McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The GAA

Quote from: INDIANA on March 13, 2009, 03:35:12 PM
I don't see the point in making an interim appointment, I mean whats in it for any manager to take it on for 2/3 games. Why not get an outside man. With all due respects O Grady is too close to the scene and has said too much in the papers to be involved with the current county board. (Thats me pointing someting out Reillers not abusing people) Plenty of quality choices outside the county. Managerial quality is not exclusive to Cork. An independent voice with no baggage.

I don't accept that as logical in the least. too close to the scene?  ???

Certainly, O'Grady has a strained relationship with Murphy but that is irrelevent to whether he's the bast man to manage the hurling team. the county executive's influence on the appointment is likely to be minimal anyway

Reillers

It's not a cheap shot at anyone Dowling, McCarthy had better players available then Allen did, but for one reason, and a hell lot of that would have been down to bad luck and timing, he didn't get to truely blood the players that we all would have liked seen blooded.
That includes the likes of Sully Og who had an awful leg injury there a season or two ago.

The other bits that you highlighted are things I said before I made that post. Clearly you determined to keep going, go on, off you go, just can you bitch quietly and stirr to yourself instead of inflicting it on us.
Clearly we are trying to start afresh here, but not if you can help it. Go be petty somewhere else.

And no the mods haven't talked to us.

Galwaybhoy

Quote from: The GAA on March 13, 2009, 04:08:38 PM
Quote from: Galwaybhoy on March 13, 2009, 03:45:30 PM
Quote from: heffo on March 13, 2009, 03:33:17 PM
Quote from: Galwaybhoy on March 13, 2009, 03:29:01 PM
Quote from: Reillers on March 13, 2009, 03:20:52 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on March 13, 2009, 03:08:01 PM
Let them have O'Grady. They'll still win no All-Ireland and at least then there'll be no excuses. Well no hiding place, I'm sure they'll find some excuses.

So when the bickering and bitching and attacks on the players stop, you have to come in and say that, are you that much of a wum or are you that desperate for attention? I'm sure you could co bitch on bebo or facebook or something, whatever it is you're using.

I would see Cork (with the 08 players) fighting it out for number 2 in Munster with Waterford.

What about Tipp?

Yeah I would rank them no.1 in Munster at this moment, thats why I said itmwould be a close call between Waterford and Cork for second best imo. :)

That's a fair assessment i'd say though the munster championship promises to be very closely fought.

As it always is...and some people think it would be a great idea to srap the Munster Championship! >:(

magpie seanie

Quote from: Reillers on March 13, 2009, 03:31:35 PM
It's irrelevant, Magpie Seanie is just trying to stirr things up with snide remarks like that after it's all calmed down.

I would like it very much if this topic could be kept pleasant, as in no bitching and personal attacks on players/posters/and ya even CB execs and such. I'm willing to stop the bitching, snide remarks and insults if everyone else is.

Do not presume to guess my motives. You do not know me and do not know the first thing about me. As it happens that is how I genuinely feel and frankly I don't care what you or anyone else thinks of my opinion. I leave the winding up to people who are better at it than me but as it happens you do a better job winding yourself up than anyone else could from what I can see. As for things being "all calmed down" - well, I'm speechless.

In reply to "the GAA" - O'Grady is probably the best man to get the best out of the former Cork hurlers. No doubting he is a good manager and will do things the way they like. That's not the same thing as the best man for the manager of the Cork hurling team. It depends on what peoples priorities are.

The GAA

Quote from: Galwaybhoy on March 13, 2009, 04:14:33 PM
Let them have O'Grady. They'll still win no All-Ireland and at least then there'll be no excuses. Well no hiding place, I'm sure they'll find some excuses.

So when the bickering and bitching and attacks on the players stop, you have to come in and say that, are you that much of a wum or are you that desperate for attention? I'm sure you could co bitch on bebo or facebook or something, whatever it is you're using.

I would see Cork (with the 08 players) fighting it out for number 2 in Munster with Waterford.

What about Tipp?

