McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on March 29, 2009, 09:11:36 PM
To be honest I thought your heroes would have beat them out the gates !!! Great comeback against Limerick ?? Who do you think you're kidding ? But as usual a very positive spin ! Congratulations - no surprise there !

What?!? Spin? What spin?
Boy you are a joke. A complete and utter joke.

It was an excellent, thrilling, tit for tat, high scoring game. Yet you, who didn't even see it, is putting it down.
I mean, the word clueless doesn't do it anymore for you OM.

Surely there's some sport you like and know something about, you could go and bitch about that somewhere else, far, far, far away from here.

Galwaybhoy

Saw highlights on the news, looked like a great game alright.  Thats Cork clear of relegation.

imtommygunn

To avoid relegation would be quite a turnaround though it might be a bit annoying for anyone who does get relegated and was beat by Cork.

It has to be remembered,irrespective of politics, these boys weren't playing earlier league games and so wouldn't be as sharp as some other teams. In hurling especially this is a massive advantage so they've done well.

Should be an interesting munster championship this year - Tipp maybe aren't looking as promising as expected and Waterford should still have enough to challenge anyway.

Reillers

Quote from: Galwaybhoy on March 29, 2009, 09:39:56 PM
Saw highlights on the news, looked like a great game alright.  Thats Cork clear of relegation.

Ya and there was an unreal atmosphere as well.
Some very promising displays, things still to work on as expected.
A draw would probably have been fair.

Great to see the warm down, a massive crowd circled around them, kinda like the celebrations at a Munster match. Great day, Dennis Walsh came in the middle of the circle. Great stuff.

Reillers

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 29, 2009, 09:50:10 PM
To avoid relegation would be quite a turnaround though it might be a bit annoying for anyone who does get relegated and was beat by Cork.

It has to be remembered,irrespective of politics, these boys weren't playing earlier league games and so wouldn't be as sharp as some other teams. In hurling especially this is a massive advantage so they've done well.

Should be an interesting munster championship this year - Tipp maybe aren't looking as promising as expected and Waterford should still have enough to challenge anyway.

Ah now are you sure it's not just all spin that you say? ;) It has to be, sure all the journos have no integrity or respect for their jobs because all the want to do is write the players bios.  ;)

No seriously though, Tipp have struggled, but they could still storm in the championship. The League doesn't tend to tell us that much.
Tipp are favourites in the media to be the ones to challenge KK, in the past the favs have fallen short..ie Waterford. Ironically they get into the final the year they fall out of the spotlight.
We'll have to wait and see what happens.
But hopefully it'll be a good competitive championship. There's still a lot of time for Tipp and Cork to get back on track, 9 weeks till we meet each other, and I can't wait.

imtommygunn

I think you should be a wee bit better than tipp - more experience in the team. I felt watching it a few subs and tactical changes(from you) lost it  last year against them. Waterford on their day could maybe take you though but hard to say if they're past their peak. Didn't look too hot against Galway and I think they need McGrath back in that CHB position - a goal like Donnelan scored shouldn't be happening against the better teams.

I still would be peeved if I were supporting a team relegated from division one and other teams had beaten the weakened cork side though...

Reillers

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 29, 2009, 10:23:29 PM
I think you should be a wee bit better than tipp - more experience in the team. I felt watching it a few subs and tactical changes(from you) lost it  last year against them. Waterford on their day could maybe take you though but hard to say if they're past their peak. Didn't look too hot against Galway and I think they need McGrath back in that CHB position - a goal like Donnelan scored shouldn't be happening against the better teams.

I still would be peeved if I were supporting a team relegated from division one and other teams had beaten the weakened cork side though...

If they're ready for the Tipp game, hopefully we'll beat them.
We should have beaten them last year, we were half way out the gate at half time, we conceded a late goal at the half time, and if I remember right It was Eoin Kelly, taking too many steps and throwing the ball into the back of the net,  ;) robbed I tell ya, lol,  but still we should have won, the tactics and subs were changed and we lost it because of that. Some decisions, like taking JOC off, a match winning player, were very costly. But that's all water under the bridge now.

I think a Waterford game, cause we've played eachother so much over the last few years, it's honestly a toss of the coin on each day. Waterford suffer when their big lads are out, they didn't have their De La Salle lads there today and they'll make a difference at the final whistle come championship day.

