Previous topic - Next topic

The GAA

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 13, 2009, 04:29:50 PM
Quote from: The GAA on March 13, 2009, 04:24:41 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on March 13, 2009, 04:22:05 PM
Quote from: The GAA on March 13, 2009, 04:19:46 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on March 13, 2009, 04:17:46 PM
Quote from: Reillers on March 13, 2009, 03:31:35 PM
It's irrelevant, Magpie Seanie is just trying to stirr things up with snide remarks like that after it's all calmed down.

I would like it very much if this topic could be kept pleasant, as in no bitching and personal attacks on players/posters/and ya even CB execs and such. I'm willing to stop the bitching, snide remarks and insults if everyone else is.

Do not presume to guess my motives. You do not know me and do not know the first thing about me. As it happens that is how I genuinely feel and frankly I don't care what you or anyone else thinks of my opinion. I leave the winding up to people who are better at it than me but as it happens you do a better job winding yourself up than anyone else could from what I can see. As for things being "all calmed down" - well, I'm speechless.

In reply to "the GAA" - O'Grady is probably the best man to get the best out of the former Cork hurlers. No doubting he is a good manager and will do things the way they like. That's not the same thing as the best man for the manager of the Cork hurling team. It depends on what peoples priorities are.

What do you think the priorities of the Cork senior hurling manager should be?

Developing a team capable of winning the All-Ireland.

And O'Grady may not be the beat man for that job, why?

It depends on how you view the value of the striking players doesn't it?

Well i'd imagine someone wanting to put together the best possible cork team would have to pick the best players - irrespective of public opinion or reputation.

i see no reason to assume O'Grady is no the best mn for that job

magpie seanie

Quote from: Reillers on March 13, 2009, 04:27:40 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on March 13, 2009, 04:26:00 PM
Quote from: Reillers on March 13, 2009, 04:22:37 PM
It's irrelevant, Magpie Seanie is just trying to stirr things up with snide remarks like that after it's all calmed down.

I would like it very much if this topic could be kept pleasant, as in no bitching and personal attacks on players/posters/and ya even CB execs and such. I'm willing to stop the bitching, snide remarks and insults if everyone else is.

Do not presume to guess my motives. You do not know me and do not know the first thing about me. As it happens that is how I genuinely feel and frankly I don't care what you or anyone else thinks of my opinion. I leave the winding up to people who are better at it than me but as it happens you do a better job winding yourself up than anyone else could from what I can see. As for things being "all calmed down" - well, I'm speechless.

In reply to "the GAA" - O'Grady is probably the best man to get the best out of the former Cork hurlers. No doubting he is a good manager and will do things the way they like. That's not the same thing as the best man for the manager of the Cork hurling team. It depends on what peoples priorities are.

Fair enough, if you say so. I'm not going to presume anything.
But you shouldn't presume you know this team either. You don't. Same way you don't know O Grady, if you think he does anything but his own way, you are way off the mark.
He is one of those managers that would have the door open, listen to your suggestions or views or whatever if they contrast to his and then tell you his are better and why. And he'd be right.

I know enough about them from what they say and do. You were presuming I was a wum with no evidence.
You made presumptions from what you saw and read from the media and on here, no evidence either.
But I apologise for calling you a WUM.

They're not presumptions. I'm fairly sure there's indisputable evidence that they have on more than one occasion refused to play for their county. They've encouraged the boycott of a man's mothers funeral. Several of them are involved in the upper echelons of an organisation whose raison d'etre I and many like me believe is to destroy the GAA as we know it, i.e. bring in fully fledged professionalism. They made an agreement last year not to strike again and within 12 months were back on strike - again, that is undisputed. There's a saying - my word is my bond and we've seen how good their word is.

The only presumption there is what I believe about the GPA. Everything else is impossible to argue and is certainly enough for me to dislike the former hurlers and what they are trying to do. Of course the county board needs a shake up but the way you are going on you'd swear it was me and a few other backwoodsmen on this DB that couldn't see the light. Most real GAA people see whats going on and are disgusted. This will eventually split the Association, an Association me and thousands of volunteers up and down the country run for no gain and less thanks. Men like Donal Óg, Gardiner and Seán Óg should go down in history for their hurling exploits but sadly history will remember them for something else.

Anyway - I'm fairly angry about the whole thing and am going to take a step back for a while. I genuinely meant it - let them have O'Grady if it will shut them up for a while. I'm sick listening to it in a year when we should be celebrating the 125th anniversary of the GAA';s foundation.

magpie seanie

Quote from: The GAA on March 13, 2009, 04:41:10 PM

Well i'd imagine someone wanting to put together the best possible cork team would have to pick the best players - irrespective of public opinion or reputation.

