McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reillers

Quote from: passedit on March 31, 2009, 08:32:20 PM
Never argue with a fool; He'll bring you down to his level and then beat you on experience.

orangeman

You did say you were harsh !!  :D :D

Don't beat yourself up.

orangeman

Tuesday March 31 2009

DENIS WALSH was yesterday handed the keys to a revamped Cork hurling model and told to steer it clear of the pot-holed back roads which came close to wrecking it in recent months and on to a smooth motorway pointing in the direction of Croke Park.

Described variously by the three king-makers who appointed him as "a reliable pair of hands", "a strong character" and "a man with a huge level of expertise," Walsh became Cork's seventh manager this decade, taking over after one of the most divisive episodes in the county's history.

However, things have moved on and Cork are now keen to portray the past as a different world to which there must be no return.

"My wish is that all the stakeholders in Cork GAA will unite for the common good from here on in. That includes management, players, County Board, countless voluntary workers and supporters," said chairman Jerry O'Sullivan.

Walsh will take charge for the first time when the Rebels play Kilkenny at Nowlan Park in the National Hurling League on Sunday -- a challenge he is already relishing.

"Kilkenny are the No 1 team so what do we do? Do we just leave them there? Knowing the Cork players, I know where they want to be. They're all geared to one thing," said Walsh.

Describing being appointed as Cork manager as "a bit overwhelming", he said that having been chosen by such legendary figures as Denis Coughlan, Jimmy Barry-Murphy and John Fenton added to the honour.

"I am probably the first hurling coach/manager to be selected independently and that gives me great confidence that I will be able to do the job with the support of all the stakeholders -- whether on or off the field," he said.

Coughlan, who chaired the appointments committee which was selected by Croke Park, said that Walsh was the unanimous choice to replace Gerald McCarthy.

"We believe that he represents a very reliable pair of hands and that his dual experience has exposed him to different management systems," said Coughlan.

Fenton said that he had no doubts that Cork would rise again under Walsh while Barry-Murphy said that while there was a tough road ahead, the new manager had all the necessary attributes to move the Leesiders onto the next level over the next few years.

Walsh's inter-county management experience is confined to Waterford footballers, but he has no doubts about his ability to be effective in the job.

"I have listened to talks from a lot of team managers over the last few years, the likes of Brian Cody and Mickey Harte. I have a fair idea of how they operate and I have a fair idea of how Cork would like to operate."

He said the squad was in remarkable shape considering that they hadn't played any competitive games up to last Sunday week, so taking over in the last week in March would not present a problem. He will discuss various options with the players over the coming weeks and doesn't foresee any problems in blending the 2008 and '09 squads together.

Overwhelming

His selectors will be former Cork team- mate Pat Buckley (Milford), Gerry Ryan (Ballinascarthy) and Pa Finn (St Finbarr's), while he is also hoping to add a fourth.

"I have made requests for a fourth member, but he is checking out his situation in relation to work and other factors. If he can get that sorted he will come on board, if not it's no problem. I am happy enough with what I have," said Walsh.

He plans to talk to John Gardiner who is to continue in his role of team captain.

Promising to bring total honesty to the job, Walsh said he was happy that he would have no difficulty working with the players as all sides had the common aim of doing their best for Cork hurling.

Meanwhile, it has emerged that Cork may retain the system of appointing managers which was hoisted on them following the controversy which led to McCarthy's resignation.

County Board chairman O'Sullivan said: "This is the first time that this process has been used -- it may be used again and it may not."

However, it's understood that there's widespread support in Cork for its continued use.

- Martin Breheny

INDIANA

Quote from: Reillers on March 31, 2009, 08:54:02 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on March 31, 2009, 08:03:36 PM
Quote from: Reillers on March 31, 2009, 07:24:38 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on March 31, 2009, 07:15:30 PM
Quote from: Reillers on March 31, 2009, 06:07:41 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on March 31, 2009, 06:02:29 PM
Reillers you might find that Dublin are the closest to KK the rate they're going. I'd probably have them as favourites were they to play Wexford.

I'd also say Wexford / Offaly would give games to Limerick and Clare at the very least - probably to more of them. Leinster's not as weak as people think. KK would beat all round them in Leinster too.

Also Cork have won two games in the league by a point, don't get too excited too soon.

Now I've heard it all. Dublin have done well to get to where they are but they are still well behind most Munster counties.
Cork after being and still are weeks behind everyone else, have come back and beat Clare 14 men down and some excellent signs against Limerick. Some excellent players showing real form and real promise.
It's only March, a lot can happen in the next 9 weeks.

