McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reillers

Does everything i say have to be blown completly out of proportion every time i post. I know ye enjoy it but would ye ever lay off for a minute. Surely ye've something better to do..apparently not. I did not say he was making up. And i don't think that either but some do. I asked a question bout the cira comment. it wasn't mentioned in his statement. That is why it looks like sensalisation from the media who clearly forgot about their biography's with the players. everything isn't always the players fault.

orangeman

Reiller's position mirrors that of the 2008 panel who were quite prepared to do and say most things in order to achieve victory.

His comments which make light of death threats from a paramilitary organisation are quite repulsive and only serve to take away any credibility he had as a pasionate pro player poster.

But saying that Gerald had made his bed and therefore should have seen the threats coming and deserved them and to make light of real death threats from the Continuity IRA demonstrate clearly a perverse, warped and pathetic mindset.
Nothing can justify the abuse Mc Carthy has had to take.

This is indeed a sick and sorry episode in the GAA's history. There have been fall outs before but for people in Cork to take the dispute to this level is unprecedented and is part of their history that no one should be proud of.

Just think  -  the 2008 panel will run out onto Mallow pitch without a care in the world next week under their new preferred manager and "fans"who issued death threats to the former manager and his family will be in the stands in Thurles cheering on their team.

Doesn't make much sense but that's Cork for you.

theskull1

Quote from: turk on March 11, 2009, 11:47:10 AM
Quote from: bottlethrower7 on March 11, 2009, 10:28:45 AM
and will this be the end of the strike?

surely not. The issue was with the board, not McCarthy, right?

so the board will appoint a new manager to manage a lot of spotty imposters?

not the 08 panel. Because they stand firm by their convictions. And their problem is Frank Murphy, but he hadn't quit.

So the strike continues

right?

Ya, agree 100% here bottle thrower.
I have to put the hands up here as i was told i don't understand the real issues etc, but that it wasn't about Gerald Mc at all.
So what's changed?

Can someone clarify this.

Well it was, then its was Ger & the CB, then it was FM, at a time it was all three. Now we've come full circle and it was all about Ger Mc and the players have washed their hands of their issues with the CB ruining Cork hurling.

Thats what Reillers has been saying "consistently" for months  :-\

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

The GAA

Quote from: sligeach on March 11, 2009, 12:12:34 PM
Quote from: The GAA on March 11, 2009, 12:03:52 PM
How can some tool pretending to e from the CIRA be linked to the players?

That is ridiculous

.... Are you really going to sink to reillers depths on this ?

It doesn't matter if they claimed they were the CIRA or the f**king Peoples liberation Army of Antartica.

And just out of curiosity, why do you think it is ridiculous ? It could very well be a member of the CIRA.

Have you no conscience at all ?

If someone has made these threats they should be dealt with through the courts.

I think its ridiculous to link these threats to the the cork hurlers - not that they're been given credence.

if you were asking me to assess the level of likelihood that the threat is credibly from the continuity irish republican army, then i'd say no. the caller would have to quote a recognised codeword for that to be the case - otherwise any gobhite could make claims on behalf of any terrorist organisation

Reillers

Would ye read my fuckin post. Ye have taken just about everything i've said so out of context and proportion. I do not do it to ye as tempting as it is at times. Ye are constantaly  thrashing  me for things i haven't said.  I have never not once condoned what has happened. But yet ye continue t act like i did.

cornafean

Quote from: The GAA on March 11, 2009, 12:25:51 PM
the caller would have to quote a recognised codeword for that to be the case - otherwise any gobhite could make claims on behalf of any terrorist organisation

Do you really think every CIRA, RIRA or PIRA thug issues a "recognised codeword" every time they issue a threat to a member of the public?  ::)
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

tyronefan

That is ridiculous

It doesn't matter if they claimed they were the CIRA or the f**king Peoples liberation Army of Antartica.

And just out of curiosity, why do you think it is ridiculous ? It could very well be a member of the CIRA.

I think its ridiculous to link these threats to the the cork hurlers - not that they're been given credence.

if you were asking me to assess the level of likelihood that the threat is credibly from the continuity irish republican army, then i'd say no. the caller would have to quote a recognised codeword for that to be the case - otherwise any gobhite could make claims on behalf of any terrorist organisation

how do you know this didnt happen

bingobus

That is ridiculous

You are been petty and belittling this.

