McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reillers

Quote from: dowling on February 04, 2009, 04:17:36 PM
You're right to be confused Oman and this is part of the problem and what pro posters are missing. Last year's strike resolution benefited the players at the time in that what they went on strike to achieve they did, irrespective of the 'overall settlement'.

The hurlers put themeselves out, backing the footballers (and because of some idiots in the media, they were made look like they were running it,) they went out of their way and backed the footballers because they owed it to them, knowing full well that it could well loose them backing, they did it anyway.

This year the 2008 panel obviously thought it wouldn't be too much bother to repeat the feat and so it was we're not playing under Gerald. But the lie of the land has proved different this year and unlike Teddy Holland Gerald decided to have his say. Not only that a new panel was assembled. Whereas last year the players could say that there was nothing personal with Teddy they couldn't this time and when Gerald decided to have a say in all this the 2008 players' remarks had to become more personalised to defend their position.
Gerald personalised the whole thing, he was the one with the bitchy comments, he made it personal, and kept on doing it and the players who didn't want to make this into a pr match were dragged into a bitchfight, the only problem is that Gerald was an angel in the media's view, despite what he was saying and doing, but the players were shown to be millitant and whinging, even if they were only replying to McCarthy constant whining.

I don't doubt that some of the 2008 panel felt uncomfortable about this though not them all. And then once it wasn't easy to shift Gerald the focus went onto procedures, the county board and primarily onto Frank.

From the very start their problem was with how he was reappointed, and they said they wouldn't play under him because of that. But Gerald made it personal.

Don't forget about the focus of this being for the good of Cork hurling and Cork GAA in particular. And not only has the point of 'attack' changed but so has the intensity.
The problem hasn't changed, it's still there, the only thing was that they didn't think that Gerald would actually stay, hell every man and his dog thought he'd be shafted at the end of the season. They didn't plan to have Gerald bitch at them and lie about them in the media. Has the intensity changed..ya, has the reason for it not at all. The players focus were how he was reappointed, that they wouldn't play under him, they didn't want him but he was reappointed anyway, that was the problem.
All this has been reflected on this board. Now like last year we're faced with a public demonstration which will no doubt be well attended simply because Cork is split down the middle on this.
Down the middle, not really, the pendullam has swung back in the players favour with the fans. There should be a good turn out providing the weather isn't bad, which sometimes dampens these things.
The difference with this demonstration is that there is an open bitterness, there is an open biterness but with the board. because of the prolonged nature which wasn't there last year. Whatever resolution is found, if indeed one is, it's going to be hollow as there's going to be a bitter taste left at the end. Where the 2008 panel has taken this dispute is at loggerheads with their claim to be acting for the good of Cork GAA.
And your unbias self doesn't believe them..did you even watch the press conference? Maybe if some of them had thought a bit more about where this could end up and not be influenced by higher profile players clearly you didn't watch it, what would it take for you to believe them? which of course some must have been then this situation might not have been allowed to get this far. Even if Gerald were to stand down now or be sacked his personal assasination following on from Teddy Holland's, two honourable men, will not bring a close to this. Only the players now pulling back can set the groundwork for closure. I think there would be a lot of happy people in Cork if he was sacked or left, you underestimate the players, cb, their ability to burry things, (it's one of the reasons why things got so explosive, because nothing really was resolved, Holland was sacked the last time, the players went back and the situation was ignored. It's what they do, it's what they have to do with this CB) treat it like it was never there. The players would be back training in the morning if Gerald steped down and the Cb would be off doing what they do best. And the fans would be just as delighted to see them back. We'd all be as happy as larry and two years later another problem would occur and we'd be back here again.
If a knowledgeable Corkman said to me Gerald shouldn't be manager I don't see why I wouldn't accept that. But neither can I accept players becoming the authority on any issue in any county, that's the committee's job and if they are not doing their job, what then? and if the membership think they're doing a bad job but can't make them accountable that's a reflection of a weak membership. Ya it is weak, but no one is willing to anything about it, there is no one solution for this, so what do you suggest the players do?
As for Frank Murphy here's a wee quote from Zulu, one of the pro side who didn't give me shit as a newbie.
"...what I'm trying to say is that although many in Cork want to see the back of Frank, he is also a very capable GAA politician and gives Cork great clout on a national level and despite his faults there probably isn't anyone in Cork who would be even close to being able to replace him as secretary at the moment."
I don't really agree with that..He is an ass of a man who is drunk on power and has been for decades. Will anyone be willing to do his job..no. Is there anyone as sneaky and who gets away with a lot of shit because of being owed favours..no.
But to be honest if I'm pushed I can't really remember anything good he's done for Cork GAA unless he was forced into a situation like he was in 02.

