St. Molaise Gaels
Ballymote
Calry/St. Joseph's
Tourlestrane
St. Mary's
St. Farnan's
St. John's

magpie seanie

So sadly its back to junior for us after losing 0-10 to 2-10 to St. Pats. We put up a good fight and the difference between the sides was they took their goal chances and we didn't. With 3 going down out of 13 it was always going to be tough for us after coming up from junior but if one or two things had gone for us then we could have achieved it. Have to try and win the junior again next year. By the looks of things our 5 opponents in that comp next year will be Shamrock Gaels, Tubbercurry, St. Molaise Gaels, Tourlestrane and Ballisodare.

Thats it for me for the year. Better find the old astro boots for the soccer now.

Sligoper

Hard luck Seanie.
Quote from: magpie seanie on August 17, 2008, 12:09:05 PM
Thats it for me for the year.

A simple old statement but effective. Would hate to be gone at this stage. I'm Still involved in three teams chasing championship medals.

Still say Harps to lose.
Go on the Bunnies!

magpie seanie

So to this weekend, intermediate quarter finals top the bill I suppose.

Coolaney/Mullinabreena v. Owenmore Gaels - I expect this to be tight. Gaels usually rise to the occasion against their neighbours and on their good days are not a bad outfit at all. Have no idea how things are going for them but the deafening silence from our regular contributers here could possibly be a hint. C-Mull would be a lot of peoples favourites to win the intermediate and have about 4 or 5 really good players. The sensible thing would be to side with them here but if Gaels can give this 100% they can take this.

Molaise Gaels v. Marys - Only one winner here. Mary's have great experience in their ranks but aren't the force at this level that they werew when they had Newton at FF. Molaise Gaels have the potential to go all the way but will need to answer several stiff questions on the way. They won't get too many of them this weekend though and should progress with a bit to spare.

Harps v. Curry - Despite a poor looking result against Ballisodare, Curry have really impressed in the championship thus far. There is a deep pool of talent at that club now and its growing. Harps are more established contenders at this level and that could stand to them. However if Curry have one of their good days an upset could be on the cards. I might go for them to sneak it.

Enniscrone v. Michaels - Very up and down form for both these teams makes this one a lottery to call. Michaels use of their "second team" may be backfiring on them as I hear injuries are mounting and playing so many games can't be good for you either. A very tentative nod to Enniscrone.

Relegation:

Senior - I reckon Mary's v. Bunninadden could be a great game to watch. Mary's would appear to be slightly stronger on paper but Bunninadden have nothing if not great heart and that could be enough. Geevagh should take care of Drumcliffe in the other game. In the IFC relegation Pats and Cloonacool to hold onto their status comfortably.

As for the reverse, or reserve competition - no-one really cares.

SLIGONIAN

Im glad i didnt make any predictions, our lads won today 1-11 to 0-4. It was an absymal performance by our lads. It was 3-2 at ht and only that marys ran out of ideas and steam it opened up for us to pick of scores and got goal last kick of the game. Our juniors beat this marys team earlier with a few of there seniors playing in a league game a while back. They are poor. We made hard work of it. Our management and tactics mainly to blame. We keep persisting playing a extra man in the backs even in games we are totally on top in and even when the oppostion forwards are no threat. Leaving our forwards light on nrs and support. It is clueless and could cost us against more physical sides which we struggle against. Also must be added that a certain player was taken off at HT for 2nd game running too late, after another atrocious performance. I have even said what i say here to there faces and they just being stubborn about it now. If it costs us an intermediate i will be raging.

The reality is i wont blame the players if we dont win the intermediate. I will blame our stupid management. We have by far the best players on paper in intermediate. Tactics and team selections are costing us week in week out. Against better oppostion we will not be so lucky. Another interesting note on politics in my club, darren gilsenan was not allowed play today because the club minor manager said for him not too. This to me is  joke. He is young fit and an asset to our intermediates. Isnt the intermediate the most important level for our club until we get to senior and our underage supposed to feed that team.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

magpie seanie

Was looking out for you there today but couldn't make out who you were in the massive crowd!

