GPA Team of the year just announced

Started by orangeman, October 30, 2008, 11:43:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

boojangles

Quote from: Malone Aristocrat on October 30, 2008, 12:49:35 PM

Couldn't agree with you on gormley - he had a poor year. gooch got the better of him and he was cleaned out in both games against down. even against dublin, when everyone was flying, he was below par
HA???

orangeman

Quote from: Malone Aristocrat on October 30, 2008, 12:49:35 PM

Couldn't agree with you on gormley - he had a poor year. gooch got the better of him and he was cleaned out in both games against down. even against dublin, when everyone was flying, he was below par

You didn't or wouldn't have voted for him then ?.

I thought he deserved his awards but the Down games are but distant memories now.

I thought he played well against Dublin to be fair.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: orangeman on October 30, 2008, 12:45:35 PM
Quote from: boojangles on October 30, 2008, 12:39:36 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on October 30, 2008, 12:35:16 PM
Quote from: orangeman on October 30, 2008, 12:24:44 PM
Quote from: Denn Forever on October 30, 2008, 12:20:20 PM
Maybe Donaghy or Ryan are not members?

Meehan must have a couple of memberships then.

How is this team arrived at ? All players or all GPA players ?

Meehan was I believe the leading scorer from play in this year's league and gave the individual performance of the championship against Kerry. There's one or two on that team that should probably be questioned before him like Conor Gormley who was well below his usual standard this year.
Ya probably wouldnt begrudge Meehan his place but he was nominated in the same position as Mattie Forde and Tommy Walsh.I chose Tommy Walsh TBH. Conor Gormley was nominated with Anthony Lynch and David Henry.Only going to be one winner there.

Now it's even stranger -

Gormley got rid of a lot of players this year - there was a wanted sign outside Quinns on AI final day - looking for Gormley for the disappaerabce of a lot of top forwards this year.

HiS awards were deserved alright.

Did you actually watch any games?

Gormley is a great player but he was below his best this year and had real difficulty with a few opponents. In fairness to him he's often put on one of the opposition's top forwards but he was blessed to get an All-Star. He's been much better in years when he didn't get an award.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Said this on the All-Star thread too but for me the idea that Gormley had a "poor" year is ridiculous. He was an absolutely crucial part of an All-Ireland winning defence. Ok his performances werent as eye catching as say in 2007 but they didnt need to be, last year he was pretty much the Tyrone defence and was being moved all over the place to sort out problems. This year the defence was far more stable and he didnt need to do that. He still had an excellent year and more than deserves his 2 awards, there werent many better defenders around.
As for the Down matches he struggled in the 2nd but he had a foot injury which badly affected his mobility. Rest of the season he was a key man. Many players would love to have such poor years ;D

Croí na hÉireann

Well done John Keane, excellent year for the man what with two All-Star awards and being selected for the trip down under. Hopefully he follows this up with a provincial medal next year...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

cornafean

A fair enough selection. The welcome inclusion of Joe McMahon just about outweighs the dubious selection of the serial red card man at midfield.
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

his holiness nb

As I said on the All Star thread, fair play to all involved.

No point argueing over who should or shouldnt have got one, its all just opinion.
Ask me holy bollix

Model Hammer

Pleased for Masterson in his debut year. 4 clean sheets out of 6 championship matches is a fair achievement, especially for a debutant. It will be welcomed by all the squad as some acknowledgement of their achivements over the year, but the Full-Back Line can certainly consider that they made a significant contribution to the award, helping to keep 3 clean sheets in the last 3 games - Last 16, QF and SF (OK, Tyrone didn't need any majors, but you've a better chance of staying in the game if you keep them out all the same).

Our defence in general (and Manager) learned a lot this year, including some harsh lessons, but will definitely be a much stronger unit for the experience going into next year.

imtommygunn

While Joe McMahon is a good player I don't think he's team of th year material. Just my opinion mind but I don't think he was the best LHF in the country this year. Who was he nominated against?

Kerry Mike

9 for Tyrone FFS.......jaysus you'd swear they won the f**king All Ireland or something. (Oh shit they did, will this fecking year ever end)

And only 3 for Kerry is a disgrace, no one loves us but I'm fecked if we care about any of them either. At least there are no Langers or Jackeens on the team  ;)

BTW Well done to all the winners......
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Kerry Mike on October 30, 2008, 09:13:22 PM
9 for Tyrone FFS.......jaysus you'd swear they won the f**king All Ireland or something. (Oh shit they did, will this fecking year ever end)

Of course it will KM... in 2012.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Armamike

Sympathy vote for McMenamin and McMahon!
That's just, like your opinion man.

supersarsfields

Maybe for McMahon, Wouldn't agree with Ricey being a Smypathy vote tho. Thought he was great for taking the game to the opposition and linked alot of play up between defence and attack. Fair enough he started the year slowly but was flying in later games.

Zapatista

Quote from: Armamike on October 31, 2008, 12:52:58 PM

Why would anyone have sympathy for Champions?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Zapatista on November 01, 2008, 12:05:42 PM
Quote from: Armamike on October 31, 2008, 12:52:58 PM

Why would anyone have sympathy for Champions?

Don't even attempt to see things through an embittered Armagh man's eyes  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...