintsofguinness

Quoteand also the fact that it was essentially a spin off of Cheers (which was another great comedy) makes it even better in my opinion.

There aren't many spin off shows that are a success. As you say say Pints there aren't a lot of obvious and cheap jokes.
And of course, one of the greatest parts of the show...Maris Crane, I can't think off another show of any kind that arguably one of it's main characters never appeared and over the course of 11 years, the way that was done was just genius.

I also like
Black Books
The Detectives
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Thin Blue Line
Peep Show
Shameless 
Malcolm in the Middle
Spin City
My Family
Only Fools and Horses
The Office
One Foot in the Grave
The Royle Family (deserves a lot of credit for pulling off that idea)
Waiting for God
Seinfeld
That 70s Show
Fresh Prince
Vicar of Dibley
Teachers

DirtyDozen12

Just after watching 2 episodes of South Park on Paramount channel.  After so many seasons these guys keep it original & funny every time.  Definitely don't want to be watching it with youngsters in the room though!!

Peep show up among the best as well.
Beer, now there's a temporary solution!!!

saffron sam2

Quote from: tyroneboi on November 16, 2007, 10:15:13 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on November 16, 2007, 09:50:48 PM

and also the fact that it was essentially a spin off of Cheers (which was another great comedy) makes it even better in my opinion.

Other great shows:
My Name is Earl
Scrubs
Royle Family
Only Fools

Forgot My Name is Earl - a decent runner-up.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Square Ball

A lot of what POG likes

My Family
Only Fools and Horses
One Foot in the Grave
That 70s Show
Fresh Prince
faulty Towers
any thing with Billy Connolly, funniest man in the world
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

stew

Square ball, pog hates billy connolly and that means that he has very little taste. :P

Saw Conolly live in Boston and he was the funniest man I have ever seen.

Frasier is a decent show but give me Blackadder, red Dwarf or only fools and horses any day.

Cheers is also a great show and Harry the hat was a tremendous character in that show, the episode where they finally get one over on the rival bar onwer was tremendous tv.

*Mash* is another wonderful show, the movie though was even better.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

pintsofguinness

QuoteSquare ball, pog hates billy connolly and that means that he has very little taste
Well remembered stew!

Can't stand connolly!  or faulty towers!

Have to say I've blackadder on DVD but never really got into it.
Bought arrested development some time ago but only started watching it today - quite funny.