McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Reillers on February 08, 2009, 10:06:46 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on February 08, 2009, 09:48:17 PM
Heard the same Heffo, I'm hoping he does for his sake. terrific coach who deserves better from the players he coaches who obviously have no appreciation for the man.
You know I've heard some pretty biased stuff on here, but to say that he's a terrific coach is a joke. He's an awful mananger and everyone knows it.

I think you mistook whom they are referring to Reilers, Conor Counihan not Gerald McCarthy,because theres noway Conor Counihan could be classed as an awful manager.
The people i feel sorry for in this is the 2009 panel,They really are in a no win situation.

Reillers

Quote from: realrebel on February 08, 2009, 09:40:42 PM
ya you are dead right indiana
can reillers or anyone else tell me
how come over the last 20 years or so there have been low attendances for the opening league games
where are all the die hard fans that turn up for the finals how come they dont go to the league matches
how can they call themselves geniune supporters when they dont go and watch the league games
then everyone wants a ticket for the finals

Yesterday the players backers, the anti CCB followers showed up in their thousands, the gards said between 10-12000 but apparently numbers don't matter.
And they made themselves heard.
Today was the chance of the McCarthy backers and CB backers (if there are any) to show their support, to let their voice be heard.
And only 2000 showed up, the fact that it was a League game and aganist Dublin, shouldn't matter, and can't be used as an excuse, it was their chance to voice their backing and if that, the whole 2000, was a petty crowd.
No one will be worrying about tickets to any game this season because we'll get trashed and relegated, but hey, at least Gerald's ego is still intact. FFS. Offaly did the right thing, I like Gerald I do, one hell of a player, but he's nothing to prove, he needs to walk away, he needs to accept that he was never the right man for the job, he wasn't good enough.
His legendary status is preserved in Cork folklore, if he leaves now it'll stay intact, I would love to remember Gerald for the player he was, not the manager who was too proud to resign and got us relegated to the Christy Ring Cup.

If it is Donal Og who is all behind this, (which I don't believe it is) then why not just walk away and not sink to that apparent level.

If he leaves now, no one will think any less of him. It kills me to criticise him, but I honestly believe that the right thing for him to do is to walk away. It didn't work out with the team, it happens, but sooner or later Gerald most realise that he is a pawn in all of this and hopefully it wont be too late.

Zulu

Reillers, Indiana was referring to Counihan not MaCarthy when he said he was a teriffic coach.

Heffo, these lads aren't up to the standard required, gym work or no gym work. There is no shame in that as most fellas aren't but it is now clear that none of the 08 squad will return and if anything many of the current squad might re-evaluate their position, some of them, especially those not on the team who will question if they want to be just bench warmers until the day most of the 08 squad come back.

orangeman

Quote from: INDIANA on February 08, 2009, 10:18:17 PM
Heard the same Heffo, I'm hoping he does for his sake. terrific coach who deserves better from the players he coaches who obviously have no appreciation for the man.
You know I've heard some pretty biased stuff on here, but to say that he's a terrific coach is a joke. He's an awful mananger and everyone knows it.

conor counihan is a terrible coach? You really are a prize plonker Reillers. That just confirms it.

You know nothing about Cork football Indiana !!

Reillers

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on February 08, 2009, 10:21:11 PM

I think you mistook whom they are referring to Reilers, Conor Counihan not Gerald McCarthy,because theres noway Conor Counihan could be classed as an awful manager.
The people i feel sorry for in this is the 2009 panel,They really are in a no win situation.
Fair enough, apologies.
And I agree the 09 players, who knew full well what they are getting into when they agreed to play, are also being used in all of this. I know some of the lads on the squad and it wasn't nice to see them suffering like they did today and what will happen against Tipp.

orangeman

Reillers - nail your colours to the mast -

Is Gerry O'Sullivan a coward or not ??

