McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Reillers you might find that Dublin are the closest to KK the rate they're going. I'd probably have them as favourites were they to play Wexford.

I'd also say Wexford / Offaly would give games to Limerick and Clare at the very least - probably to more of them. Leinster's not as weak as people think. KK would beat all round them in Leinster too.

Also Cork have won two games in the league by a point, don't get too excited too soon.

Reillers

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 31, 2009, 06:02:29 PM
Reillers you might find that Dublin are the closest to KK the rate they're going. I'd probably have them as favourites were they to play Wexford.

I'd also say Wexford / Offaly would give games to Limerick and Clare at the very least - probably to more of them. Leinster's not as weak as people think. KK would beat all round them in Leinster too.

Also Cork have won two games in the league by a point, don't get too excited too soon.

Now I've heard it all. Dublin have done well to get to where they are but they are still well behind most Munster counties.
Cork after being and still are weeks behind everyone else, have come back and beat Clare 14 men down and some excellent signs against Limerick. Some excellent players showing real form and real promise.
It's only March, a lot can happen in the next 9 weeks.

imtommygunn

Sorry I should clarify I meant in Leinster. You are slightly disparaging of them though.

However you're definitely getting very carried away with Cork here. You'll be lucky to get within 10 of Kilkenny. Maybe you'll win Munster but that's no cert either. I think you will though.

Reillers

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 31, 2009, 06:40:27 PM
Sorry I should clarify I meant in Leinster. You are slightly disparaging of them though.

However you're definitely getting very carried away with Cork here. You'll be lucky to get within 10 of Kilkenny. Maybe you'll win Munster but that's no cert either. I think you will though.

Oh Lord no I think we'll get slaughtered against KK, we will be lucky to get within 10 points. I don't know if we'll win Munster either, to avoid relegation is what I was looking for. A good run and blooding youth is what I'm looking for this season.
I'm not getting carried away, I'm just delighted to see something positive come out of Cork it's been a while since we could say that because for months it's been just constant fighting.
To see the twins at full tilt again, to see the young lads coming in, to see the likes of Shane O Neill who is a machine, he's a beast, it's a breath of fresh air.

INDIANA

Quote from: Reillers on March 31, 2009, 06:07:41 PM

Now I've heard it all. Dublin have done well to get to where they are but they are still well behind most Munster counties.
Cork after being and still are weeks behind everyone else, have come back and beat Clare 14 men down and some excellent signs against Limerick. Some excellent players showing real form and real promise.

I don't agree Reillers. I'd expect Dublin to beat both Limerick and Clare this year if we draw them in the championship. Neither have anything coming through the system. I think we'd rattle waterford as well. Think they are bet. Without Mullane they have little or nothing. They are a mystery though-some fine underage players over the last few years have all disappeared it seems. We wouldn't beat Cork and Tipp but as I said before, you're only margnally ahead of the stronger 2nd tier teams now like Galway/Tipp and miles behind kilkenny.
You just don't have the forwards Reillers. If Ben is marked well the scores will be hard to come by. Its a waste of time playing Naughton at midfield because he's not a scoring threat from there. Pat Horgan has a lot of class but without Corcoran and Deane he'll be pissing into the wind up there against the Cats on his own. The rest of your forwards are just too inconsistent to trouble kilkenny.

Reillers

Quote from: INDIANA on March 31, 2009, 07:15:30 PM

I don't agree Reillers. I'd expect Dublin to beat both Limerick and Clare this year if we draw them in the championship. Neither have anything coming through the system. I think we'd rattle waterford as well. Think they are bet. Without Mullane they have little or nothing. They are a mystery though-some fine underage players over the last few years have all disappeared it seems. We wouldn't beat Cork and Tipp but as I said before, you're only margnally ahead of the stronger 2nd tier teams now like Galway/Tipp and miles behind kilkenny.
You just don't have the forwards Reillers. If Ben is marked well the scores will be hard to come by. Its a waste of time playing Naughton at midfield because he's not a scoring threat from there. Pat Horgan has a lot of class but without Corcoran and Deane he'll be pissing into the wind up there against the Cats on his own. The rest of your forwards are just too inconsistent to trouble kilkenny.
So you think Dublin are the only ones who can beat KK.  :-\ :-\ Genuinely??
Limerick were good on the weekend and they were good against KK as well. A point in each game.
Clare are a disastor but have always been the weakest of the Munster teams.
If Galway can play like Portumna then they'll sail to the final, but they can't. They can't click, but any team on any day can do anything and beat anyone once they have Canning.
We've forwards, the problem is there's a bit scrawny, we've got the likes of Ben, Hero, Fraggy, Jerry if we need to, Sully if we need to, Naughton (depending on where Jerry plays) then we've got the likes of Ronan and then there's Pa Horgan, Sully Og, Cronin and then there's the likes of Fintan O Leary. All have a lot of promise.
The only thing we need is a bit of time to figure out who's best where. Corcoran was gone a long time before Horgan, and Deane, he might play, we still don't know.
We need time to figure out who plays where best and hell if we need to we'll throw Sully up full forward. There's the problem though, KK haven't been really trouble with the team McCarthy put out in front of them last season, till 06 we were the team to beat, we were the ones who set the bar, (and no this is not be blaming McCarthy for anything it's just what happened OM) this team has better players in it now then it did then, KK like we did, have a timer and no one can stop that going off, not even Cody, and when it happens, Cork will be there, and I genuinely would like to think we'll be the ones to take them.