I don't agree Reillers. I'd expect Dublin to beat both Limerick and Clare this year if we draw them in the championship. Neither have anything coming through the system. I think we'd rattle waterford as well. Think they are bet. Without Mullane they have little or nothing. They are a mystery though-some fine underage players over the last few years have all disappeared it seems. We wouldn't beat Cork and Tipp but as I said before, you're only margnally ahead of the stronger 2nd tier teams now like Galway/Tipp and miles behind kilkenny.
You just don't have the forwards Reillers. If Ben is marked well the scores will be hard to come by. Its a waste of time playing Naughton at midfield because he's not a scoring threat from there. Pat Horgan has a lot of class but without Corcoran and Deane he'll be pissing into the wind up there against the Cats on his own. The rest of your forwards are just too inconsistent to trouble kilkenny.
So you think Dublin are the only ones who can beat KK.  :-\ :-\ Genuinely??
Limerick were good on the weekend and they were good against KK as well. A point in each game.
Clare are a disastor but have always been the weakest of the Munster teams.
If Galway can play like Portumna then they'll sail to the final, but they can't. They can't click, but any team on any day can do anything and beat anyone once they have Canning.
We've forwards, the problem is there's a bit scrawny, we've got the likes of Ben, Hero, Fraggy, Jerry if we need to, Sully if we need to, Naughton (depending on where Jerry plays) then we've got the likes of Ronan and then there's Pa Horgan, Sully Og, Cronin and then there's the likes of Fintan O Leary. All have a lot of promise.
The only thing we need is a bit of time to figure out who's best where. Corcoran was gone a long time before Horgan, and Deane, he might play, we still don't know.
We need time to figure out who plays where best and hell if we need to we'll throw Sully up full forward. There's the problem though, KK haven't been really trouble with the team McCarthy put out in front of them last season, till 06 we were the team to beat, we were the ones who set the bar, (and no this is not be blaming McCarthy for anything it's just what happened OM) this team has better players in it now then it did then, KK like we did, have a timer and no one can stop that going off, not even Cody, and when it happens, Cork will be there, and I genuinely would like to think we'll be the ones to take them.

Obviously not next week, maybe not even this season, but Cork are building a good flow of players and it's only a matter of time before it clicks.

Reillers kindly point out in any of the 400 pages that I suggested Dublin would beat kilkenny. The pick of leinster wouldn't beat kilkenny. We aren't all delusional here.
Also no-one is afraid of Fraggy/Hero/Suly Og or Cronin. And kilkenny certainly aren't. Being brutally honest Reillers they are no better than David O Callaghan or David Treacy- dublin's corner forwards. Thats why you can't beat kilkenny these days. Bar Pat Horgan there isn't a joe deane or seanie mc grath in sight.
When you said I don't agree I presumed you meant with the Dublin being the only ones to beat KK.
And you think Cork are afraid of Kilkenny. It's not a matter of who's afraid of who.
And you are very much underestimating Hero and Fraggy, and Sully Og has potential to be one of the best, from your comment above it's clear you haven't seen much of any at IC and club level. Maybe agree with the Pa Cronin one, he hasn't been on form for a while, but to be brutally honest, you are really overestimating yereselves.

We'll see come championship time Reillers. The reality is you look through the Cork squad and tell me the new players because I can't see any. Still rehashing the same players. That was fine a few years back- but not with the current kilkenny outfit. TJ Reid can't make the team at the minute. He'd be a superstar in Cork and anywhere else.

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on March 31, 2009, 09:43:31 PM
You did say you were harsh !!  :D :D

Don't beat yourself up.

Never argue with a fool; He'll bring you down to his level and then beat you on experience.

I'm going to keep on posting this after your posts OM because you are a true fool I'm done arguing with someone who is as truely clueless as you are, someone who comes on here just to stirr shit, purely for attention.

orangeman

Quote from: INDIANA on March 31, 2009, 10:27:31 PM
Reillers you might find that Dublin are the closest to KK the rate they're going. I'd probably have them as favourites were they to play Wexford.

I'd also say Wexford / Offaly would give games to Limerick and Clare at the very least - probably to more of them. Leinster's not as weak as people think. KK would beat all round them in Leinster too.

Also Cork have won two games in the league by a point, don't get too excited too soon.

Now I've heard it all. Dublin have done well to get to where they are but they are still well behind most Munster counties.
Cork after being and still are weeks behind everyone else, have come back and beat Clare 14 men down and some excellent signs against Limerick. Some excellent players showing real form and real promise.

