Ulster venue to host International Rules first test in 2013

Started by BennyCake, January 31, 2013, 01:25:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which Ulster venue should host the first Rules test in 2013?

Athletic Grounds, Armagh
Breffni Park, Cavan
Celtic Park, Derry
Pairc Esler, Newry

Maguire01

Quote from: rodney trotter on February 23, 2013, 11:29:04 AM
Quote from: Maguire01 on February 23, 2013, 10:02:06 AM
Quote from: rodney trotter on February 23, 2013, 09:44:07 AM
Quote from: Maguire01 on February 23, 2013, 08:42:57 AM
I find it hard to believe that Breffni's capacity is 32,000 - only 3-4,000 less than Clones.
More like you don't want to believe that Breffi's capacity is 32,000.
Why would I not want to believe? What difference would that make?
When was the last time there was 20,000 punters in Breffni? Was it still 1/3 empty?

Well you are clearly in shock that Breffni holds 32,000 . The last time it got 20,000 was around 04. Cavan football haven't had much to shout about in the last few years, some poor managers led to poor results which lead to peopple not turning up.

Hopefully you will get over it though, Monaghan - Clones got its fair share of big games.
Get over what exactly? It doesn't bother me where the game is - I'm just sceptical of the capacity you quoted, especially given that I can't remember a game there with anything even approaching that capacity.

rodney trotter

Quote from: Maguire01 on February 23, 2013, 12:03:49 PM
I find it hard to believe that Breffni's capacity is 32,000 - only 3-4,000 less than Clones.
When was the last time there was 20,000 punters in Breffni? Was it still 1/3 empty?

Well you are clearly in shock that Breffni holds 32,000 . The last time it got 20,000 was around 04. Cavan football haven't had much to shout about in the last few years, some poor managers led to poor results which lead to peopple not turning up.

Hopefully you will get over it though, Monaghan - Clones got its fair share of big games.
Get over what exactly? It doesn't bother me where the game is - I'm just sceptical of the capacity you quoted, especially given that I can't remember a game there with anything even approaching that capacity.

Good man Maguire, as I already said Cavan supporters haven't been turning out in big Numbers to the few Championship games.

Donegal in the Championship2011 and 2012 Cavan came off the back of very poor league runs, the confidence was poor and the supporters gave Cavan no hope. Around 10,000 on both occasions , maybe less in 2011.

Fermnagh played against Cavanin Brefnni in 09, on a Saturday evening in the championship and that got a poor turn out.

You also have to look at the fact Maguire. Cavan doesn't hold ULSTER FINALS, like Monaghans finest Clones has been doing since jesus was born....

rodney trotter

Its very hard to fill a ground when there is probaly only game big Championship game played there every year if that even.

More so when the team had been coming off the back of a poor League run.

Not every year Cavan have had games in Breffni, some away games in Belfast. Clones host a lot of Ulster games, semi finals , finals.

Rossfan

Congrats to Breffni and Cavan Co Board on getting this game.
Will be handy for me as well  :D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Maguire01

Quote from: rodney trotter on February 23, 2013, 12:19:33 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on February 23, 2013, 12:03:49 PM

Good man Maguire, as I already said Cavan supporters haven't been turning out in big Numbers to the few Championship games.

Donegal in the Championship2011 and 2012 Cavan came off the back of very poor league runs, the confidence was poor and the supporters gave Cavan no hope. Around 10,000 on both occasions , maybe less in 2011.

Fermnagh played against Cavanin Brefnni in 09, on a Saturday evening in the championship and that got a poor turn out.

You also have to look at the fact Maguire. Cavan doesn't hold ULSTER FINALS, like Monaghans finest Clones has been doing since jesus was born....
You're missing my point. Clones is irrelevent to this, bar the fact that we know how many people it holds, because it has been full. I know Cavan doesn't hold Ulster Finals - that's not relevant either. My point is that I find it hard to believe that Breffni can hold 32,000 - and I'm not sure on what basis (apart from Wikipedia) such a capacity is quoted.

As an aside however, if this will be the first time that Breffni had been full in the last 10-15 years, it points again to the folly of the GAA in developing stadia with excessive capacity, at the expense of quality.

rodney trotter

Kinspan Breffni Park when it was redevloped the official attendance was given 32,000. But h/s limit it to 24,000. But I think a big event like the International Rules it can be catered to host the full 32,OOO Capacity.

tommysmith

Quote from: rodney trotter on February 24, 2013, 10:58:25 AM
Kinspan Breffni Park when it was redevloped the official attendance was given 32,000. But h/s limit it to 24,000. But I think a big event like the International Rules it can be catered to host the full 32,OOO Capacity.

Just been awkward Rodney but on what basic do you think this?

rodney trotter

Quote from: tommysmith on February 24, 2013, 12:26:01 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on February 24, 2013, 10:58:25 AM

Just been awkward Rodney but on what basic do you think this?

Well being an Irish team obviously, to see players like Bernard Brogan, Aidan Walsh, Michael Murphy playing in Breffni. It might not appeal for everyone, but I will be going, if I'm around.

tommysmith

No why do you think the capacity can be brought up to 32k?

rodney trotter

I suppose when it can hold 32,000. They might look into with the Health and Safety, especially if there will be a demand for tickets. Need to promote it well., not until October so they have time to think about it. Ulster Championship first round game would never get 32,000. Unless Breffni was hosting a final.

Maguire01

Quote from: rodney trotter on February 24, 2013, 01:04:24 PM
I suppose when it can hold 32,000. They might look into with the Health and Safety, especially if there will be a demand for tickets. Need to promote it well., not until October so they have time to think about it.
What H&S issues are there to be addressed?

Quote from: rodney trotter on February 24, 2013, 01:04:24 PM
Ulster Championship first round game would never get 32,000. Unless Breffni was hosting a final.
So why, you'd have to ask, was it ever built with that capacity?

rodney trotter

As I said the capacity is reduced to 24,000. Not that it has ever been full to that amount in a long time. I don't know what needs to looked at Maguire, I didn't design Breffni.

I also don't know why they developed it that big, maybe because of the Sponsors Kingspan , they have the naming rights of the stadium, maybe they wanted a big Stadium. Perhaps hoping Cavan would get a Ulster Final...

But you seem very intregiued Maguire, so perhaps email Breffni park and find out yourself.

zoyler

Who ever wrote that press release for Croke Park does not know his history.  The Aussies played Ulster at the Athletic Grounds back in the early 80s - I know because I was at it!

Throw ball

Quote from: zoyler on February 24, 2013, 05:54:21 PM
Who ever wrote that press release for Croke Park does not know his history.  The Aussies played Ulster at the Athletic Grounds back in the early 80s - I know because I was at it!

So was I. Better than school!

Eamonnca1

I'm glad I didn't imagine that, coz I distinctly remember having a bit of time off school to watch compromise rules in the Athletic Grounds. Place was packed.