Obviously not next week, maybe not even this season, but Cork are building a good flow of players and it's only a matter of time before it clicks.

imtommygunn

QuoteWe wouldn't beat Cork and Tipp but as I said before, you're only margnally ahead of the stronger 2nd tier teams now like Galway/Tipp

INDIANA

Quote from: Reillers on March 31, 2009, 07:24:38 PM

Limerick were good on the weekend and they were good against KK as well. A point in each game.
If Galway can play like Portumna then they'll sail to the final, but they can't. They can't click, but any team on any day can do anything and beat anyone once they have Canning.
We've forwards, the problem is there's a bit scrawny, we've got the likes of Ben, Hero, Fraggy, Jerry if we need to, Sully if we need to, Naughton (depending on where Jerry plays) then we've got the likes of Ronan and then there's Pa Horgan, Sully Og, Cronin and then there's the likes of Fintan O Leary. All have a lot of promise.
The only thing we need is a bit of time to figure out who's best where. Corcoran was gone a long time before Horgan, and Deane, he might play, we still don't know.
We need time to figure out who plays where best and hell if we need to we'll throw Sully up full forward. There's the problem though, KK haven't been really trouble with the team McCarthy put out in front of them last season, till 06 we were the team to beat, we were the ones who set the bar, (and no this is not be blaming McCarthy for anything it's just what happened OM) this team has better players in it now then it did then, KK like we did, have a timer and no one can stop that going off, not even Cody, and when it happens, Cork will be there, and I genuinely would like to think we'll be the ones to take them.

Obviously not next week, maybe not even this season, but Cork are building a good flow of players and it's only a matter of time before it clicks.

Reillers kindly point out in any of the 400 pages that I suggested Dublin would beat kilkenny. The pick of leinster wouldn't beat kilkenny. We aren't all delusional here.
Also no-one is afraid of Fraggy/Hero/Suly Og or Cronin. And kilkenny certainly aren't. Being brutally honest Reillers they are no better than David O Callaghan or David Treacy- dublin's corner forwards. Thats why you can't beat kilkenny these days. Bar Pat Horgan there isn't a joe deane or seanie mc grath in sight.

orangeman

Denis Walsh was introduced to the media for the first-time today following his appointment as Cork hurling manager last week.

At the grand unveiling at Cork's Rochestown Park Hotel, Walsh confirmed his selectors as Pat Buckley, Gerry Ryan and Pa Finn.

He will take charge of team affairs for the clash against Kilkenny on Sunday.

He said: 'If I don't click with them I will be in trouble but I would be confident. A lot of the guys know me and where I come from and I think that they will be very happy to work with me.'

That's some introduction to the job !! Talk about stating the obvious !

passedit

Never argue with a fool; He'll bring you down to his level and then beat you on experience.
Don't Panic

theskull1

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Reillers

Quote from: INDIANA on March 31, 2009, 08:03:36 PM
Quote from: Reillers on March 31, 2009, 07:24:38 PM

Reillers kindly point out in any of the 400 pages that I suggested Dublin would beat kilkenny. The pick of leinster wouldn't beat kilkenny. We aren't all delusional here.
Also no-one is afraid of Fraggy/Hero/Suly Og or Cronin. And kilkenny certainly aren't. Being brutally honest Reillers they are no better than David O Callaghan or David Treacy- dublin's corner forwards. Thats why you can't beat kilkenny these days. Bar Pat Horgan there isn't a joe deane or seanie mc grath in sight.
When you said I don't agree I presumed you meant with the Dublin being the only ones to beat KK.
And you think Cork are afraid of Kilkenny. It's not a matter of who's afraid of who.
And you are very much underestimating Hero and Fraggy, and Sully Og has potential to be one of the best, from your comment above it's clear you haven't seen much of any at IC and club level. Maybe agree with the Pa Cronin one, he hasn't been on form for a while, but to be brutally honest, you are really overestimating yereselves.

anglocelt39

From reading your post it looks like you're pretty close to climax at the old order being restored Reillers, win/win/win eh, Gerald hounded out, the 08 boys back and their best friend "Frank" available to deal with any messy suspension issues over the summer. From what I know of Cody and the Kilkenny lads I have this feeling they'll be up for it Sunday, hopefully your heroes get seven shades of shite knocked out of them. possibly the first great day of summer. Enjoy.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

passedit

Don't Panic

orangeman

Quote from: Reillers on March 29, 2009, 09:54:27 PM
Quote from: Galwaybhoy on March 29, 2009, 09:39:56 PM
Saw highlights on the news, looked like a great game alright.  Thats Cork clear of relegation.

Ya and there was an unreal atmosphere as well.
Some very promising displays, things still to work on as expected.
A draw would probably have been fair.

Great to see the warm down, a massive crowd circled around them, kinda like the celebrations at a Munster match. Great day, Dennis Walsh came in the middle of the circle. Great stuff.

Reillers close to climax ? Seems Walsh went over the top in the middle of the circle !!!  ;)