McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

rrhf you've added absolutly nothing to this discussion, since you started posting on this issue recently you've repeatedly referred to the players in an insulting way which only gets the back up of pro-player posters and leads to tit for tat type posting rather than reasonable debate. Not only that but after retracting your ealier posts about the GPA because they were entirely unfounded you are now once again spouting this groundless bullshit.

You don't like the players, we get it, you think they should be 'run out of town' we get that also but unfortunately you fail to address any of the underlying issues involved here. Instead you just post insulting, factless bile which is, it appears, based on an anti-GPA outlook rather than any appreciation of the situation in Cork.

cornafean

Quote from: Zulu on February 04, 2009, 09:34:39 AM
rrhf you've added absolutly nothing to this discussion, since you started posting on this issue recently you've repeatedly referred to the players in an insulting way which only gets the back up of pro-player posters and leads to tit for tat type posting rather than reasonable debate

....you are now once again spouting this groundless bullshit.

;D ;D ;D
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

rrhf

Zulu, its hardly a discussion when you dont address the issues son.
The love your county campaign is one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen.  It attempts to confuse the very real issue of players striking, huffing, replacing it with all the imagery of passion and emotion and the poetry of loving ones county.  Not one supporter, not one official is included in the love of the county campaign - just the players.   It really is synonymous with a heads up arses grip of reality. These GPA guys cant be let win in Cork or in any county.

Zulu

What issues are not being addressed, this debate has gone on for well over a hundred pages so I'm fairly confident that everything has in fact been done to death at this stage but if there is something you need clarification on I'll give you my take on it.

cornafean

Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

johnneycool

Quote from: Reillers on February 03, 2009, 11:11:00 PM
Quote from: theskull1 on February 03, 2009, 11:05:33 PM
But FM is the real target now? Unless he goes the strikers will not be back? Thats right isn't it? I'm never quite sure  ???

I pray that there will be plenty who show solidarity with Ger Mac and what he stands for.

Ger Mac is the issue here (is there a massive issue, the main issue being FM, ya, are they looking for him to resign now, no.)  and it's to do with the process in which he was reappointed. Not FM. Is he THE problem in Cork GAA, without a doubt, but the players are not looking for his resignation.

Are you sure, as from the outset Ger Mac is Franks choice, Franks footsoldier, plus other selectors are also Frank men according to the 2008 panel?
I see a softening of approach, an exit strategy for the players and Frank potentially saving face but Ger might need to fall on his sword and that's the bit i can't forsee happening any time soon.

Reillers

Quote from: johnneycool on February 04, 2009, 12:13:31 PM
But FM is the real target now? Unless he goes the strikers will not be back? Thats right isn't it? I'm never quite sure  ???

I pray that there will be plenty who show solidarity with Ger Mac and what he stands for.

Ger Mac is the issue here (is there a massive issue, the main issue being FM, ya, are they looking for him to resign now, no.)  and it's to do with the process in which he was reappointed. Not FM. Is he THE problem in Cork GAA, without a doubt, but the players are not looking for his resignation.

Are you sure, as from the outset Ger Mac is Franks choice, Franks footsoldier, plus other selectors are also Frank men according to the 2008 panel?
I see a softening of approach, an exit strategy for the players and Frank potentially saving face but Ger might need to fall on his sword and that's the bit i can't forsee happening any time soon.

Would every player, fan..etc love to see Frank gone, obviously, are the players going to try and take him down now, I very much doubt it, they don't have that power..I'm not sure anyone does.
But what the players want is Ger Mac gone, it's what they've wanted from day one and that hasn't changed. McCarthy in my view should have left a long time ago, he's not good enough for the job, he knows it, he told the players that he wouldn't come back if the players didn't want him do, but now for him it seems all about ego at this stage.
The players are fighting for something that is greater, they just want to play and WIN for Cork, I'm not sure what the hell McCarthy thinks he can accomplish at this stage.

He's been playing to the media alot, I think it was said that he made 30/40 statments to the press, while the players made something like 8/9.
He's been doing this oh poor me, little violin act, going on about the pride and honour of wearing the jersey, and don't get me wrong there is and should be, but some of the stuff he's saying..lies about the players and turning them into fact with no evidence or proof..it's a joke. And this oh poor me act will not work and the Cork public, who are the most important factor in this, it doesn't matter one bit what someone in Carlow or Kerry or Down think about it, and the Cork fans will not swallow that excuse if were getting trashed by Dublin.
No, it was a great effort, the lads tried their best, some good displays..it wont be excepted.

johnneycool

Quote from: Reillers on February 04, 2009, 01:10:41 PM

Would every player, fan..etc love to see Frank gone, obviously, are the players going to try and take him down now, I very much doubt it, they don't have that power..I'm not sure anyone does.
But what the players want is Ger Mac gone, it's what they've wanted from day one and that hasn't changed. McCarthy in my view should have left a long time ago, he's not good enough for the job, he knows it, he told the players that he wouldn't come back if the players didn't want him do, but now for him it seems all about ego at this stage.
The players are fighting for something that is greater, they just want to play and WIN for Cork, I'm not sure what the hell McCarthy thinks he can accomplish at this stage.

