McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Part of the GPA's confrontational capacity would come from,IMO, person(s) who are involved in this strike. Like I said I don't think for one second they're involved in a GPA capacity though...

To be honest, IMO, they didn't start this and from what I have seen thus far haven't fuelled it. It's the individuals themselves so the GPA's role is to me a red herring in the whole thing.

The GAA

Quote from: dowling on February 06, 2009, 03:04:50 PM
Quote from: The GAA on February 06, 2009, 01:52:11 PM

I can only assume that you are concluding that because farrell said they are available for advice, what else would a players union do, that they are orchestrating the situation?

Hell of a jump there but not surprising for you.

"If the Cork hurlers said they wanted us to become more involved then obviously we'd talk about it,..."
Dessie again in another part of his statement.
Note the "more involved" GAA. But then maybe Dessie hasn't a clue. You can always set him right there.

eh, you are aware that you just contradicted your own argument?

obviously from farrells statement the GPA are not involved in any meaningful way, given that they are willing to get more involved if they are asked to

johnneycool

Quote from: The GAA on February 06, 2009, 03:24:42 PM
Quote from: dowling on February 06, 2009, 03:04:50 PM
Quote from: The GAA on February 06, 2009, 01:52:11 PM

I can only assume that you are concluding that because farrell said they are available for advice, what else would a players union do, that they are orchestrating the situation?

Hell of a jump there but not surprising for you.

"If the Cork hurlers said they wanted us to become more involved then obviously we'd talk about it,..."
Note the "more involved" GAA. But then maybe Dessie hasn't a clue. You can always set him right there.

eh, you are aware that you just contradicted your own argument?

obviously from farrells statement the GPA are not involved in any meaningful way, given that they are willing to get more involved if they are asked to

Donal O'G is a cute enough hoor, he'd not need any expertise from Dessie when it comes to PR or the likes

The GAA

I'm basing my assertion of the GPA's non involvement on the knowledge that Donal and Dessie wouldn't be on the best of terms. Dessie would likely get a thanks but no thanks if he tried getting involved.

stevetharlear

Quote from: rrhf on February 06, 2009, 10:56:40 AM
I know Ive been hard on the Cork hurdles before now, and Im ready to lose interest on them,  but I think if reillers or zulu could answer me the following question Ill gladly set down my guns.
Will Donal Og insist on being carried to the soapbox in Emmet Stree tomorrow or will he walk himself? 

Wow, you sound like a big hitter, set down your guns... someone stop him.

Corcaigh Abú, GPA Abú, Rebels Abú.

dowling

So what are you saying GAA or what am I to assume your saying or what are you saying you assume; that the GPA is involved, not involved or involved but not in a meaningful way?

The GAA

Reillers

Quote from: cicfada on February 06, 2009, 02:33:07 PM
I really regard this threat to strike as an empty threat. They know that breaking the arbitration agreement would be perceived badly, at the end of the day this has nothing to do with the footballers and therefore they have no grounds for striking! The footballers expect this to be sorted out by the end of the League which I think it will be! Mc Carthy will be gone by then as the public won't stand for the hammerings coming! I look forward to all those  marchers who are not GAA members,  joining their local clubs, I am sure that their clubs could do with the membership dues!   The footballers don't expect to have to strike at all really. Says more about their "bottle"  really that they are not striking now, then again they know that they would lose Conor Counihan if they did so it's about the only thing they could do in the circumstances!

At the start it wasn't really about the footballers themselves, but at the end of the day, now, it is a lot to do with them. They will suffer massively be it this season, next season or two years from now from another CB decision, they realise that now is the time to act if they have to.
They do not want to come into this, and I guarantee you that they have their fingers and toes crossed that they aren't needed to fullfill their promise.
But if it's not fixed by then then it is needed for them to come in because that means there was no means of discussion or sollution found by the CB.
The footballers have experienced the CB first hand year in year out over and over again and they are awful (FM) to work with. The difference between them and the hurlers, there are two.