I don't agree Reillers. I'd expect Dublin to beat both Limerick and Clare this year if we draw them in the championship. Neither have anything coming through the system. I think we'd rattle waterford as well. Think they are bet. Without Mullane they have little or nothing. They are a mystery though-some fine underage players over the last few years have all disappeared it seems. We wouldn't beat Cork and Tipp but as I said before, you're only margnally ahead of the stronger 2nd tier teams now like Galway/Tipp and miles behind kilkenny.
You just don't have the forwards Reillers. If Ben is marked well the scores will be hard to come by. Its a waste of time playing Naughton at midfield because he's not a scoring threat from there. Pat Horgan has a lot of class but without Corcoran and Deane he'll be pissing into the wind up there against the Cats on his own. The rest of your forwards are just too inconsistent to trouble kilkenny.
Limerick were good on the weekend and they were good against KK as well. A point in each game.
If Galway can play like Portumna then they'll sail to the final, but they can't. They can't click, but any team on any day can do anything and beat anyone once they have Canning.
We've forwards, the problem is there's a bit scrawny, we've got the likes of Ben, Hero, Fraggy, Jerry if we need to, Sully if we need to, Naughton (depending on where Jerry plays) then we've got the likes of Ronan and then there's Pa Horgan, Sully Og, Cronin and then there's the likes of Fintan O Leary. All have a lot of promise.
The only thing we need is a bit of time to figure out who's best where. Corcoran was gone a long time before Horgan, and Deane, he might play, we still don't know.
We need time to figure out who plays where best and hell if we need to we'll throw Sully up full forward. There's the problem though, KK haven't been really trouble with the team McCarthy put out in front of them last season, till 06 we were the team to beat, we were the ones who set the bar, (and no this is not be blaming McCarthy for anything it's just what happened OM) this team has better players in it now then it did then, KK like we did, have a timer and no one can stop that going off, not even Cody, and when it happens, Cork will be there, and I genuinely would like to think we'll be the ones to take them.

Obviously not next week, maybe not even this season, but Cork are building a good flow of players and it's only a matter of time before it clicks.

Reillers kindly point out in any of the 400 pages that I suggested Dublin would beat kilkenny. The pick of leinster wouldn't beat kilkenny. We aren't all delusional here.
Also no-one is afraid of Fraggy/Hero/Suly Og or Cronin. And kilkenny certainly aren't. Being brutally honest Reillers they are no better than David O Callaghan or David Treacy- dublin's corner forwards. Thats why you can't beat kilkenny these days. Bar Pat Horgan there isn't a joe deane or seanie mc grath in sight.
When you said I don't agree I presumed you meant with the Dublin being the only ones to beat KK.
And you think Cork are afraid of Kilkenny. It's not a matter of who's afraid of who.
And you are very much underestimating Hero and Fraggy, and Sully Og has potential to be one of the best, from your comment above it's clear you haven't seen much of any at IC and club level. Maybe agree with the Pa Cronin one, he hasn't been on form for a while, but to be brutally honest, you are really overestimating yereselves.

We'll see come championship time Reillers. The reality is you look through the Cork squad and tell me the new players because I can't see any. Still rehashing the same players. That was fine a few years back- but not with the current kilkenny outfit. TJ Reid can't make the team at the minute. He'd be a superstar in Cork and anywhere else.

Reillers is banking on history repeating itself and the heroes leading Cork to another AI win after another strike. The strikes really galvanise the strikers and the unity they've shown brings unnatural powers.

Supporters turn out in huge numbers for their team and all is well in Reillersland again.

orangeman

Reillers - for a change could we have a little bit of originality ? Your posts show a degree of childishness that can only come from someone who lives in their own wee, naive and supernatural world.

Thanks.

imtommygunn

Will you give it a rest you clown. Even for you you've reached new lows.

Reillers

Tell me the ones you think are past sell by date? Because if anything they've improved.

Shane O Neill is on fire at the minute and he's really growing into the role, his 2nd season. If he keeps playing the way he's playing, the way he's playing with his college, club, Cork, he's unstopable.
Pa Horgan improves by each game. His 2nd season.
Cathal Naughton, someone again who improves by season, his 3rd..I think, the way he plays the game, the way he cut threw the Tipp defence and mid like they were butter wasn't a one off, he is a complete athlete and a bit of a floater. Can play mid and wing and is incredibly dangerous there.
Pa Cronin, has potential, but isn't consistant, his form wavers but he has potential all right.

Sully Og, had a poor game against Limerick but he is leathal when he's playing on form, didn't get a chance to show that last season, give him a few weeks and if he gets into gear he is some sight.