Does Ger McCarthy think that the CIRA called his house? No, very much not but some nutjob who supports the players (not linked to them but he could very well know that) took the time out to ring his house and threaten him via his daughter. His fear in all of this was the stress it wa causing his family and what may have happened next. When your 80 year father asks you to do something as a result you listen to it and see it for what it is.

Even talking of codewords is due bullshit and you are trying to prove this as been a prank.

Of course these threats have to be linked to the cork hurlers. It may not be their doing, intention and I'm sure they'll condem it but the sole reason these calls where made was to get Ger out of the job and the 2008 panel back on the field. Plain and simple. It wasn't becasue some boyo disagreed with the team he picked this year or last!!

The GAA

well possibly thngs are different in the south but it's been 30 years of standard practice for threats and claims of action from paramilitaries to be substantiated by stating that "the caller used a recognised codeword".

tyronefan

does it matter who issued the threat  the fact remains that he was threatened

orangeman

I don't think the young girl / woman who answered the phone last week was really thinking to herself that she ought to ask him for a "recognised codeword" as the caller who introduced himself as being from the Continuity IRA went on to describe how if her father didn't stand down that he and his family members would get their heads blown off.

I don't think that she simply sat down again after the caller made his point and put on the kettle, shrugged her shoulders and announced to the rest of the family, "oh but it's ok guys, you've nothing to worry about, the caller didn't have his password / pin number / recognised code word" !!!!!!!!!

Reillers - could you get a message to the strikers please ? Would you tell them to get on to Colm Keys and tell Colm to announce on their behalf as usual, that they uttterly regret and condmen the death threats made against Gerald and his family ???. Thanks.

The GAA

Quote from: bingobus on March 11, 2009, 12:37:32 PM
You are been petty and belittling this.

Does Ger McCarthy think that the CIRA called his house? No, very much not but some nutjob who supports the players (not linked to them but he could very well know that) took the time out to ring his house and threaten him via his daughter. His fear in all of this was the stress it wa causing his family and what may have happened next. When your 80 year father asks you to do something as a result you listen to it and see it for what it is.

Even talking of codewords is due bullshit and you are trying to prove this as been a prank.

Of course these threats have to be linked to the cork hurlers. It may not be their doing, intention and I'm sure they'll condem it but the sole reason these calls where made was to get Ger out of the job and the 2008 panel back on the field. Plain and simple. It wasn't becasue some boyo disagreed with the team he picked this year or last!!

There is not a chance in this earthly world this is a genuine threat from the cira. you know it and i know it. lets stop playing silly beggars around this. That there were dickheads threatening violence against gerald is not disputed. it happens in the gaa on a weekly basis. there are gobshites everywhere. lets drop this melodramatic horseshit.

sligeach

No one here said any such thing. You said it was ridiculous it was linked to the CIRA.

Quoteif you were asking me to assess the level of likelihood that the threat is credibly from the continuity irish republican army, then i'd say no. the caller would have to quote a recognised codeword for that to be the case - otherwise any gobhite could make claims on behalf of any terrorist organisation

1. They haven't always done this.
2. Whos to say a member of said group didn't do it with his own gang of mates in Cork ? The IRA in the South have operated as supply cells in the past so probably would not even know such codewords as they wouldn't be using them.
3. How do you know they didn't use a codeword ?

4. And this is the most important one, why does it matter if someone did or didn't use a code word and was indeed, some gobshite threatening Ger on his own and not a paramilitary group. Is it ok then ?

The GAA

Quote from: orangeman on March 11, 2009, 12:42:22 PM
I don't think the young girl / woman who answered the phone last week was really thinking to herself that she ought to ask him for a "recognised codeword" as the caller who introduced himself as being from the Continuity IRA went on to describe how if her father didn't stand down that he and his family members would get their heads blown off.

I don't think that she simply sat down again after the caller made his point and put on the kettle, shrugged her shoulders and announced to the rest of the family, "oh but it's ok guys, you've nothing to worry about, the caller didn't have his password / pin number / recognised code word" !!!!!!!!!

Reillers - could you get a message to the strikers please ? Would you tell them to get on to Colm Keys and tell Colm to announce on their behalf as usual, that they uttterly regret and condmen the death threats made against Gerald and his family ???. Thanks.

Me thinking they would use a recognised code word if they it was serious is on the same plane of stupidity as taking the thing seriously at all

The GAA

Quote from: sligeach on March 11, 2009, 12:42:37 PM

No one here said any such thing. You said it was ridiculous it was linked to the CIRA.

No - i said it was ridiculous to link it to the hurlers