Your assessment of the game was spot on though you'd have to give some credit for the bit of urgency at the start of the second half and the surgery carried out to the team. I was astounded by how bad this game was and in particular St Molaise Gaels who were my main reason for going in today. This display would be very worrying for their supporters. The only thing is if they do get their act together tactically they do have enough quality but some of it was so headless you'd have to wonder. Young Gilsenan was virtually redundant as the smallest man on the field was left on his own to win a heap of possession in the first half. Playing with a 2 man FF line in the first half they persisted in hitting the man who would not score. He won a pile of ball alright but nowt came off it. Meanwhile the guy who can score was living off scraps. Several times I saw him free looking for the ball and he didn't get it. Two years ago this team were very unlucky not to beat us in the SFC and we were defending champions. They have added some young talent and have gone back a lot. It makes no sense. Mary's tried hard but are limited enough but tactically way ahead of their opponents. If they could have scrambled a goal at almost and stage it would have been interesting.

Quotedarren gilsenan was not allowed play today because the club minor manager said for him not too. This to me is  joke. He is young fit and an asset to our intermediates. Isnt the intermediate the most important level for our club until we get to senior and our underage supposed to feed that team.

BTW I'd say the right call was made about Darren Gilsenan. For a minor the minor championship has to take precendence. He'd be irreplaceable on that team whereas you could play someone not much worse on the intermediate team.

Mullinabreena eventually put away Owenmore Gaels but again didn't impress me. Very limited apart from O'Brien (who I thought ran the show and was the best player on the field) and Finan to an extent but you'd have to think they'll meet someone who will tame those two. If that happened theywould be in serious trouble. Gaels are short a few backs and a couple of big ball winners around the middle which is a shame as they have some good exciting forwards. At times they tried to play long passes which is not their natural game either and it backfired with them losing hard earned possession too easily.

As always making predictions is a mugs game though I was only way out on one I think.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: magpie seanie on August 24, 2008, 09:14:30 PM
Was looking out for you there today but couldn't make out who you were in the massive crowd!

Your assessment of the game was spot on though you'd have to give some credit for the bit of urgency at the start of the second half and the surgery carried out to the team. I was astounded by how bad this game was and in particular St Molaise Gaels who were my main reason for going in today. This display would be very worrying for their supporters. The only thing is if they do get their act together tactically they do have enough quality but some of it was so headless you'd have to wonder. Young Gilsenan was virtually redundant as the smallest man on the field was left on his own to win a heap of possession in the first half. Playing with a 2 man FF line in the first half they persisted in hitting the man who would not score. He won a pile of ball alright but nowt came off it. Meanwhile the guy who can score was living off scraps. Several times I saw him free looking for the ball and he didn't get it. Two years ago this team were very unlucky not to beat us in the SFC and we were defending champions. They have added some young talent and have gone back a lot. It makes no sense. Mary's tried hard but are limited enough but tactically way ahead of their opponents. If they could have scrambled a goal at almost and stage it would have been interesting.

Quotedarren gilsenan was not allowed play today because the club minor manager said for him not too. This to me is  joke. He is young fit and an asset to our intermediates. Isnt the intermediate the most important level for our club until we get to senior and our underage supposed to feed that team.

BTW I'd say the right call was made about Darren Gilsenan. For a minor the minor championship has to take precendence. He'd be irreplaceable on that team whereas you could play someone not much worse on the intermediate team.

Mullinabreena eventually put away Owenmore Gaels but again didn't impress me. Very limited apart from O'Brien (who I thought ran the show and was the best player on the field) and Finan to an extent but you'd have to think they'll meet someone who will tame those two. If that happened theywould be in serious trouble. Gaels are short a few backs and a couple of big ball winners around the middle which is a shame as they have some good exciting forwards. At times they tried to play long passes which is not their natural game either and it backfired with them losing hard earned possession too easily.

As always making predictions is a mugs game though I was only way out on one I think.

Big crowd alright, and we were rewarded by some entertainment. I take your point on darren but he is irreplaceable for our intermediates aswell, 2-2 against pats, etc... itd make a big difference playing him and dropping the lad at ff yday if ya know what i mean. Both him and j kelly started last championship game and div3 final and excelled. I know johnnys carrying an injury at the min and is a doubt for minors. I hope we pull off the double to round off a great yr. But the management wil get little credit from me even if we do. It was plain to see yday how they are disabling our players and team performance with mistakes on the line.

magpie seanie

Our minors had a 3-6 to 1-5 win away to Tubber to book out spot in the semi finals of the A championship last night. A decent hardworking performance by our young team but big improvement needed if we are to go any further. We play Calry in the semi who had a surprising and comprehensive win over St. Molaise Gaels (Sligonian will not be happy - what happened?). This is the first time this team have played A championship as there are very few full age lads for this age group (only 4 on last nights starting 15).