And then you've got..
Fintan O Leary, Some seriously talented player. A player we are in desperate need of.
Connor O Sullivan, is doing very well.
McGann, delighted what we saw from him when Sean Og came off.
Cadogen, showing the potential we all know he has.
Tadhg Og, one of the reasons Sars did so well and one of the reasons why he's still here, a very good promising player.
Callinan, needs to be given a chance at senior IC level, a lot of potential.
Johnson, a hell of a point scorer, deadly accurate, he'll get you the scores, was one of the only stand outs in the McCarthy panel
Corry, needs to be given a chance at senior level, has done very well at underage.
Hartnett, potential, a hell of a work horse..not sure if he's more then that but needs to be given a go to see what he's really made of.

And then you've got the maybe footballers/hurlers..

Ciaran Sheehan..at some point he'll have a choice to make. I hope it's hurling because he's a hell of a hurler. But I don't know if footballs where he'll go, I think it might be, an AFL club was looking at him one stage but thankfully he decided to stay, I really hope he picks hurling. Whatever happens, he's a serious talent for both codes, but he does have a choice to make.

Then there's Aisake..once upon a time in the far of future..

..I could keep going but I'd be here for an age.

And I never said anything about this team being on the same level as KK, I never said we'd better players then they do, I just said that I think they'd be the ones to challenge them.

Galwaybhoy

Quote from: Reillers on March 31, 2009, 05:53:30 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on March 31, 2009, 04:39:33 PM
Quote from: Galwaybhoy on March 30, 2009, 10:01:40 PM
Quote from: EddieMerx on March 30, 2009, 03:43:09 PM
Quote from: Reillers on March 29, 2009, 11:26:54 PM
call it blowing my own trumpet if you like but I still think that Cork will get ignored by the media when it comes to being their favourite to beat KK for a while, but at the end of the day Cork always seem to be the team around at the final whistle and always seem to be the only ones who are capable of beating KK. 

Yes you are blowing your own trumpet, it is the same Cork team as last year (which had quiet a few aging player then) and they were simply humiliated by the Cats (and Cork even palyed well) Can't see Cork coming within 10 points of Kilkenny in Championship hurling. Tipperary are the only ones capable of causing a shock (Kilkenny need to play 40%-50% below par at that)

The way Tipp are going unless they improve drastically they have no hope of beating Kilkeeny, I'd agree with the 40%-50% bit!  A few pages back I said Tipp would be my favourites for Munster, but Cork are hurling well at the moment, and I'm not so sure now.  Its been a very interesting and at times surprising league so far, and at this moment I'd say the Munster Championship will be wide open.

Hard to say the munster championship is now a better standard that leinster anymore. I think Waterford have shot their bolt and Fitz knows it. Tipp aren't as good as I thought they might be. Limerick are good but no world beaters and Clare are in disarray. Cork probably will win the Munster championship this year based on the action I've seen. I'll get a look at Clare on Sunday.
Unfortunately Cork are a couple of years beyond their prime. Just not enough new players pushing the older ones. As I've said in previous threads their underage teams just aren't good enough of late. As a result kilkenny can take off martin comerford at ht (despite scoring 3-2 the previous week) and win in a canter last week. If cork took off ben o connor they'd lose. thats the difference for the rest of the country. Cork could be the 2nd best team out there again but its means nothing versus the Cats machine. Foregone conclusion again.

I know I've been biased, but come on. There's KK, then there's about a mile and a half, then there's Dublin and then there's another mile. That's putting it mildly.
Waterford are past their best but can still have brilliant games, they just wont last the entire season. Tipp will be there or there abouts come Munster, it's 9 weeks before their first game. Cork's old players have gotten better, not worse, and we've unearthed some excellent players and then there are a lot of players pushing the 15 on the field. I'd agree with that statement last season, but ironically I think the Cork team has improved a lot since. Who do you think are past it?
Because going on what we've seen so far this season they've only gotten better and sharper. The twins, Sean Og is injured but McGann had a blinder of a game when he came on, Connor O Sullivan was again excellent, as was Cadogan. Trying to think really who's past it and I honestly can't think of one. Who are you thinking of?
The underage teams aren't good enough, they've improved, a lot, and the U21s are one of the favs to win it out right this season. The minors won Munster last season and should have went on to win the entire thing.
And what you've said there, how did you suddenly get that Leinster is more competitive then Munster.

