top class forwards

Started by seafoid, February 08, 2016, 12:13:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cunny Funt

Top class forwards can fall into different categories. Kieran Donaghy can do untold damage at the edge of square but he would never be regarded as big scorer himself. The forward with engine and seen all over the field I would think of Paul Flynn,Kevin Mcloughlin. The skillful forward that leaves his marker for dead Dermot Connolly,Colm Cooper and the finishers Bernard Brogan,Conor McManus,James O Donoghue all three could seem to be marked out of the game yet still pop up with a match winning score.

mayoman dan

From a Mayo point of view Cillian O Connor would be the only forward that might be called Marquee.His critics will say he lacks pace and needs to contribute more from play which maybe he does but he has played the last few years half injured because hes our go to guy in the forwards.IMO Cillian is our best playmaker and if we had better inside men he would ideally be played at 11.Aidan O Se is not a forward.Hes a brilliant player but not a forward.Mc Loughlin likewise.

Fuzzman

Quote from: tyroneman on February 08, 2016, 11:46:30 PM
Tyrone have no one at the level of Canavan or SoN from years gone by. We dont have a marquee forward a la Murphy, mcManus or Connolly but what we do have are some decent workers who play to a system.

I wonder is part of our problem with free takers and lack of top quality players is that Tyrone teams nowadays put more emphasis on systems and working hard as a team rather than allowing players to develop their own creative side. If a forward now tries something spectacular and it doesn't come on then there is a huge sense of disappointment from his team mates, manager and the fans.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Fuzzman on February 10, 2016, 11:55:49 AM
Quote from: tyroneman on February 08, 2016, 11:46:30 PM
Tyrone have no one at the level of Canavan or SoN from years gone by. We dont have a marquee forward a la Murphy, mcManus or Connolly but what we do have are some decent workers who play to a system.

I wonder is part of our problem with free takers and lack of top quality players is that Tyrone teams nowadays put more emphasis on systems and working hard as a team rather than allowing players to develop their own creative side. If a forward now tries something spectacular and it doesn't come on then there is a huge sense of disappointment from his team mates, manager and the fans.

Free taking is not really anything to do with individual skill. It's more of a discipline, hence the recent trend of goalkeepers taking frees. We haven't had a reliable free taker since Canavan. Even the likes of Mulligan and O'Neill struggled with free taking duties for us despite both being exceptional players and very accurate.

The likes of McCurry, McAliskey,  Ronan O'Neill etc are all very skilful and accurate players but there seems to be something lacking in their mental approach to kicks. The best in the business now are Sheehan, Murphy and O'Connor who generally seem to be unflappable on big kicks.

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on February 10, 2016, 12:16:59 PM

The likes of McCurry, McAliskey,  Ronan O'Neill etc are all very skilful and accurate players but there seems to be something lacking in their mental approach to kicks. The best in the business now are Sheehan, Murphy and O'Connor who generally seem to be unflappable on big kicks.

John Heslin has to be right up there.

AZOffaly

If Niall McNamee played for Kerry or Dublin he'd be a superstar.

Syferus

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 10, 2016, 07:42:39 PM
If Niall McNamee played for Kerry or Dublin he'd be a superstar.

Same with young Empyn Mulligan, who was so close to being a Donegal player being born and raised there for his early years. He'd have All-Stars and an AI medal if fate had taken a different turn; he haven't even played once in Croke Park.

Nihilist

Speaking of Donegal....

Murphy and McBrearty are both class forwards.
They also have MacNilis, Mchugh (*2) and maybe McFadden (or has he retired fully).

Lookin good so far this year and if Rory Gallagher is to be believed they are only doing light enough training at the moment.

Syferus

Quote from: Nihilist on February 10, 2016, 10:19:59 PM
Speaking of Donegal....

They also have MacNilis, Mchugh (*2) and maybe McFadden (or has he retired fully).

Lookin good so far this year and if Rory Gallagher is to be believed they are only doing light enough training at the moment.

Light training my arse.

Maroon Manc

Galway don't have any at the moment although come the end of this season they might have two in Comer & Walsh.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Maroon Manc on February 11, 2016, 10:50:09 AM
Galway don't have any at the moment although come the end of this season they might have two in Comer & Walsh.
I think Comer is already, how many goals has he scored this year alone? I don't think Kevin Walsh is all that keen on Shane Walsh as he seems more on the bench than starting games.

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: Cunny Funt on February 11, 2016, 01:22:00 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on February 11, 2016, 10:50:09 AM
I think Comer is already, how many goals has he scored this year alone? I don't think Kevin Walsh is all that keen on Shane Walsh as he seems more on the bench than starting games.
Comer is not there yet - well on his way but needs to improve his decision making on the ball at times - cant rattle the net everytime he gets it!!  Shane on his way back to full fitness and he will be vital to our cause as the year progresses - he has the potential to be an exceptional county footballer and hopefully he gets the platform to deliver.................

Nihilist

Quote from: Syferus on February 10, 2016, 10:33:26 PM
Quote from: Nihilist on February 10, 2016, 10:19:59 PM
Speaking of Donegal....

Light training my arse.

Are they doing any more or less than Ros ?

illdecide

Some of the players you guys are mentioning are good players no doubt but top class...Dunno.

For me top class forwards are players like

C Cooper
Pete the great
S O Neil
O McConville
SMcDonnell
B Brogan (Possibly)
M Murphy
B Coulter (Possibly)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

AZOffaly

Quote from: illdecide on February 11, 2016, 03:08:40 PM
Some of the players you guys are mentioning are good players no doubt but top class...Dunno.

For me top class forwards are players like

C Cooper
Pete the great
S O Neil
O McConville
SMcDonnell
B Brogan (Possibly)
M Murphy
B Coulter (Possibly)

I suppose a lot of it comes down to stuff they've won, or profile. Lads like Niall McNamee wouldn't have a chance of matching some of those lads for medals, but I guarantee you if you put him into th e forward lines they played in, he'd be seen as top class.