Interesting to see (according to sligogaa.ie) that Tourlestrane minors got a scoreless draw for not turning up to play Curry (meaning if we had failed to beat Tubber we were out on scoring difference). You wouldn't want to be paranoid would you...

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: magpie seanie on August 26, 2008, 11:33:53 AM
Our minors had a 3-6 to 1-5 win away to Tubber to book out spot in the semi finals of the A championship last night. A decent hardworking performance by our young team but big improvement needed if we are to go any further. We play Calry in the semi who had a surprising and comprehensive win over St. Molaise Gaels (Sligonian will not be happy - what happened?). This is the first time this team have played A championship as there are very few full age lads for this age group (only 4 on last nights starting 15).

Interesting to see (according to sligogaa.ie) that Tourlestrane minors got a scoreless draw for not turning up to play Curry (meaning if we had failed to beat Tubber we were out on scoring difference). You wouldn't want to be paranoid would you...

Strange result for us last night 4-10 to 1-5, after beating johns and harps. We play curry in the other semi who coasted through the group. Johnny kelly not at FB makes that line very weak. With him back it will hopefully improve. Curry are the favourites. We were poor, i wasnt at it as I was away but Dad said we just didnt anything right. Too many high balls into our forwards. To be honest we dont have great forwards so we need to keep games low scoring. Young kennedy was missing aswell. And our best forward at u16 mark ohare doesnt play for our minors. We arent as strong as when we beat curry at u16 2 yrs ago. My club is usually consistently good but a freak result always seems to happen every now and again. I expect our lads to put it up to curry albeit it wont be easy. Looking forward to it all the same.

Owenmoresider

A bad outing for us on Sunday, but really it was probably to be expected, we haven't played well for some time, even last year we were reasonable despite not getting out of the group, this time we couldn't possibly have not got through with Tourlestrane for company. The same problems remain - lack of strength (and some who have it unwilling to utilise it), no cohesion or structure, and a backline that can imitate the parting of the Red Sea at times. If we could have held Finan things might have gone better, but he got plenty of opportunities to do us damage and did so. Mullinabreena are perhaps not as good as they were in 05, but could still win it, but the semi wth Michael's will be hard to call. Michael's won despite a weakened lineup which surprised me. Harps and Curry was a close call and a draw came out of it, either wouldn't mind a crack at SMG judging on Sunday. SMG won at ease, but were poor to say the least. Will need to improve for the semi and get the shooting sorted out otherwise it could be a difficult semi for them.

Mary's and the Bunnies get another chance to escape the trapdoor, with Drumcliffe's luck finally running out. Have a slight fancy for Mary's to get the last chance to stay up against Geevagh, and the 2000 winners to finish the decade in Intermediate. In the QF's. the nonsense of fixing games in West Sligo sees Coolera making a half-hour plus journey to face Castleconnor's five-minute walk, and worse still Ballymote and Tubber are dragged out there as well. And both double-headers are on at the same time. And they'll give out about people not going to the games then. QF predictions - Coolera narrowly, Harps, Curry to emerge, with Ballymote fending off Tubber in the other.

And one last thing from the weekend, we'll have representation in the Connacht Junior Club in 2009 for the first time since our drubbing from Tulsk, now the neighbours and former colleagues have bowed to the inevitable. The heart bleeds for them, it really does. :D

Teeling Gael

Havent posted for awhile for various reasons so want to cover a few different things.

Owenmore Gaels got what they deserved on Sunday and no complaints here. Afraid very worried about next few years with a major attitude change amongst players a prerequisite for any turnaround. Sadly it would appear being the 10th best minor team in Sligo for a couple of years a few years ago is the highlight of the ambition of that generation and with one of the worst underage record of any club in the county this year at boys (but one of best at girls) a major shakeup is required. Coolaney can beat a injury ravaged Michaels and historically have always played well against Mholaises so there must be a pep in the step in Achonry training these nights. Undeniably they are much weaker than 3 years ago but their potential success this year is a byproduct of the lack of relegation from senior in the intervening period.

Watched the 2nd game as well and extremely disappointed by Mholaises also. Tactically they make no sense and to me it looks like paralysis by analysis. Choice of full forward was bizarre particullarily with no one running of him. Carraway and No. 6 impressed me way more than your county guys, Sligonian. Mc Hugh looks like a footballer but he should be trying to dominate these games rather than appearing to saunder about as if he is a proven inter county star. Excellent kicker of ball from hands but technically a horrifically poor free taker from ground. The dominanation of a 40 year old soccer player at midfield against Wilson and his lack of general involvement in this game is at odds with your hope Sligonian that he will be a mainstay of Sligos midfield next year but perhaps its unfair of me to judge him on one game. St Mholaisses have definitely the best players but as Sligonion has been saying all year perhaps its their tactics that may cost them rather than anything else this year.