Yeah I would rank them no.1 in Munster at this moment, thats why I said itmwould be a close call between Waterford and Cork for second best imo. :)

That's a fair assessment i'd say though the munster championship promises to be very closely fought.

As it always is...and some people think it would be a great idea to srap the Munster Championship! >:(

I'd prefe they scrapped the all ireland and kept the munster championship!  ;D

Reillers

Quote from: Galwaybhoy on March 13, 2009, 04:14:33 PM

What about Tipp?

Tipp have a lot to prove, a lot, they didn't live up to their hype last season and I don't know if they can this season, we'll have to wait and see.
Munster, I love Munster day outs, the crowd, the atmosphere, it's just something else.
It's the coats up in Dublin who seem to think it's a good idea to scrap the game, I haven't met a Munster person yet who likes the idea.
They don't get it though. Wouldn't expect them to either, all they have if Kilkenny and even then they don't get a crowd till semi/quarter final day. It's just special.

heffo

Quote from: dowling on March 13, 2009, 04:09:33 PM
Quote from: Reillers on March 13, 2009, 01:10:43 AM
Quote from: tyronefan on March 12, 2009, 10:56:16 PM
john considine new manager   just announced on rte

Would have prefered Donal O Grady myself but there wasn't a chance in hell the Cb were going to bring him back.

Considine and co in charge for the League games, he's had a terrible record, wouldn't have been my first pick at all.

Donal O'Grady would have been the better choice but no doubt seen as too close to the players for the liking of the CCB.

Here we are yet again back to where we started.

The delegates are now on a lead from their clubs and it's clear now that they will make things as hard as they possibly can for the players and when it comes to decisions like Considine or O Grady, they will vote for whichever the players were prefer least.

Quote from: Reillers on March 13, 2009, 03:53:50 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on March 13, 2009, 03:35:12 PM
I don't see the point in making an interim appointment, I mean whats in it for any manager to take it on for 2/3 games. Why not get an outside man. With all due respects O Grady is too close to the scene and has said too much in the papers to be involved with the current county board. (Thats me pointing someting out Reillers not abusing people) Plenty of quality choices outside the county. Managerial quality is not exclusive to Cork. An independent voice with no baggage.

The only reason I want O Grady is because he's so bloody good at what he does. He can see things like no one else can, everything is so, perfectly tuned under him.
Corcoran's first day back training after he came out of retirement, and O Grady looked at him and told him, after 20 odd years that he was holding the hurley wrong and that he wanted him to change it, he couldn't care less about old habbits.

I know this team and this team know it as well despite what ye may think that they are the force the were, but they want to have the best chance at at least trying to compete at the top level.
Do you know that McCarthy had a much better squad then Allen did.
I bet you didn't. But he failed to even blood players truley,
that would have shined. He did things like play Sully Og completly out of position in training, a position he'd never played in before in his life. That is a sin. Sully Og has so much potential I don't even know where to begin with him.
There are a hell lot of players that are just there waiting to be brought in.
I mean if O Grady was there he could get the best out of Naughton, the way he cut threwTipp like they were butter in the first half last season was no fluke.
He could get the best out of them, out of the young players, out of some of the fantastic squad players we have.
He could bring back Wayne Sherlock for Christ sake.
Now I'm not saying he could win us an AI but the difference he would make, lightyears apart from anyone else.

Now he's an excellent manager and he made himself available but he was told no because he said it how it was in the paper, now I'd have no problem at all if someone better from outside the county came along, but who, the only one in my book who could be rated better then O Grady is Cody, and something tells me he's allready employed.

While Considine, in fairness he's a reasonable reputation as a coach but with the selectors: Daly, Ring and Cashman, they're all hand picked by FM.

They're not going away, Fm and co that is, the CB are still trying to screw the players over.

O Grady was the obvious, best choice, and they gave him a slap in the face and the players a bloody nose. The players gave their input which I think they should be entitled to, and they just went the other way completly, and surprise surprise, with a large majority landslide vote, but this way, the secret ballot, very smart call by the Cb, now the clubs can't see which way their delegate voted.

