Being a neutral supporter for All-Ireland finals

Started by blanketattack, September 03, 2012, 02:28:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ard-Rí

I never watch as a neutral. I pick a side, and take their part if none of my own are playing ... haven't decided for the AI final yet, would it be cruel to watch Mayo suffer another final defeat? Would it be worse if a Meath man was cheering for them? Decisions, Decisions ...
Ar son Éireann Gaelaí

thewobbler

I'm a bit torn on this one.

I'm usually anyone but Kerry, which means I've someone to cheer on most years.

Provincial loyalties are with Donegal, extended family loyalties with Mayo.

I reckon it's going to go to the wire though, so I'll probably do the better-priced Mayo on the day, an that will sway me westwards.

Eamonnca1

I've been to many's an All Ireland hurling final as a neutral. Being from Armagh there's hardly any other way I could have done it. I never felt like I deprived anybody of a seat, in fact the first time I went I was in the Nally Stand with my dad, and with my brother squeezed into the same seat as me in the old lift-over-the-turnstiles tradition.   The way I see it if you're passionate enough about the game and if you put in enough work to promote it where it's not as widely played then you've as much right to be there as anybody else. My conscience is clear.

Glensman

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on September 03, 2012, 11:11:18 PM
I've been to many's an All Ireland hurling final as a neutral. Being from Armagh there's hardly any other way I could have done it. I never felt like I deprived anybody of a seat, in fact the first time I went I was in the Nally Stand with my dad, and with my brother squeezed into the same seat as me in the old lift-over-the-turnstiles tradition.   The way I see it if you're passionate enough about the game and if you put in enough work to promote it where it's not as widely played then you've as much right to be there as anybody else. My conscience is clear.

+1

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Ard-Rí on September 03, 2012, 10:57:22 PM
I never watch as a neutral. I pick a side, and take their part if none of my own are playing ... haven't decided for the AI final yet, would it be cruel to watch Mayo suffer another final defeat? Would it be worse if a Meath man was cheering for them? Decisions, Decisions ...

Feck sake 1996 was a long time ago  ;D sure we are long over that craic.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: johnneycool on September 03, 2012, 04:29:44 PM
Quote from: deiseach on September 03, 2012, 04:08:13 PM
I'm never neutral in any inter-county match. This isn't Real Madrid v Barcelona, I'll always unearth some ancient grudge that will give me someone to root against.

I'd always support the underdog in hurling (but wouldn't lose any sleep if they didn't win) in particular if they're playing Kilkenny, Cork and to a lesser extent Tipp who I'm beginning to feel sorry for of recent as they're glory days are in a bygone era before my time.
Waterford would have got my sympathy vote in recent times. Other than that I would support anyone playing against Cork (any code) or against Tyrone/Down(football).

Ard-Rí

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on September 03, 2012, 11:16:49 PM
Quote from: Ard-Rí on September 03, 2012, 10:57:22 PM

Feck sake 1996 was a long time ago  ;D sure we are long over that craic.

Felt the touches of it after the minor game :P in fairness you're right though, and I have bugger all connection to Donegal either.
Ar son Éireann Gaelaí

RMDrive

Rings a little hollow to be honest. You know you are denying someone from one of the competing counties a seat. If that's your decision then fair enough but don't try to present it as something other than that.

Farrandeelin

I try to go to the finals Mayo are in. I don't look for tickets if Mayo (minors or seniors) aren't there. Feel kind of guilty denying a person from a county that's participating a ticket. I attended the 2010 hurling final though and cheered for Tipp.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Syferus

Quote from: RMDrive on September 03, 2012, 11:59:08 PM

Rings a little hollow to be honest. You know you are denying someone from one of the competing counties a seat. If that's your decision then fair enough but don't try to present it as something other than that.

Crazy stuff. AI final day is the biggest neutral day of the year. This idea that if it wasn't for neutrals Croke Park would be filled with 82,000 supporters of the teams involved is ridiculous in almost every case. If there was no neutral interest it wouldn't be the All-Ireland final. Trying to play that guilt card is the softest-boiled crap I've ever heard.

RMDrive

Quote from: Syferus on September 04, 2012, 12:06:46 AM

Crazy stuff. AI final day is the biggest neutral day of the year. This idea that if it wasn't was neutrals Croke Park would be filled with 82,000 supporters of the teams involved is ridiculous in almost every case. If there was no neutral interest it wouldn't be the All-Ireland final. Trying to play that guilt card is the softest-boiled crap I've ever heard.

Right, so Mayo and Donegal couldn't bring 82k between them? Soft-boiled crap indeed.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: RMDrive on September 04, 2012, 12:09:46 AM
Quote from: Syferus on September 04, 2012, 12:06:46 AM

Crazy stuff. AI final day is the biggest neutral day of the year. This idea that if it wasn't was neutrals Croke Park would be filled with 82,000 supporters of the teams involved is ridiculous in almost every case. If there was no neutral interest it wouldn't be the All-Ireland final. Trying to play that guilt card is the softest-boiled crap I've ever heard.

Right, so Mayo and Donegal couldn't bring 82k between them? Soft-boiled crap indeed.

Your right RM of course Mayo and Donegal could fill the place but Syfrus is correct that its a day for everyone.

I have been to

Mayo V Meath 1996 (the first game)
Mayo V Kerry   1997
Mayo V Kerry   2004
Tyrone V Kerry 2005
Mayo V Kerry   2006
Kilkenny V Limerick 2007 2007 Hurling
Cork V Kerry    2007
Cork V Kerry   2009

I think Mayo were playing in the Minors at least 2 of those 3 years Mayo not playing in the football and of course as a Mayoman what chance will I ever see Mayo play Hurling in the Senior Final.

8 Finals is not bad as it goes, the way it goes with tickets.

Feck I have seen Kerry play alot on All-Ireland Day.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

BennyCake

That's fair enough. My earlier point was why would someone (ie. Aristo 60) go to an AI final when he/she obviously hated both teams involved?

Eamonnca1

Competing counties get their allocation of tickets. If you're from a competing county and you didn't get one then you have to reach out to contacts outside of your county to get one. The only way I'd be depriving someone from a competing county of a ticket would be if, say, Kilkenny and Galway were in the final and I got my ticket via a contact in Kilkenny or Galway rather than through my Armagh connections.

LeoMc

Quote from: Aristo 60 on September 03, 2012, 04:53:19 PM
Quote from: seafoid on September 03, 2012, 04:51:36 PM
Quote from: Aristo 60 on September 03, 2012, 04:45:37 PM
To sorta turn the topic on it's head I 've been to 8 all ireland football finals and in only one did I want to see both teams beaten....

I let you the reader decide which one !

1991, 1994, 1995, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004 & 2010
has to be 03

Ahhh you know me as well as me own mum  ;D

He knows you as well as he knows your Mum? ;)