McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Quote from: Reillers on February 08, 2009, 11:31:19 PM
I'd facny Donal O Grady to take the job again. A rumour I heard. (no doubt it's untrue I'd say) But still, now that would be interesting.

The strikers will love to see O'Grady taking them. They seemed to have a lot of time for him and vice versa.

But Mc Carthy hasn't gone away you know !!!

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on February 08, 2009, 11:34:49 PM
Quote from: Reillers on February 08, 2009, 11:31:19 PM
I'd facny Donal O Grady to take the job again. A rumour I heard. (no doubt it's untrue I'd say) But still, now that would be interesting.

The strikers will love to see O'Grady taking them. They seemed to have a lot of time for him and vice versa.

But Mc Carthy hasn't gone away you know !!!

Over the years there has been massive parnoia built up on both sides which leads to things being done and said from both sides which make no sense to people on the outside.
The players just want a good manager, when McCarthy was appointed it had the CB written all over it and he hasn't been a good manager and everything with him has been below the standards that are acceptable at this level, especially when you compare it to O Grady. They both had a lot of time for eachother and great respect and that's still there today. He knows full well what the players are up against and if you asked Allen, hell even Justin McCarthy who was ran out of Cork b the CB with pitch forks, then they'd all tell you the same thing about the CB and I honestly can't see them wanting to work with FM again.

Richie Connor has done the right thing walking away, Gerald should do the same with his reputation intact before he's known as the man who got Cork relegated to the Christy Ring Cup.

orangeman

How can you say that Gerald's reputation is intact after the press conference ??

Reillers

To an extent it is. If he walks away now, when people look back, in time, they'll remember him for a great player, pity about what happened with the Cork team, but a great player, just not meant for management.
If he continues with this he'll be firstly and always remembered as the man who got Cork relegated to the Christy Ring Cup.

Reillers

Quote from: hardstation on February 09, 2009, 12:07:21 AM
Reputation intact? The man who got Cork relegated to the Christy Ring Cup? Fcuk off! That is completely unfair.
The ex-players have brought this man's name through the mud and by refusal to play have caused Cork to be relegated (if it happens).

One has been there for Cork - the other 20 odd haven't.

Nonsense, Reillers and completely unfair on the man.

It is completley unfair, but that's how people will remember it. At the end of the day that is how people will remember it, the result is what will matter and like what will happen against Tipp, it wont matter that the team that's playing is a 5th string team, McCarthy is the one who'll take the entire heat for it.

Reillers

Quote from: hardstation on February 09, 2009, 12:16:39 AM
Not in my eyes. I'll remember it as "the time Cork's players never bothered their arses playing".

I'd say that will be in the memory of anyone outside of the Cork player's and their mates.

You'll remember it as that, but look it's the way it goes.
It only really matters what Cork fans think really to be bluntly honest in all of this.
Like when people who look back at Ireland's campaign for the rugby world cup, the first thing that's remembered is that Eddie O Sullivan will always be thought of first and be remembered as the man who screwed up Ireland's great chance.
Irrelevant of how the players played, for 99% of the fans he's thought of and blamed first by Irish fans, even if the ones on the outside said that the players weren't great.
Mick McCarthy will never be remember for the player he was, he'll be remembered as the idiot who sent Ireland's best player home before the WC.

It's alwas his fault, it's always when it comes down to it, the managers fault when things go pear shaped completley.
When things go really bad the manager is replaced a lot of the times. Rightly or wrongly years from now, if this isn't resolved and Cork get relegated the first thing that fans will think of when Gerald's name is mentioned is the man who got Cork relegated.

Same way Cody and Harte will be remembered for the wins.

It's the way it goes.

Reillers

Quote from: hardstation on February 09, 2009, 12:29:50 AM
Still to this day the arguement is split over the Mick/Roy thing.

One thing is clear - Gerald didn't send anyone home. They stayed at home. Gerald continues to manage the team.

The 2008 team deserted Cork, not Gerald.

But in large McCarthy (and I'm not getting into this debate) is remembered in the long run as the fecker who sent the best players home before the WC.
EOS will always be blamed for the WC.
And the Cork players will be remembered for fighting the CB, facts will be blurred and the hurlers will end up being the ones who faught the bully and Gerald will be the one who gets Cork relegated.

The players always, rightly or wrongly for 99% of the time, come across as the good ones when things go wrong. It's the way it is.
Same way when teams under a certain manager do extremley well they are remembered first before the players. Oh the great Declan Kidney, Sir Alex Ferguson, Mickey Harte, Brian Cody..etc.
Great managers over a long period of time.
Like Ferguson, people wont remember off the top of their heads who was playing right back for United in 97, but people will always remember the manager.
It's the way it is.
Win, you're immortalised, loose, you're to blame.
You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain in this job.

Reillers

Quote from: hardstation on February 09, 2009, 12:46:58 AM
Balls.

"Cork 2008 players didn't want to play, Gerald did his best with what he had" will be remembered.

If that's what you want to believe, but I doubt it, like I said, memories and facts ged blurred, it's the results that matter at the end of the day.

Cody, Kidney, Harte, Fergie..legends, fantastic managers.

At the end of the day in a few years from now, the losses will be remembered first, it's the way it is, it's always been, and Gerald will before anything else, unless he leaves and leaves soon, be remembered for the man who got Cork relegated, whether he was fully to blame or not will in time become irrelevant.

It's true, you either die a hero or live long enough to become a villain.

And in this case..Gerald will be the villian, even if that's not how people see it now.
Time will pass, facts will be blurred and at the end of the day you'll have Gerald standing there with his team relegated and nothing but that will matter.

Now maybe it wont happen, maybe Gerald will be remembered the way you say he will, but the likelyhood is in time, if history is anything to go by, he'll get the blame.

heffo

Balls.

"Cork 2008 players didn't want to play, Gerald did his best with what he had" will be remembered.

Careful HS or you'll be next on the list to have your name blackened along with everyone else who doesn't agree with the strikers.

The GAA

Quote from: orangeman on February 08, 2009, 10:47:21 PM
If he is a noble,honourable,brave GAA man which I am sure he is by the way, why does he not resign his post if the CB are so full of cowards, no gooders, submissive individuals who have a pathological hatred of the strikers ?

what good would that do?

The GAA

Quote from: orangeman on February 08, 2009, 10:58:08 PM
Ach come on Reillers just expalin it - I obviously missed it last time around - sorry.

Reillers - if Gerald resigns or is sacked in the next week or two, is it your understanding that the entire 2008 panel will abandon their strike action and that all of them will rejoin the 2009 panel under a new manager ??

You have spoken about how Donal Og should walk away - might others join him ?

You've been told the answer many many times. are you not capable of taking it all in or are you playing to the crowd? even the new batch of bandwagon posters have probably been lurking on the thread all through and know you're a clown anyway so there's no point trying to look like a wise owl at this stage...

The GAA

Balls.

Gerald will be the man who the players didn;t want but who dug his heels in for personal pride.

anyone who says he's hanging on for the good of cork hurling is bananas

INDIANA

and going on strike has furthered the cause of Cork hurling? Yeah good point!

johnneycool

Balls.

For the rights and wrongs of it, i'd say the vast majority of non Cork people will remember this period in the manner hardstation has suggested.

The GAA

Quote from: INDIANA on February 09, 2009, 08:51:21 AM
and going on strike has furthered the cause of Cork hurling? Yeah good point!

You are in the middle of this mess indiana. the success or otherwise will be determined long term.

the actions taken in disputes to bring the opposite side to their senses never look profitible short term.