Is the earlier Championship a success or failure?

Started by full moon, May 07, 2022, 12:15:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Earlier Championship

Success
61 (37.7%)
Failure
67 (41.4%)
Too early to say
34 (21%)

Total Members Voted: 162

Taylor

Quote from: shark on September 01, 2023, 11:50:24 AM
Quote from: seafoid on September 01, 2023, 11:40:52 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on September 01, 2023, 11:28:51 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but the majority of Counties favour a group system followed by the best teams playing a knocknout closing stages.
Gives every team a chance of priming/improving before the hell for leather starts. Then the knockout fetishists can have their pleasure.
Also means a team just up from Inter gets 3 Senior Championship games.
Club Leagues are grand for a bit of exercise but with County lads not involved and player availability issues they don't count for a lot in the greater scheme of things.

The obsession of playing as few games as possible always amazes/amuses me, usually we'll summed up in the phrase "running off" a competition.
If I was running a soccer club I'd be delighted of course.
Hope is thinking something is worth working for. Optimism is thinking things will work out.
If County Boards genuinely want group stages and leagues and knockout , lets see how they feel after 5 years of injuries and burnout.

Players want group stages. Have you chatted to many? County boards do as they are instructed by clubs. More games is always the preferred option. If they don't have them they'll be training in its place.
These changes were driven by players , for players. Players love the changes. Let it be lads.

+1

Knockout stages are great for excitment and the buzz of the cship but no reason why there cant be group games before it.

As you rughtly say Shark - its not as if the players are resting - they are training like demons for the ko games. Any player I know would absolutely prefer to play games rather than train

square_ball

You're entitled to your opinion but the majority of Counties favour a group system followed by the best teams playing a knocknout closing stages.
Gives every team a chance of priming/improving before the hell for leather starts. Then the knockout fetishists can have their pleasure.
Club Leagues are grand for a bit of exercise but with County lads not involved and player availability issues they don't count for a lot in the greater scheme of things.

The obsession of playing as few games as possible always amazes/amuses me, usually we'll summed up in the phrase "running off" a competition.

Tell the 5 All Ireland medalists on show last weekend that it was a bit of exercise when they were busting their balls for their clubs in the game between Coalisland and Edendork trying to keep their clubs up in D1. 15 league games in Tyrone (at least 10 played with the full compliment of county players) all run off before your do or die championship match - it work 100% and have yet to hear any player come out and say differently. Just because other counties have made a hash of their leagues doesn't mean Tyrone have to go the way of the rest and play dead rubber 'championship' games before the real thing starts.

seafoid

Quote from: Rossfan on September 01, 2023, 11:55:28 AM
Well said Shark.
A player with a D1 Club in Ros would play a maximum of 18 games over 8 months from 1st March to end of October - 34 weekends.
11 League rounds, League Final, 3 Championship group games and 3 k.o. games up to Co Final.
A player with a D2/Inter Championship  team could have a minimum of 13 games over 27 weekends from 1/3 to we 2/3 Sept.
9 League rounds, 3 Championship group games and a play off game.

No one will be burnt out from Club games anyway.

How many games will Enda smith play in total?

trueblue1234

But I'm not complaining about the other 31 counties.  Each to their own. If they want to water down the "on the day" format of championship football then so be it. Just not something I would want for our county championship. The Tyrone championship is one of the most exciting (Not best before MR2 gets involved!!) about imo because of the chance of upsets. The league is there to give regular football. The championship is do or die. Not do a bit, then do a bit more, then do again until we ensure the best get to play in the big games.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

shark

Quote from: seafoid on September 01, 2023, 12:47:40 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on September 01, 2023, 11:55:28 AM
Well said Shark.
A player with a D1 Club in Ros would play a maximum of 18 games over 8 months from 1st March to end of October - 34 weekends.
11 League rounds, League Final, 3 Championship group games and 3 k.o. games up to Co Final.
A player with a D2/Inter Championship  team could have a minimum of 13 games over 27 weekends from 1/3 to we 2/3 Sept.
9 League rounds, 3 Championship group games and a play off game.

No one will be burnt out from Club games anyway.

How many games will Enda Smith play in total?

The same number as previously. We are done allowing concerns over the tiny minority dictate the schedules of the vast majority. And have you asked any county players what they think of the new split season? 100% of those I've spoken to prefer it now.
Counties like Tyrone can do as they please , but they can't be a template for everyone. For a start , they don't have to consider having to leave 50% of weekends for hurling.

Rossfan

Enda had 6 weeks without a game after the Cork debacle . Had a holiday away during that as well.
Not counting the silly Dome games-
County - 7 NFL, 2 Connacht, 4 AI.
3 Group games, probably  Qtr Final, hardly go any further.
17 likely, could be 19 if they make Co Final.
That 19 would be over around 40 weekends.