I didn't say he wasn't. I'm just not sure. I don't know.

bingobus

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 13, 2009, 04:43:36 PM

They're not presumptions. I'm fairly sure there's indisputable evidence that they have on more than one occasion refused to play for their county. They've encouraged the boycott of a man's mothers funeral. Several of them are involved in the upper echelons of an organisation whose raison d'etre I and many like me believe is to destroy the GAA as we know it, i.e. bring in fully fledged professionalism. They made an agreement last year not to strike again and within 12 months were back on strike - again, that is undisputed. There's a saying - my word is my bond and we've seen how good their word is.

The only presumption there is what I believe about the GPA. Everything else is impossible to argue and is certainly enough for me to dislike the former hurlers and what they are trying to do. Of course the county board needs a shake up but the way you are going on you'd swear it was me and a few other backwoodsmen on this DB that couldn't see the light. Most real GAA people see whats going on and are disgusted. This will eventually split the Association, an Association me and thousands of volunteers up and down the country run for no gain and less thanks. Men like Donal Óg, Gardiner and Seán Óg should go down in history for their hurling exploits but sadly history will remember them for something else.

Anyway - I'm fairly angry about the whole thing and am going to take a step back for a while. I genuinely meant it - let them have O'Grady if it will shut them up for a while. I'm sick listening to it in a year when we should be celebrating the 125th anniversary of the GAA';s foundation.

Excellent. Add my name to this post. Perfectly summed up for me.

The GAA

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 13, 2009, 04:45:06 PM

I didn't say he wasn't. I'm just not sure. I don't know.

I just assumed that because you made the assertion you were gonna present a case for the reasoning

dowling

Don't see why you're arguing this point GAA. OGrady said on the radio Jimmy Barry was the man for the job.
No doubting OGrady's credentials as a manager but at this point and time not what Cork as a county need.

The GAA

The highlighted is another fabrication

The GAA

Quote from: dowling on March 13, 2009, 04:55:24 PM
Don't see why you're arguing this point GAA. OGrady said on the radio Jimmy Barry was the man for the job.
No doubting OGrady's credentials as a manager but at this point and time not what Cork as a county need.

well that's not dissimilar to what seanie is saying.

i'm simply asking why O'Grady is not the best man for the job - despite being the best qualified.

i wonder if its because he appears to be the players' choice?

RedandGreenSniper

O'Grady might get the job when the external committee make a decision. For now it would be too imflamatory to give him the job on an interim basis - he has been too involved in the dispute. And, that's without even mentioning that O'Grady himself has suggested JBM.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

dowling

Quote from: The GAA on March 13, 2009, 04:58:12 PM
Quote from: dowling on March 13, 2009, 04:55:24 PM

well that's not dissimilar to what seanie is saying.

i'm simply asking why O'Grady is not the best man for the job - despite being the best qualified.

i wonder if its because he appears to be the players' choice?

Of course that's part of it, it implies that in all liklihood he won't be a unifying factor for the county.

The GAA

fair enough - no harm in admitting that.

I don't agree though

Reillers

Motions re Appointment of Senior Hurling Manager

(1) That within the framework of the Initiative proposed by the Central

Council, that three independent people be appointed by Central Council

to consider and recommend a Senior Hurling Team Manager to the

County Committee for a two year term.  

All three nominees to be Cork G.A.A. people.  

In the interest of impartiality that no member of the County Committee

(2008/'09) or current player be nominated in the three man Committee.

The process be overseen throughout by the Ard Stiurthóir Paraic Ó

Dufaigh.

(An Cathaoirleach Diarmuid Ó Suilleabháin, Coiste Bainisti)

(2) This format should relate to the 2009 Hurling Manager only and that the

process for future years be reviewed after a much more comprehensive

consultative process.

A once off Committee be constituted in the following way:-

(a) It would be Chaired by the County Chairman

(b) Retired ex players (perhaps 2)

(c) Successful ex managers or members with management experience (perhaps 2)

(d) County Board nominees proposed on the night (perhaps 2)

This Committee be a new Committee and that if they fail to achieve

unanimous agreement that they would report to County Board and let the

situation be analysed at that point.

(Proinnsías Ó Longaigh, Cairbre)

(3) That the Committee to select the new Cork Senior Hurling Manager consist of two representatives from the 2008 Cork Senior Hurling Panel, two Chairman from Intermediate/Senior Hurling Clubs, two Representatives from the County Executive and one Independent Chairman.