Ya, but I'd say something if it was close down the bottom but Clare are on 0 points and at the end of the day, Clare threw it away for themselves, they've no one to blame but themselves for that loss. But I probably would be annoyed, not as annoyed as I would have been the season before because this could be like just playing a weak team for a few games.

But I can see where they'd be coming from all right though.

orangeman

Quote from: Reillers on March 29, 2009, 09:54:27 PM
Quote from: Galwaybhoy on March 29, 2009, 09:39:56 PM

Ya and there was an unreal atmosphere as well.
Some very promising displays, things still to work on as expected.
A draw would probably have been fair.

Great to see the warm down, a massive crowd circled around them, kinda like the celebrations at a Munster match. Great day, Dennis Walsh came in the middle of the circle. Great stuff.
[/b]

Must have been exciting alright especially for Walsh.

imtommygunn

I think waterford have mullane, brick and then eoin mcgrath to come back. Not sure ken mcgrath is as good in the forwards so think they need a bit of sorting out at CHB and CHF but their FB is still suspended so him being back, and those few changes, should help.

Munster will be the most interesting of whole hurling championship as the rest looks like being for second place.

Looks like wexford and offaly to go up to division one which would have been as expected. Hurling very predictable at times, dublin's form is the only real change of guard at all. While it's nice to see someone new antrim play them so in that regard I don't like it!

Reillers

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 29, 2009, 10:41:50 PM
I think waterford have mullane, brick and then eoin mcgrath to come back. Not sure ken mcgrath is as good in the forwards so think they need a bit of sorting out at CHB and CHF but their FB is still suspended so him being back, and those few changes, should help.

Munster will be the most interesting of whole hurling championship as the rest looks like being for second place.

Looks like wexford and offaly to go up to division one which would have been as expected. Hurling very predictable at times, dublin's form is the only real change of guard at all. While it's nice to see someone new antrim play them so in that regard I don't like it!

Ya the boys that are yet to come back will bring something to the squad, I just don't know how much Waterford as a team have left to give, they don't seem to have any underage players to bring through either which is worrying for them.
Munster, I love Munster days out, the banter, the craic, the atmospheres, it's brilliant. It deffinetly will be interesting this year. To see if Tipp are up to it or if Waterford is past it, and then you've got Limerick and Clare, to see if they'll be the banana skins this year or not.
It'll be interesting, call it blowing my own trumpet if you like but I still think that Cork will get ignored by the media when it comes to being their favourite to beat KK for a while, but at the end of the day Cork always seem to be the team around at the final whistle and always seem to be the only ones who are capable of beating KK. But of course I'll say that.
I think the KK match will tell us a lot, it'll tell us where we are and where we need to be, a KK match is always incredibly tough, so it doesn't help that we're weeks behind them in prep. Still it'll be a good marker to show us where we are, they wont give away easy goals or throw an 8 point lead away.  So I think it'll be a good marker.
As for the relegation and promotion, well it seems tit for tat every season, the same relegated and promoted, but Dublin have changed that all right.
Hurling is predictable at times, well the teams there, not the games.
Antrim for me seem to sometimes work themselves into a rut, they'll take a step forward and then take two steps back. Like they're running on the same spot.

I think hurling is the greatest game out there, especially when you've rivalries like you get in Munster and teams playing at full flight, it's a beauty to watch, and the players are so skilful, like Shane O Neill today, he was worth the admision fee alone. Hurling is a lot more fast paced, tempo game compared to football which can be very stop start.
I do think that hurling is given a great diservice by the media, they tend to concentrate on football mostly.
But at the end of the day, nothing beats hurling. Like I HATE KK but mother of God, them in the AI final, probably the closest thing we'll ever come to of seeing a perfect display of hurling.

orangeman

do think that hurling is given a great diservice by the media, they tend to concentrate on football mostly[/i

You're starting to get carried way now that all is well with the hurling world again after the successful outcome of yet another strike.

Keys, Shannon and co. kept the hurling flag flying all winter. Only for them we wouldn't have been kept informed at all.

Reillers

I didn't think it was possible om but you actually continue to make yourself look like more and more of a fool everytime you post.

slow corner back

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 29, 2009, 10:41:50 PM

I thought it was only one up one down from Div 1-2?

imtommygunn

Could be right...

In fact yeah play-off between first and second isn't it. My mistake. Well Offaly up so no surprise.

slow corner back

Wexford may have an opinion on that, apart from loosing to Antrim they have been blowing everyone else away.