I have no problem with Considine, even though he made a hash of the U21s last season who should have won the entire thing imo, the fact that too many players were involved with the senior team isn't good enough.
I honestly wish him well and the players said before that they've no problem working with him. I just think he was put in there by the CB for the wrong reasons, not because he was the best, but because he wasn't O Grady. And that's not fair on him tbh.

I ask again though, can we leave the bitching and snide remarks out, ignoring those who continue to stirr, who are only interested in stirring shite and looking for attention, and just get on with the game.

Have the mods been on to you and heffo?

Absolutely not. We had a heart to heart and sorted things out.

The GAA

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 13, 2009, 04:17:46 PM
It's irrelevant, Magpie Seanie is just trying to stirr things up with snide remarks like that after it's all calmed down.

I would like it very much if this topic could be kept pleasant, as in no bitching and personal attacks on players/posters/and ya even CB execs and such. I'm willing to stop the bitching, snide remarks and insults if everyone else is.

Do not presume to guess my motives. You do not know me and do not know the first thing about me. As it happens that is how I genuinely feel and frankly I don't care what you or anyone else thinks of my opinion. I leave the winding up to people who are better at it than me but as it happens you do a better job winding yourself up than anyone else could from what I can see. As for things being "all calmed down" - well, I'm speechless.

In reply to "the GAA" - O'Grady is probably the best man to get the best out of the former Cork hurlers. No doubting he is a good manager and will do things the way they like. That's not the same thing as the best man for the manager of the Cork hurling team. It depends on what peoples priorities are.

What do you think the priorities of the Cork senior hurling manager should be?

magpie seanie

Quote from: The GAA on March 13, 2009, 04:19:46 PM

Developing a team capable of winning the All-Ireland.

Reillers

Fair enough, if you say so. I'm not going to presume anything.
But you shouldn't presume you know this team either. You don't. Same way you don't know O Grady, if you think he does anything but his own way, you are way off the mark.
He is one of those managers that would have the door open, listen to your suggestions or views or whatever if they contrast to his and then tell you his are better and why. And he'd be right.

The GAA

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 13, 2009, 04:22:05 PM

And O'Grady may not be the beat man for that job, why?

magpie seanie

Quote from: Reillers on March 13, 2009, 04:22:37 PM

But you shouldn't presume you know this team either. You don't. Same way you don't know O Grady, if you think he does anything but his own way, you are way off the mark.
He is one of those managers that would have the door open, listen to your suggestions or views or whatever if they contrast to his and then tell you his are better and why. And he'd be right.

I know enough about them from what they say and do. You were presuming I was a wum with no evidence.

Reillers

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 13, 2009, 04:26:00 PM
Quote from: Reillers on March 13, 2009, 04:22:37 PM

I know enough about them from what they say and do. You were presuming I was a wum with no evidence.
You made presumptions from what you saw and read from the media and on here, no evidence either.
But I apologise for calling you a WUM.

magpie seanie

Quote from: The GAA on March 13, 2009, 04:24:41 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on March 13, 2009, 04:22:05 PM

And O'Grady may not be the beat man for that job, why?

It depends on how you view the value of the striking players doesn't it?

dowling

Quote from: Reillers on March 13, 2009, 04:12:37 PM
It's not a cheap shot at anyone Dowling, McCarthy had better players available then Allen did, but for one reason, and a hell lot of that would have been down to bad luck and timing, he didn't get to truely blood the players that we all would have liked seen blooded.
That includes the likes of Sully Og who had an awful leg injury there a season or two ago.

The other bits that you highlighted are things I said before I made that post. Clearly you determined to keep going, go on, off you go, just can you bitch quietly and stirr to yourself instead of inflicting it on us.
Clearly we are trying to start afresh here, but not if you can help it. Go be petty somewhere else.

And no the mods haven't talked to us.

You implied last night I was uncivil and I asked for one post to show me where. Whether you take any notice of anything I write or are dismissive of everything I write I have been neither uncivil or abusive on this board and have consistently questioned the need of yourself and others to be so.
Sooner or later this thread will end and in the bigger scheme of things all remarks here will be gone and insignificant.

In the real world in Cork however there is a lot to be resolved. Your highlighted posts make no contribution to that.