(Liam Ó Rinn, Roinn Oirthir,

submitted by Dunguairne to Roinn Oirthir)

(4) That the selection of the incoming Manager should be decided by a Committee drawn from the Cork Hurling winning Captains of the last 25 years.

(Liam Ó Rinn, Roinn Oirthir)

submitted by Naomh Ita to Roinn Oirthir)

(5) That the panel who are going to interview and select the incoming

Senior Hurling Manager for 2009 should be constituted in the following

manner:-

·     All Senior Hurling Chairpersons for 2009 be put into a hat and one drawn out as a panel member.

·     The last six Cork Senior Hurling Managers be put into a hat and one drawn out as a panel member.  

·     The respected G.A.A. Columnist, Mr. Jim O'Sullivan, to pick twelve retired Cork Senior Hurlers, be put into a hat and two drawn out as panel members.

·     One member of the Cork County Board/Delegate to be a panel member.

This process allows for a five person Committee to pick the next Senior Hurling Manager which is overseen by the Cork Board Chairman or Secretary.

(Al O Buachalla, Baile Nua Seandroma)

(6) That a Committee is formed to select the next Cork Senior Hurling

Manager consisting of -

One Member of Executive Committee

One Player's Rep. (no current player)

Three Reps of Clubs (to be selected by Clubs)

and that the Committee is overseen by a Chairman (non-voting) chosen

by outgoing Uachtarán, Nioclás Ó Braonáin.

(Dónal Ó Crualaoich, Dubhglas)

(7) That the Executive appoint, from their numbers, an Independent

Chairman, without voting rights, and a member who was not involved in

the appointment of the last Senior Hurling Management.

Five members to be elected from the floor of County Board, if more than

five nominations all the names go back to Clubs and Divisions to be

voted on.

(Séan Ó Crión, Muscrai)

(8) That the following be the composition of the Appointments Committee:-

Two County Board Delegates from Senior/Premier

Intermediate/Intermediate Hurling Clubs, nominated by the County

Committee.

Former All Ireland Inter-County Hurling winning Managers (i.e.

Senior/Intermediate/Under 21 or Minor) nominated by the County

Committee.

Former Inter-County Senior Hurling Player from the last decade

nominated by the 2008/'09 Senior Hurling panel of players

(Mícheál Ó Broin, Baile hAodha)

(9) That the Cork Senior Hurling Manager be recommended by three former Cork players not involved in the last ten years. The players to have no vested interest.

(Donál Ó Colmáin,Beal Atha'n Chasaidh)

(10) That the Committee to appoint the Cork Senior Hurling Manager

consist of -

Three former Cork Hurlers.

Three from the Executive Committee.

One Independent Person as Chairman.

(Donncha Ó Riordáin, Fanuithe na Claise)

(11) That the Committee to appoint the Senior Hurling Team Manager be

constituted as follows:-

Two Reps. nominated from the Executive

Two Reps. from 08 Players side (current players not eligible)

Three Club Reps. selected at County Board Meeting (current members of

Executive not eligible)

(Pádraig Ó hArgáin, Mainistir na Corann)

INDIANA

Quote from: Reillers on March 13, 2009, 03:53:50 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on March 13, 2009, 03:35:12 PM
I don't see the point in making an interim appointment, I mean whats in it for any manager to take it on for 2/3 games. Why not get an outside man. With all due respects O Grady is too close to the scene and has said too much in the papers to be involved with the current county board. (Thats me pointing someting out Reillers not abusing people) Plenty of quality choices outside the county. Managerial quality is not exclusive to Cork. An independent voice with no baggage.

The only reason I want O Grady is because he's so bloody good at what he does. He can see things like no one else can, everything is so, perfectly tuned under him.
Corcoran's first day back training after he came out of retirement, and O Grady looked at him and told him, after 20 odd years that he was holding the hurley wrong and that he wanted him to change it, he couldn't care less about old habbits.

I know this team and this team know it as well despite what ye may think that they are the force the were, but they want to have the best chance at at least trying to compete at the top level.
Do you know that McCarthy had a much better squad then Allen did.
I bet you didn't. But he failed to even blood players truley, that would have shined. He did things like play Sully Og completly out of position in training, a position he'd never played in before in his life. That is a sin. Sully Og has so much potential I don't even know where to begin with him.
There are a hell lot of players that are just there waiting to be brought in.
I mean if O Grady was there he could get the best out of Naughton, the way he cut threwTipp like they were butter in the first half last season was no fluke.
He could get the best out of them, out of the young players, out of some of the fantastic squad players we have.
He could bring back Wayne Sherlock for Christ sake.
Now I'm not saying he could win us an AI but the difference he would make, lightyears apart from anyone else.