I don't think theres a mile between Dublin and and everyone else in Leinster including Galway.  Infact if they meet in championship I'd be very disappointed with anything other than a Galway win.  Dublin have improved but to say they are the closest to Kilkenny is ridiculous.  Its great to see Dublin play so well in the league, but while they have gotten some big wins in the league over the last three years they still have to pull off even one big scalp in The Championship.  For that reason I'd rank my favourites for Leinster in the following order

1. Kilkenny
2. Galway
3. Offaly
4. Dublin
5. Wexford
6. Antrim

Reillers

Completely forgot about Galway. Obviously them after kk.

INDIANA

Quote from: Reillers on March 31, 2009, 11:14:28 PM

Tell me the ones you think are past sell by date? Because if anything they've improved.

Shane O Neill is on fire at the minute and he's really growing into the role, his 2nd season. If he keeps playing the way he's playing, the way he's playing with his college, club, Cork, he's unstopable.
Cathal Naughton, someone again who improves by season, his 3rd..I think, the way he plays the game, the way he cut threw the Tipp defence and mid like they were butter wasn't a one off, he is a complete athlete and a bit of a floater. Can play mid and wing and is incredibly dangerous there.
Pa Cronin, has potential, but isn't consistant, his form wavers but he has potential all right.

Sully Og, had a poor game against Limerick but he is leathal when he's playing on form, didn't get a chance to show that last season, give him a few weeks and if he gets into gear he is some sight.

And then you've got..
Fintan O Leary, Some seriously talented player. A player we are in desperate need of.
Tadhg Og, one of the reasons Sars did so well and one of the reasons why he's still here, a very good promising player.
Johnson, a hell of a point scorer, deadly accurate, he'll get you the scores, was one of the only stand outs in the McCarthy panel
Corry, needs to be given a chance at senior level, has done very well at underage.
Hartnett, potential, a hell of a work horse..not sure if he's more then that but needs to be given a go to see what he's really made of.

Ciaran Sheehan..at some point he'll have a choice to make. I hope it's hurling because he's a hell of a hurler. But I don't know if footballs where he'll go, I think it might be, an AFL club was looking at him one stage but thankfully he decided to stay, I really hope he picks hurling. Whatever happens, he's a serious talent for both codes, but he does have a choice to make.

And I never said anything about this team being on the same level as KK, I never said we'd better players then they do, I just said that I think they'd be the ones to challenge them.

Admire your optimism as regards those players. I don't share it and I've seen most of them. Bar Fintan O Leary and Callinan- all of them. They are all good players but most of them wouldn't get a sniff in kilkenny and thats the problem for Cork. They'll be waiting quite some time to fill the boots of some of the current stars. Unless hurling is banned in kilkenny-long term only tipperary can stop them. Thats on the proviso that the tipp young stars dont hit the pubs. The rest of the counties are pissing in the wind I'm afraid.

Reillers

Quote from: INDIANA on April 01, 2009, 05:35:22 PM
Quote from: Reillers on March 31, 2009, 11:14:28 PM

And then you've got..

Admire your optimism as regards those players. I don't share it and I've seen most of them. Bar Fintan O Leary and Callinan- all of them. They are all good players but most of them wouldn't get a sniff in kilkenny and thats the problem for Cork. They'll be waiting quite some time to fill the boots of some of the current stars. Unless hurling is banned in kilkenny-long term only tipperary can stop them. Thats on the proviso that the tipp young stars dont hit the pubs. The rest of the counties are pissing in the wind I'm afraid.

You've seen half of them Indy? When? With who? I fail to believe that you've come down to watch club hurling in Cork recently.
And I never once said any of them were would make the KK team.
And you never answered me, which ones of the current team do you think are past their sell by date. Tipp wouldn't get in a sniff of KK, either would 99% of their players.

bingobus

Quote from: Reillers on April 01, 2009, 05:53:20 PM

You've seen half of them Indy? When? With who? I fail to believe that you've come down to watch club hurling in Cork recently.
And you never answered me, which ones of the current team do you think are past their sell by date. Tipp wouldn't get in a sniff of KK, either would 99% of their players.

Come on Indy produce the video evidence of you at Cork matches in the past.

Names, places, dates, scores, etc, we need hard evidence, certified by a Solicitor as been a true copy.

Reillers is the only one who is allowed to have an opinion on Cork hurlers, you should know that by now.  ::)

Reillers

Quote from: bingobus on April 01, 2009, 06:04:52 PM
Quote from: Reillers on April 01, 2009, 05:53:20 PM

Come on Indy produce the video evidence of you at Cork matches in the past.

Names, places, dates, scores, etc, we need hard evidence, certified by a Solicitor as been a true copy.

Reillers is the only one who is allowed to have an opinion on Cork hurlers, you should know that by now.  ::)

You and OM are so alike, would ye ever feck off and grow up.