Very disappointed for Geevagh and their landslide. They had a fantastic clubhouse but to be honest a very diappointing pitch . Surely now they have to think about moving grounds altogether but that writes off the value of their excellent clubhouse. It seems in hindsight a strange decision to put all that money into the sight of a previous landslide particuliarily when the surface is so poor on the actual pitch.

Expect Harps , Curry to win but both in slightly tighter matches than generally expected. Coolera would be raging hot favorites against Castleconnor anywhere but Enniscrone but they should just about come through still. Expect Ballymote to beat Tubber in other match but againwont be much in it. In fairness there is a lack of grounds in the center of the county capable of holding Championship semis but surely the Curry and Coolera matches in Ballymote and the Farnans and Ballymote matches in the park would have been a more reasonable scheduling. As OMS says there isnt much point complaining about attendances with scheduling like it is at moment.

SLIGONIAN

I would agree with the opinions above said by other posters. Peter wilson was disappointing, infact he was outshone by Mark Quinn who I thought did well.  Caraway is having a good year, hes a very agressive attacking wing back but sometimes fouls too easy and is over agressive in the tackle. Eoin was poor the last day, to be honest he was consistently like that for his club until recently which as yee know earlier in the yr i questioned his county creditionals. Now maybe ye can understand me questioning that. I thought he turned a corner recently though with alot of impressive performances for the club, finally i thought hes delivering for the club. Whilst i wont revert back to my negative ways, i still see serious potential in Eoin and he just needs to get more consistent and he'll do fine. On peter he needs to learn to influence games more. Looked rusty on the ball and that should not be the case. Anyway i wouldnt judge any of our players on that game.

There is a big performance in our team and hopefully I'll see a few of them. Last weekends performance was not in line with the last 4 or 5 very good team performances against far better teams so maybe it was just a blip and in fairness it was the right game to have one.

magpie seanie

Agree about Mark Quinn. I always rated him very highly. A couple of years ago he was as good as any midfielder in the county and he looked like he was returning to somethnig approaching that form last weekend.

The Stand Side

Tis though on Geevagh all right.  Hope they can get over this as there club football is on the upward curve.

Will go for a Harps, Curry, Coolera and Ballymote for the semis.  I would have liked to go to all semis but have now to choose one venue.  Think I will get the pony and trap out on Saturday morning and head for Enniscrone.  Poor choice venue for county semi finals and why are they on same times?

SLIGONIAN

Does this piss anyone else off? Look at the venue..shouldnt it be markievicz, glad its a double header on sept 6th.
U18 A semi finals
Calry/St Josephs  - - Coolera-Strandhill  Tubbercurry   
St Molaise Gaels  - - Curry  Tubbercurry   

Senior Championship results
Farnans 0-2 Harps 2-19
Shamrock 0-10 Curry 0-13

No shocks so far. Didnt hear the other 2 results yet. At ht it was tubber 1-5 balymote 0-5.

Owenmoresider

So it's Coolera v Tubber and Harps v Curry in the semis, not all that surprising in the end. Harps destroyed Farnan's, won't do them a lot of good when Curry get stuck into them, Curry have ground out the results (bar Calry, which didn't affect them) and did so again yesterday, whereas Harps have only really got a run from Coolera, who have to improve if they are to win it out, but they have got to the semis without playing that well, and had it tough with Castleconnor, who had many chances which were wasted, and also hit the bar. Ballymote-Tubber was a fairly good game, Tubber got off to a flyer in both halves, Ballymote did come back into it well each time, but they were badly exposed for the Tubber goal, and couldn't handle McGee throughout, who looked more of a county player on yesterday's evidence then Kelly did, though the latter isn't a CHF. A few mistakes made by Ballymote could have changed things, but Tubber deserved the win, their first time in the semis since 1999, when it used to be quite a regular event. And around that time a new challenger was on the verge of great things...

...and today Bunninadden were relegated from senior and deservedly so, they have had it coming for a while the way they have been going, and Mary's won easily. They meet Geevagh now to seek to avert the unthinkable. Harps seconds beat Curry well and will give SMG a tough game in the semis.