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on February 04, 2009, 05:00:23 PM
But you've blamed FM all along here - seems that FM caused all of this and anything that ever went wrong or might go wrng with Cork GAA in the future, according to you, but the strikers don't want him to resign ??

I have, he's the biggest problem in Cork GAA, he's at the root of everything, but the players aren't stupid enough to look for his resignation, something they wont get. How hard is that to understand.

Even though Gardiner said at the press conference that he had caused every strike ?

He said he had been responsible for the strikes, he also said that the players were responsible in parts.

Something not right here - something just doesn't add up.

....Welcome to Cork politics.

Frank can stay - Gerald must go cos we want to resume our playing careers and the man who one poster said had a pathalogical dislike of the players and who has been blamed by all pro player posters as being the cause of Cork's ills can stay ???

Again..welcome to Cork. The players would probably do backflips down Patricks street if FM left. He HATES the players, the players HATE him. But there's feck all they can do about it..it's been said 100 times why, it's not that hard to understand is it.

So it was never about the good of Cork hurling ( if Frank can stay ) ?

OMG!!

It was never about doing this cos Cork hurling was about to die ?

You would frustrate a man to death with your idiotic questions. How are you not getting this??

Instead it was all about a few lads who just didn't like the manager - so they invented a pile of crap just to get rid of him.

....Did you hit your head and forget everything that's been discussed to death on this topic or are you really that challenged that you can't and don't get this??

Fine - if Gerald goes - so should the strikers.   

imtommygunn

OM after 181 pages of nonsense you finally make some valid points.

It's about the good of cork hurling but FM is a monster who is effectively the cancer of Cork GAA. So if they get rid of Gerald McCarthy and the monster that is Frank Murphy is still there than, aside from short term, that hasn't really been for the good of Cork GAA / Cork hurling has it?

(The FM stuff stems from basically Reillers posts as I know nothing about the man)

Basically the players want to control who their manager is, for the short term, and that's the height of it. They may have heightened awareness that all is not well with the Cork board, or members of the Cork board, but all they have done is raised awareness. Their demands are for themselves.

orangeman

He got Anthony Lynch off 2 years ago - Anthony busted the Kerry player in the Munster final and was sent off and rightly so - the ref put him in for striking - Frank said it wasn't and argues that he hit him with an elbow and as the incorrect wording was used, the bold Anthony got off and played in the replay and Cork duly won.

If you can't see that he has done some good over the years for Cork GAA then you must all be a bundle of cold, heartless, yella c--nts down there seeing as nobody wants to take him on.

But I don't believe for one minute that you are.  Another smokescreen.

orangeman

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 04, 2009, 05:37:21 PM

It's about the good of cork hurling but FM is a monster who is effectively the cancer of Cork GAA. So if they get rid of Gerald McCarthy and the monster that is Frank Murphy is still there than, aside from short term, that hasn't really been for the good of Cork GAA / Cork hurling has it?

(The FM stuff stems from basically Reillers posts as I know nothing about the man)

Basically the players want to control who their manager is, for the short term, and that's the height of it. They may have heightened awareness that all is not well with the Cork board, or members of the Cork board, but all they have done is raised awareness. Their demands are for themselves.