One there is a football public in Cork, a big one, but most Cork fans are hurling fans first, if asked would they rather win an AI hurling final or football final the likelyhood is that hurling would be the answer most of the time. They don't have the massive profile that the hurlers have, and I doubt very much that they would have won the last battle without the hurlers coming on board. They came in to back them and were made (no doubt by people like OM, Indianna..etc. the media readers and believers) to look as the leaders. While all that happened was that they came to back them, they realised that what they were fighting could be just as relevant to them down the line and low and behold here we are one year later same problem. So the footballers will no that if they do nothing, and the hurlers loose and disband, they could well be in another situation like that in a year or two down the line, the problem wont have been solved, the CB will just have more and more power and they'll be on their own.

The footballers aren't as despised as the hurlers, they've been fighting battles with the CB for years and the CB hate them with a passion, this is their dream, what's happening now, no one is enjoying this more then Frank Murphy. I can't actually describe how much he's probably enjoying it. He got a good kick out of it till the hurlers started fighting back.
And he will pray that the march on Saturday is ruined by weather and that some how the young lads beat Dublin because that would stop it for a while. He's a kick out of being on the winning side and having that power he wants more then anything, something he'd exchange all the titles won in this county for.
By Sunday night I would love for nothing more to see him squirming under the spotlight.

A big crowd at the march, a big loss by Dublin (which isn't want I want to see happen, I know some of the lads on that team and I don't want to see them destroyed but IF it happens,) the threat of Cork footballers striking and the ever growing support for the hurlers, just might do it.
That might just be too much pressure for FM..of course he could always turn around after that and say..No comment.

But either way a hell of a lot rides on this weekend, there's never been so much depending on a League game for Cork.
This weekend will tell a lot.

Reillers

Quote from: dowling on February 06, 2009, 03:55:50 PM
So what are you saying GAA or what am I to assume your saying or what are you saying you assume; that the GPA is involved, not involved or involved but not in a meaningful way?

You are one of the most paranoid people I've ever come across. What next, you see a GPA memeber buying a globe, so lets all jump to ridiculous conlcusions that they most be wanting to take over the world.
There is zero proof, nothing at all to link the GPA to this besides the fact that some of the Cork panel are members of the GPA. The GPA have not gone near this, and I doubt they will, even with a six ft pole.

It's not their fight and the Cork lads don't need the added pressure of fighting for the GPA and the IC team.

But really you are basing your paranoia and conspiracy theories on nothing, no proof, no facts.

..and I thought I was paranoid.

orangeman

Fair play to you Reillers - you're passionate about Cork - respect to you ! And I mean that, even if you say us mortals on the other side don't know a lot - but that much I do know.

You'll be near the front tomorrow Reillers ?.

orangeman

So Reillers - if Gerald resigns or is sacked or otherwise leaves his post, what then ??

Do the 2008 panel go back again under their preferred manager ?

Should some of them step aside as has been suggested ?

Perhaps some of them were going to retire anyway ?

dowling

Reillers you argue passionately alright and even though you've referred to my posts as bullshit and such I respect you. But Dessie said the GPA were involved. I actually thought when he was quoted you could accept it to be true. Now if Dessie is saying the GPA is involved and you don't believe it what chance have I of convincing you?

imtommygunn

Quote"If the Cork hurlers said they wanted us to become more involved then obviously we'd talk about it,..."

So because of the use of the word more you assume there is some involvement. Are you clutching at straws to scapegoat the GPA?

That they have to become more involved implies to me they are not particularly involved and are far from as involved as they could be. Like I say I think you're scapegoating the GPA here when you don't need to be...

dowling

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 06, 2009, 04:33:04 PM

Quote"If the Cork hurlers said they wanted us to become more involved then obviously we’d talk about it,..."

So because of the use of the word more you assume there is some involvement. Are you clutching at straws to scapegoat the GPA?

That they have to become more involved implies to me they are not particularly involved and are far from as involved as they could be. Like I say I think you're scapegoating the GPA here when you don't need to be...

I'm not assuming anything. Using the term 'more involved' isn't an implication it's an acknowledgement of involvement. I'm not scapegoating anyone and I'm not clutching at straws. What I don't know is the extent of that involvement but going by GPA behaviour over the years I doubt very much if the GPA or the leaders of the 2008 panel are being totally up front about everything.
Would you think the GPA and 2008 panel leaders are being up front about everything?