INDIANA

Quote from: Reillers on February 08, 2009, 10:21:57 PM
how come over the last 20 years or so there have been low attendances for the opening league games
where are all the die hard fans that turn up for the finals how come they dont go to the league matches
how can they call themselves geniune supporters when they dont go and watch the league games

Yesterday the players backers, the anti CCB followers showed up in their thousands, the gards said between 10-12000 but apparently numbers don't matter.
Today was the chance of the McCarthy backers and CB backers (if there are any) to show their support, to let their voice be heard.
And only 2000 showed up, the fact that it was a League game and aganist Dublin, shouldn't matter, and can't be used as an excuse, it was their chance to voice their backing and if that, the whole 2000, was a petty crowd.
No one will be worrying about tickets to any game this season because we'll get trashed and relegated, but hey, at least Gerald's ego is still intact. FFS. Offaly did the right thing, I like Gerald I do, one hell of a player, but he's nothing to prove, he needs to walk away, he needs to accept that he was never the right man for the job, he wasn't good enough.
His legendary status is preserved in Cork folklore, if he leaves now it'll stay intact, I would love to remember Gerald for the player he was, not the manager who was too proud to resign and got us relegated to the Christy Ring Cup.

If it is Donal Og who is all behind this, (which I don't believe it is) then why not just walk away and not sink to that apparent level.

If he leaves now, no one will think any less of him. It kills me to criticise him, but I honestly believe that the right thing for him to do is to walk away. It didn't work out with the team, it happens, but sooner or later Gerald most realise that he is a pawn in all of this and hopefully it wont be too late.

Reillers you know he's out the door next Saturday night regardless.

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on February 08, 2009, 10:33:00 PM

I say things in the heat of the moment a lot, which I'm sure you've noticed.
GOS is anything but a coward and I never said he was.
I said there are some cowards on the CB. There are some in my view but most are being held at ransom, but there are some who just wont do anything, they are the ones who do my head in.

orangeman

Quote from: Reillers on February 08, 2009, 10:38:06 PM

I said there are some cowards on the CB. There are some in my view but most are being held at ransom, but there are some who just wont do anything, they are the ones who do my head in.

If he is a noble,honourable,brave GAA man which I am sure he is by the way, why does he not resign his post if the CB are so full of cowards, no gooders, submissive individuals who have a pathological hatred of the strikers ?

Reillers

Quote from: INDIANA on February 08, 2009, 10:33:59 PM
Quote from: Reillers on February 08, 2009, 10:21:57 PM

Reillers you know he's out the door next Saturday night regardless.
I wouldn't put my money on it.
That combined with the march, the result today, the small crowd today, and what happened in Offaly with Richie Connor..maybe, but I still wouldn't be sure.
And I'm good friends with some of the lads on the 09 squad and I really really don't want to see people dubbing it the Valentines Masacre before it even happens. But it will happen and even though they knew to an extent what they were getting into, I really, really feel for them.
This is all just a sorry mess, I back the players in the way they stand, what they stand for, and their fight against the CB, but I respect Gerald and he was an outstanding player and I know some of the lads on the 09 squad well and I don't like seeing what's happening happen to them.

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on February 08, 2009, 10:47:21 PM
Quote from: Reillers on February 08, 2009, 10:38:06 PM

If he is a noble,honourable,brave GAA man which I am sure he is by the way, why does he not resign his post if the CB are so full of cowards, no gooders, submissive individuals who have a pathological hatred of the strikers ?
I have explained and explained this, it has been discussed over and over again and yet you continue to ask the question. Why? Why do you basically ask the same question over and over and over again.

orangeman

Ach come on Reillers just expalin it - I obviously missed it last time around - sorry.

Reillers - if Gerald resigns or is sacked in the next week or two, is it your understanding that the entire 2008 panel will abandon their strike action and that all of them will rejoin the 2009 panel under a new manager ??

You have spoken about how Donal Og should walk away - might others join him ?

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on February 08, 2009, 10:58:08 PM
Ach come on Reillers just expalin it - I obviously missed it last time around - sorry.

Reillers - if Gerald resigns or is sacked in the next week or two, is it your understanding that the entire 2008 panel will abandon their strike action and that all of them will rejoin the 2009 panel under a new manager ??

You have spoken about how Donal Og should walk away - might others join him ?

We've discussed it till we're blue in the face, it'll be on every 5th page I'd say.

I presume the players will return but I don't know to be honest. The CB NEEDS desperatley to change, if Gerald goes does that mean the CB have changed.
I presume they'll go back, they desperatley want to, so I presume so.

orangeman

I personally can't see any of the strikers walking away and will return under a new manager. Seeing the strikers come back and Mc Carthy going would be seem to be slightly perverse.

Reillers

I'd facny Donal O Grady to take the job again. A rumour I heard. (no doubt it's untrue and unlikely I'd say, no manager who works with the CB before wants to come back, ask poor Justin McCarthy, and there's no way in hell that FM would leave him back in.) But still, now that would be interesting.