GPA Team of the year just announced

Started by orangeman, October 30, 2008, 11:43:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

The official Opel Gaelic Team of the Year for Football for 2008 has been announced today by the Gaelic Players Association.

All-Ireland champions Tyrone have nine representatives on the team - Justin McMahon, Conor Gormley, Davy Harte, Philip Jordan, Ryan McMenamin, Enda McGinley, Brian Dooher, Joe McMahon and Seán Cavanagh and all included.

Losing All-Ireland finalists Kerry have three players included on the team - Darragh Ó Sé, Declan O'Sullivan and Colm Cooper.

The remaining places are filled by Wexford's Anthony Masterson, Westmeath's John Keane and Galway's Michael Meehan.

Dessie Farrell, Chief Executive of the GPA said:'Congratulations to all the winners and in particular to Tyrone who have obviously proven hugely popular champions with the playing body.

'I'd like to also acknowledge the contribution of the nominated players and indeed all the other squad members who didn't make the awards scheme.

'I know there were several tight battles as every player was fighting to win his own position and this is what makes the scheme unique.'

The 2008 Opel Gaelic team of the Year for Football:
Anthony Masterson, John Keane, Justin McMahon, Conor Gormley, Davy Harte, Philip Jordan, Ryan McMenamin, Darragh Ó Sé, Enda McGinley, Brian Dooher, Declan O'Sullivan, Joe McMahon, Colm Cooper, Seán Cavanagh, Michael Meehan

Bogball XV

give her dixie

Good to see Joe Mc Mahon get a very derserving award.
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

orangeman

Quote from: Bogball XV on October 30, 2008, 12:16:00 PM
No Donaghy, yet cooper makes it - mad.

No Shane Ryan either - Darragh in instead.

Michael Meehan is a funny one as well.

But good to see Mc Menamin and Joe Mc Mahon getting recognised.

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

orangeman

Quote from: Denn Forever on October 30, 2008, 12:20:20 PM
Maybe Donaghy or Ryan are not members?

Meehan must have a couple of memberships then.

How is this team arrived at ? All players or all GPA players ?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Being a GPA member is not a prerequisite.

Good to see Ricey and Big Joe in the frame.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

boojangles

Nothing to do with it although Id be fairly sure that they are both members.They were both nominated.
I got a nomination form in the post,filled it out but forgot to send it.Just checked it there. 12 out of 15 right.

Doire abú

This will make up for Joe McMahon not getting an All Star nomination, but I hope he wasn't just chosen to by the GPA to get one over on the GAA PR wise.

Malone Aristocrat

more accurate team than the press one i'd say

boojangles

Quote from: orangeman on October 30, 2008, 12:24:44 PM

All GPA members are sent out a form with 45 nominees.3 players for each position.6 Midfielders.Its sent back and the players with the most votes make the team.So its like the Players Team of the Year.

GalwayBayBoy

Meehan was I believe the leading scorer from play in this year's league and gave the individual performance of the championship against Kerry. There's one or two on that team that should probably be questioned before him like Conor Gormley who was well below his usual standard this year.

boojangles

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on October 30, 2008, 12:35:16 PM

Meehan was I believe the leading scorer from play in this year's league and gave the individual performance of the championship against Kerry. There's one or two on that team that should probably be questioned before him like Conor Gormley who was well below his usual standard this year.
Ya probably wouldnt begrudge Meehan his place but he was nominated in the same position as Mattie Forde and Tommy Walsh.I chose Tommy Walsh TBH. Conor Gormley was nominated with Anthony Lynch and David Henry.Only going to be one winner there.

orangeman

Quote from: boojangles on October 30, 2008, 12:39:36 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on October 30, 2008, 12:35:16 PM

Ya probably wouldnt begrudge Meehan his place but he was nominated in the same position as Mattie Forde and Tommy Walsh.I chose Tommy Walsh TBH. Conor Gormley was nominated with Anthony Lynch and David Henry.Only going to be one winner there.

Now it's even stranger -

Gormley got rid of a lot of players this year - there was a wanted sign outside Quinns on AI final day - looking for Gormley for the disappaerabce of a lot of top forwards this year.

HiS awards were deserved alright.

Malone Aristocrat

Couldn't agree with you on gormley - he had a poor year. gooch got the better of him and he was cleaned out in both games against down. even against dublin, when everyone was flying, he was below par