Now he's an excellent manager and he made himself available but he was told no because he said it how it was in the paper, now I'd have no problem at all if someone better from outside the county came along, but who, the only one in my book who could be rated better then O Grady is Cody, and something tells me he's allready employed.

While Considine, in fairness he's a reasonable reputation as a coach but with the selectors: Daly, Ring and Cashman, they're all hand picked by FM.

They're not going away, Fm and co that is, the CB are still trying to screw the players over.

O Grady was the obvious, best choice, and they gave him a slap in the face and the players a bloody nose. The players gave their input which I think they should be entitled to, and they just went the other way completly, and surprise surprise, with a large majority landslide vote, but this way, the secret ballot, very smart call by the Cb, now the clubs can't see which way their delegate voted.

I have no problem with Considine, even though he made a complete hash of the U21s last season, wouldn't rely on him to make the motivating speeches looking at his track record, the U21s should have won the entire thing imo last season, they just stopped trying in one of the most disgraceful preformances from a very skilled team against Clare in Munster, the fact that too many players were involved with the senior team isn't good enough. IF he goes back to the U21s he should have a very decent strong squad this year, so should the minors as well, who had the same problem with motivation as the U21s did, they just didn't seem to want it enough, that's what you get for having an excuse for a youth structure.

I honestly wish him well though and the players said before that they've no problem working with him. I just think he was put in there by the CB for the wrong reasons, not because he was the best, but because he wasn't O Grady. And that's not fair on him tbh.

I ask again though, can we leave the bitching and snide remarks out, ignoring those who continue to stirr, who are only interested in stirring shite and looking for attention, and just get on with the game.

I don't agree Mc Carthy had a better squad because the older guys are not as good as they were. Only the O Connors and Kenny operate at the same level as previous years, the rest are down 10-15%. Now I know you'll say thast was down to Mc Carthy but the reality is you've major problems up front and that had nothing to do with Gerald. 1-10 cork can compete with most  teams - from 11 to 15 you'd struggle to match even Dublin. Bar Cathal Naughton and Ben O Connor you've no other forward kilkenny would want. Allen had a squad at their absolute peak, mc carthy didn't in my view and Considine even less so. Some of the players are there since they were 19- nearly 13 years ago, had they only started at 22/23 then maybe O Grady would extract more out of them but I think some of them have too many miles on the clock.
I don't think Gardiner and Curran are as good as they were and I think Conor O Sullivan is a better corner back than any others Cork have bar Shane O Neill. But he probably won't get a sniff becasue he was with the 09 squad. The jury is still out with Pat Horgan and Corry and a few others as to how good they'll be but I've seen them all against Dublin's underage sides and I don't think Cork have a huge amount coming through- not compared to Tipperary who are ven ahead of the Cats at underage level.

orangeman

While Considine, in fairness he's a reasonable reputation as a coach but with the selectors: Daly, Ring and Cashman, they're all hand picked by FM.
They're not going away, Fm and co that is, the CB are still trying to screw the players over.

Considine and co in charge for the League games, he's had a terrible record, wouldn't have been my first pick at all.

Donal O'Grady would have been the better choice but no doubt seen as too close to the players for the liking of the CCB.

Here we are yet again back to where we started.

Clueless again Dowling the playes said not so long ago that they wouldn't mind working with him. It's his selectors that are a disaster more then he is, all CB men. Hey at least it leaves the pathetic running of the CB on the table with that decision, if they had put O Grady in it would have all went away.

Considine has a terrible record and his selectors are a disaster, all CB men, all hand picked by the CB.

I can't believe this. Daly, Cashman and Ring all in Frank's pocket ?? Considine has a terrible record -

Why did the CB and the delegates appoint him if this is simply back to square one again ? How does Considine feel now ? He hasn't even taken a session and he knows he's not the preferred candidate ?

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: bingobus on March 13, 2009, 04:47:29 PM

Excellent. Add my name to this post. Perfectly summed up for me.

Great summarisation, bit in bold in particular. I seem to remember one of Donal Og's statements at the start of this shite way back when, where he said something along the lines of no great love for Cork outside the county. It was paranoia back then but if he uttered the same comment tomorrow he'd be fairly bang on the money...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...