GPA Team of the year just announced

Started by orangeman, October 30, 2008, 11:43:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armamike

Quote from: Zapatista on November 01, 2008, 12:05:42 PM
Quote from: Armamike on October 31, 2008, 12:52:58 PM
Sympathy vote for McMenamin and McMahon!

Why would anyone have sympathy for Champions?

Because there has been that much wailing and gnashing of teeth over the past few weeks about their exclusion from the all stars. The Irish news was up in arms - they couldn't comprehend it, particularly in McMahon's case. Reminds me to a lesser degree of the Paddy Bradley saga a couple of years back.  There was that much crying from the Irish news and the boul Paddy himself over the years, they eventually said f**k it, take the bloody thing. 
That's just, like your opinion man.

boojangles

Quote from: AFS on November 01, 2008, 06:50:39 PM
Without getting into the merits of who actually deserved an award, I don't think that too many can argue that the GPA do a lot of point scoring with their awards. They basically ensure that anyone that was controversially left out of the real All Stars gets a GPA one.
Cant agree there.The team is picked by the players so unless they forget about all the votes and just pick there own team,cant see how its a way of making up for players who didnt get All-Stars.I think the GPA team lately has reflected the real Team of the Year.
Joe McMahon was nominated against Alan Brogan and Redmond Barry.

under the bar

QuoteWithout getting into the merits of who actually deserved an award, I don't think that too many can argue that the GPA do a lot of point scoring with their awards. They basically ensure that anyone that was controversially left out of the real All Stars gets a GPA one.

Eh?  The players vote, not the GPA governing body!  Unlike the Allstars which are picked by the Dubs/Kerry-salivating southern media whores, the GPA awards actually have some credibility.

Tyrone Dreamer

Homepage| Counties | Search | Message Board | Results 

O'Connor bemoans Kerry players' non-selection

Kerry manager Jack O'Connor
31 October 2008

Former Kerry team-manager and Chairman of the GPA football team of the year selection committee, Jack O'Connor, has expressed his disappointment that not more Kerry players made the chosen XV.

Copied that from the hoganstand. Does the selection committee just pick the players that are nominated for the team of the year and then the players all get a vote on who is actually selected?

paddypastit

QuoteDoes the selection committee just pick the players that are nominated for the team of the year and then the players all get a vote on who is actually selected?

Precisely
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

rrhf

When does this award ceremony take place?

orangeman

Quote from: rrhf on November 03, 2008, 12:59:11 PM
When does this award ceremony take place?

After Donal get's things sorted in Cork.

ExiledGael

Without getting into the merits of who actually deserved an award, I don't think that too many can argue that the GPA do a lot of point scoring with their awards. They basically ensure that anyone that was controversially left out of the real All Stars gets a GPA one.

100% right. It's a little pathetic, think there a lot more negative than positive reasons for their own scheme.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: ExiledGael on November 03, 2008, 08:39:46 PM

100% right. It's a little pathetic, think there a lot more negative than positive reasons for their own scheme.

Just like Colm Mc Cullagh, eh?
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

ExiledGael

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on November 03, 2008, 08:54:06 PM
Quote from: ExiledGael on November 03, 2008, 08:39:46 PM

Just like Colm Mc Cullagh, eh?

Despite your own views Joe McMahon's absence was the story and lead headline in all the papers on the day after the All-Stars.
Maximum exposure and playing the media.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: ExiledGael on November 03, 2008, 09:00:51 PM
Despite your own views Joe McMahon's absence was the story and lead headline in all the papers on the day after the All-Stars.

One poster says that "...anyone that was controversially left out of the real All Stars gets a GPA one." And you said that that was one hundred percent correct.

There was controversy over Mc Cullagh's omission (whether it was the main controversy or not is totallly irrelevant to the primary allegation). So you're both wrong (despite what you may think yourself).
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Bud Wiser

QuoteBeing a GPA member is not a prerequisite.

T'would be fairly uncomfortable teeing off to the first hole of the K Club for the annual gig if you were not a member and had being voted on the team of the year by your fellow players.  Does anyone know:

Is Shane Ryan a member?
Do players who are not members get to vote?
Is the selection down to the players only? (Or is it a charade and then the real decisions are made ala Cork Hurlers, "this is our decision and if you don't like it we are off")

Can anyone positively state the answers to all of these three questions?
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

The GAA

Surely if non gpa members were voted it'd be called the "non gpa" team of the year?

are there many county players who aren't members?

ExiledGael

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on November 03, 2008, 10:41:35 PM
Quote from: ExiledGael on November 03, 2008, 09:00:51 PM

One poster says that "...anyone that was controversially left out of the real All Stars gets a GPA one." And you said that that was one hundred percent correct.

There was controversy over Mc Cullagh's omission (whether it was the main controversy or not is totallly irrelevant to the primary allegation). So you're both wrong (despite what you may think yourself).

OK the original use of the word 'anyone' was slightly misleading. Personally I don't think McCullagh was 'controversially' left out.

Armamike

I don't recall much of a rumpus about McCullough's omission from the all-stars. Maybe around Dromore.
That's just, like your opinion man.