Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Truth hurts

Truth hurts

Can Johnnysboys or Smurfy confirm?

Most likely, Kilcoo will also be searching for new managers.

manwithnoplan

Quote from: Truth hurts on December 13, 2022, 12:15:28 PM

Is that speculation or based on fact?

Truth hurts

Quote from: manwithnoplan on December 13, 2022, 03:35:45 PM
Quote from: Truth hurts on December 13, 2022, 12:15:28 PM

Is that speculation or based on fact?

Its well known that Gilligan and Thornton were leaving after the year. There's nothing official yet.

supersub

Quote from: manwithnoplan on December 11, 2022, 07:47:04 PM
Quote from: supersub on December 11, 2022, 07:12:32 PM
Anyone questioning the brilliance of this Kilcoo team is either just bitter or needs their head examined. No one has got near them in Down in a long time. They won the All Ireland last year, they are by far and away the best team in Ulster the last two years. It's easy to cite dirty tactics, cynical stuff etc when a team loses.
It's very easy to cite those things when they are winning too, but they tend to take it up a notch when they are losing. Fantastic team, some fantastic players, but not a team that is easy to get behind for a neutral.

"By far and away the best team in Ulster" for 2 years is a little disingenuous given they beat Glen and Carryduff in extra time last year (and Clonduff on pens, CPN in extra time this year). Hyperbole like that only serves to detract from what they have achieved as it takes away from how they battled through games to win.

I would be a neutral in this instance and can only admire what they have done as a club and a team over the last number of years. Whether you 'get behind them' or not is another thing. For me, their football prowess far outweighs any cynical stuff especially in the last 4-5 seasons. It can't be that easy to cite when they are winning as there hasn't been that much said about them in this regard over the past period mentioned. But all of a sudden when they lose it comes out in bucket loads in comparison.

They've been in the last two AI Finals, and yes have had one really close encounter in the Ulster series in the last two years (v Glen 2021) but really they have put most other opposition to the sword during this period. They always seem to get it tighter within Down, but 11 titles in 13 years speaks for itself really - not sure too many really saw them being beaten in Down the last couple of years.

5times5times

Looks like we're getting off to a 0-2 start... Monaghan & Donegal

redandblackareback

Quote from: 5times5times on December 13, 2022, 08:09:37 PM
What makes you say that? Donegal are in turmoil and Monaghan couldn't get a manager and are well over the hill. We have on the other hand been training since the start of October 5 nights a week, I'll be shocked if we don't hit the ground flying. By the time we play in the McKenna Cup we will have been training for over 3 months. Good win last week against UUJ in a challenge game, ran them off the park late on.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Maurice Moss on December 11, 2022, 04:56:19 PM
Wasn't to be our day today. Great run by our fellas and they'll take a well earned break now. Couldn't be any prouder to be a Magpie. Well done to Glen on their win too.

#UTM

+1

They've taken us on a journey we literally wouldn't have dreamed of back in the day.
i usse an speelchekor

Truth hurts

Poland departure confirmed to me this morning, Point seem to be in a bit of a transition at the minute. It will be hard to find someone .

DuffGael

Quote from: 5times5times on December 13, 2022, 08:09:37 PM
Its the McKenna cup, they will be trying new players and experimenting. I wouldn't worry if we don't win a match in it. Its the league this year we really need to worry about

urbangael

Any word on the Down panel?  If they've been training from Oct (which seems unlikely) they should be getting into good shape.  Who has departed the panel and what new faces are in?

Hard2Listen2

I'd guess it's still a provisional panel at this stage.

There will be some join & some gone by start of the league.

redandblackareback

Quote from: urbangael on December 14, 2022, 10:33:45 AM
Any word on the Down panel?  If they've been training from Oct (which seems unlikely) they should be getting into good shape.  Who has departed the panel and what new faces are in?

That's not unlikely, it's a matter of fact, they were one of the first counties in the country back in collective training, Ballykinlar for the pitch based sessions, Tullymore on a Sunday for a while and Aron Brannigans gym for the S&C. Panel of 47 before Kilcoo players return, a lot of trialists that won't feature even Attical have a representative. UUJ man said to me last week he was so impressed with Downs fitness levels so early in the year. Good signs

ardtole

I heard some of the lads involved with Liatroim hurlers are under consideration too.