PS Shark, was reading earlier in Dexaminer that the Limerick hurling players are only delighted with the split season.

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Captain Scarlet

The players all seem happy. Club lads and County boys can plan holidays.
The clubs aren't having to drag a season out if it's starting later too.
Of course there are issues but a lot of that stems from County boards who can mess up most things.

In terms of the Player welfare for County fellas, their games to training ratio must be much better and that should mean they are not dogged out of it as much.

Lads would be in gyms, playing conditioned challenge games plus field training in the old system.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Rossfan

Quote from: trueblue1234 on September 01, 2023, 12:49:30 PM

But I'm not complaining about the other 31 counties.  Each to their own. If they want to water down the "on the day" format of championship football then so be it. Just not something I would want for our county championship. The Tyrone championship is one of the most exciting (Not best before MR2 gets involved!!) about imo because of the chance of upsets. The championship is do or die.
Our Championships become do or die, on the day, knock out and all that.
But YOU HAVE TO QUALIFY  for that stage.
A Championship is to find the best team and our systems facilitate that unlike the lottery stuff in Tyrone.

trueblue1234

Quote from: Rossfan on September 01, 2023, 07:36:27 PM

But I'm not complaining about the other 31 counties.  Each to their own. If they want to water down the "on the day" format of championship football then so be it. Just not something I would want for our county championship. The Tyrone championship is one of the most exciting (Not best before MR2 gets involved!!) about imo because of the chance of upsets. The championship is do or die.
A Championship is to find the best team and our systems facilitate that unlike the lottery stuff in Tyrone.
Is that not the point of a championship? The underdogs can have their day and don't need to qualify through a mini league that favours the top teams? You qualify for your level of championship based on what division you play in. Romance is dead in Roscommon. Long live the knock out.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: trueblue1234 on September 01, 2023, 07:41:55 PM

Is that not the point of a championship? The underdogs can have their day and don't need to qualify through a mini league that favours the top teams? You qualify for your level of championship based on what division you play in. Romance is dead in Roscommon. Long live the knock out.

Knock out does give the underdog a better chance and to be fair there is a straight knock out system in Roscommon after the group stage and from it last year you had Strokestown winning the county title who I don't think had played in a final for 20 years and their opponents Boyle reached their first Roscommon final in 95 years.

trueblue1234

Quote from: Cunny Funt on September 01, 2023, 08:22:04 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on September 01, 2023, 07:41:55 PM

Knock out does give the underdog a better chance and to be fair there is a straight knock out system in Roscommon after the group stage and from it last year you had Strokestown winning the county title who I don't think had played in a final for 20 years and their opponents Boyle reached their first Roscommon final in 95 years.
Yeah each yo their own. I just dont see the point in adding the round Robin stage. Makes it harder for the lesser lights to progress. In one off games anything can and does happen. I personally just don't see the need to water it down for part of it. That said, whatever suits each county I suppose.

Rossfan

Strokestown in Relegation playoffs losing to Tulsk by a point tonight.
Not much romance about them now!!
Tulsk who are favourites for relegation just about every tear hang on again.

general_lee

Dunno about other counties but Armagh are playing the last round of round robin matches this weekend to eliminate a grand total of ONE club from each of the 4 groups of 4. Tonight, Crossmaglen cruised to a 20pt facile victory against already eliminated Mullaghbawn. Not 100% sure if allowing scenarios like that is any better than straight ko.

Rossfan

thewobbler

Quote from: general_lee on September 01, 2023, 10:08:39 PM
Dunno about other counties but Armagh are playing the last round of round robin matches this weekend to eliminate a grand total of ONE club from each of the 4 groups of 4. Tonight, Crossmaglen cruised to a 20pt facile victory against already eliminated Mullaghbawn. Not 100% sure if allowing scenarios like that is any better than straight ko.

Based on finger in the air thoughts, mostly assumed from watching the Down SFC for 30 years.

I'd say 25% of clubs (and players) (call them group 1) in our SFC know they're a little below the level, and would be delighted with straight knock out as it gives them a hell and leather chance of landing a major scalp without dragging out their season when it inevitably doesn't happen (at least not twice).

I'd say 25% (group 2)  are deluded and don't realise they couldn't win their championship under any format. So they always want another chance or two.

I'd say 25% know they're a little short of winning a championship this season and the camp is split between those who want more games to help prepare for next season, and the more pragmatic thinkers who realise their best chance is pure knockout football, and an ideal draw when the biggest teams wipe each other out early.

The last 25% are proper contenders. Of course they want another chance or two. It plays in their favour that should they run into another contender early, then they stomach a defeat, rebuild and catch them in the long grass. Plus teams from group 1 and 2 are less likely to go at them hell for leather in earlier rounds. That's just human nature.

—-

I'd love a return to KO football. But until the clubs in group 2 realise they're getting eaten at Christmas whether they're a turkey or a goose, it ain't going to happen.