Correct. Despite what all the pro strikers posters have said - all this about FM was one large smokescreen - so we're back to where we started almost - nothing to do with Frank - all this bullshit about Cork hurling dying on its feet because of Frank and Pairc Ui Chaoimh falling down etc etc etc etc  -

It was simply about the strikers wanting to select the manager. It was all about their own selfish end game.

theskull1

Correct
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on February 04, 2009, 05:43:27 PM

Correct. Despite what all the pro strikers posters have said - all this about FM was one large smokescreen - so we're back to where we started almost - nothing to do with Frank - all this bullshit about Cork hurling dying on its feet because of Frank and Pairc Ui Chaoimh falling down etc etc etc etc  -

It was simply about the strikers wanting to select the manager. It was all about their own selfish end game.

For the 100th time....

THEY DO NOT WANT TO PICK THEIR OWN MANAGER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Watch it, what the press conference because I'm done wasting my time, talking till I'm blue in the face because you still do not get it.

http://www.city.ie/south/shows/channel-south-news/

Zulu

Quote from: orangeman on February 04, 2009, 05:43:27 PM

Jesus help me, the players didn't go on strike for the overall good of Cork hurling or the GAA in general but if they are successful then both should benefit by encouraging clubs to take more interest in the running of their county and marking the cards of men like FM and showing them there is a limit to how far they can go. And of course they are looking after their own interests in wanting Gerald gone, in their opinion he is not up to it and they have no chance of success with him in charge sp wanting him gone is perfectly logical.

theskull1

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

orangeman

I don't care how big the letters are but you argued throughout here that FM was the problem.

The players do want to pick the manager. The demands are all about themselves.

Reillers

Quote from: theskull1 on February 04, 2009, 06:06:56 PM
Their demands are for themselves

They want the best manager in place so they can win for Cork. They want to win. Which will beneift the good of Cork hurling. They want to win for Cork..what's wrong with that.

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on February 04, 2009, 06:13:36 PM
I don't care how big the letters are but you argued throughout here that FM was the problem.

The players do want to pick the manager. The demands are all about themselves.
They don't want to pick the manager. I have said it, the players have said it, everyone involved with these players have said it..apparently that isn't good enough for you and your deaf ears.
They want to not only play for Cork but to win, when did that become a bad thing, they don't want to be wasting their time in a horrible ridiculous pointless training session.
Winning for Cork is not just for them but for all the fans and everyone involved in Cork intercounty hurling. Oh how selfish of them.

dowling

There has been a perpeptual row with the players and the board for some years now and you think I underestimate their ability to bury the hatchet? Quite the opposite, they've been burying it in each other without hesitation.
"From the very start their problem was with how he was reappointed, and they said they wouldn't play under him because of that."
Which is the problem? If the procedure was changed would they play for Gerald or if Gerald went would they play irrespective of the procedure? I'm not trying to be petty here Reillers but you can't have it every way. And that's the thing, we all assume the issue for the 2008 panel was Gerald but because he hasn't been shifted it's open season on what the problem is and because the panel didn't see it going this far they have no strategy and are just lashing out hoping others will buy what they say. And if you think this dispute will be easily put to bed you underestimate the damage the 2008 panel have caused.
What about the present panel do they not deserve any credit for stepping into the breech in Cork's time of need? And if they get beat should they not deserve the support of Cork GAA when they pull on the Cork jersey or does Cork GAA only support the jersey when certain people are wearing it.

Zulu

Any player, playing at any level for any team deserves respect and support, yet this is exactly what the CCB have refused to give their players (08 panel). The players don't want to pick the manager, they simply didn't want the man who hadn't worked out the previous 2 years to be reappointed. OM and Skull haven't wavered in their opinion all this time but neither of them have been able to justify why the CB reappointed Gerald, that to me is very telling.