He's been playing to the media alot, I think it was said that he made 30/40 statments to the press, while the players made something like 8/9.
He's been doing this oh poor me, little violin act, going on about the pride and honour of wearing the jersey, and don't get me wrong there is and should be, but some of the stuff he's saying..lies about the players and turning them into fact with no evidence or proof..it's a joke. And this oh poor me act will not work and the Cork public, who are the most important factor in this, it doesn't matter one bit what someone in Carlow or Kerry or Down think about it, and the Cork fans will not swallow that excuse if were getting trashed by Dublin.
No, it was a great effort, the lads tried their best, some good displays..it wont be excepted.

So if Frank agrees to impliment the selection process in spirit as well as rule is it acceptable for Ger McCarthy still to be considered for the job along with any other candidates who wish their name to go forward in the process?

Reillers

Quote from: johnneycool on February 04, 2009, 02:01:13 PM
Quote from: Reillers on February 04, 2009, 01:10:41 PM

So if Frank agrees to impliment the selection process in spirit as well as rule is it acceptable for Ger McCarthy still to be considered for the job along with any other candidates who wish their name to go forward in the process?

They DO NOT want Gerald as manager. It's what they wanted from the start.

orangeman

I'm seriously confused - I thought Frank was the devil and Gerald was only there to his bidding ??

So are you saying now that the strikers will go back after Gerald goes even if Frank is still in place ??

I thought it was all Frank's fault !  :o ??? ???

dowling

You're right to be confused Oman and this is part of the problem and what pro posters are missing. Last year's strike resolution benefited the players at the time in that what they went on strike to achieve they did, irrespective of the 'overall settlement'. This year the 2008 panel obviously thought it wouldn't be too much bother to repeat the feat and so it was we're not playing under Gerald. But the lie of the land has proved different this year and unlike Teddy Holland Gerald decided to have his say. Not only that a new panel was assembled. Whereas last year the players could say that there was nothing personal with Teddy they couldn't this time and when Gerald decided to have a say in all this the 2008 players' remarks had to become more personalised to defend their position. I don't doubt that some of the 2008 panel felt uncomfortable about this though not them all. And then once it wasn't easy to shift Gerald the focus went onto procedures, the county board and primarily onto Frank. Don't forget about the focus of this being for the good of Cork hurling and Cork GAA in particular. And not only has the point of 'attack' changed but so has the intensity. All this has been reflected on this board. Now like last year we're faced with a public demonstration which will no doubt be well attended simply because Cork is split down the middle on this. The difference with this demonstration is that there is an open bitterness because of the prolonged nature which wasn't there last year. Whatever resolution is found, if indeed one is, it's going to be hollow as there's going to be a bitter taste left at the end. Where the 2008 panel has taken this dispute is at loggerheads with their claim to be acting for the good of Cork GAA. Maybe if some of them had thought a bit more about where this could end up and not be influenced by higher profile players which of course some must have been then this situation might not have been allowed to get this far. Even if Gerald were to stand down now or be sacked his personal assasination following on from Teddy Holland's, two honourable men, will not bring a close to this. Only the players now pulling back can set the groundwork for closure.
If a knowledgeable Corkman said to me Gerald shouldn't be manager I don't see why I wouldn't accept that. But neither can I accept players becoming the authority on any issue in any county, that's the committee's job and if the membership think they're doing a bad job but can't make them accountable that's a reflection of a weak membership.
As for Frank Murphy here's a wee quote from Zulu, one of the pro side who didn't give me shit as a newbie.
"...what I'm trying to say is that although many in Cork want to see the back of Frank, he is also a very capable GAA politician and gives Cork great clout on a national level and despite his faults there probably isn't anyone in Cork who would be even close to being able to replace him as secretary at the moment."

orangeman

So it's easier to get rid of Gerald for now and we'll see out our playing careers ?

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on February 04, 2009, 03:01:06 PM
I'm seriously confused - I thought Frank was the devil and Gerald was only there to his bidding ??

So are you saying now that the strikers will go back after Gerald goes even if Frank is still in place ??

I thought it was all Frank's fault !  :o ??? ???

THEY ARE NOT LOOKING FOR FRANK TO RESIGN!!!!

Is Gerald a pawn, yes, but the players will not return until GERALD is gone.
The players aren't looking to get rid of FM. They've said it all ready.

orangeman

But you've blamed FM all along here - seems that FM caused all of this and anything that ever went wrong or might go wrng with Cork GAA in the future, according to you, but the strikers don't want him to resign ??

Even though Gardiner said at the press conference that he had caused every strike ?

Something not right here - something just doesn't add up.

Frank can stay - Gerald must go cos we want to resume our playing careers and the man who one poster said had a pathalogical dislike of the players and who has been blamed by all pro player posters as being the cause of Cork's ills can stay ???

So it was never about the good of Cork hurling ( if Frank can stay ) ?

It was never about doing this cos Cork hurling was about to die ?

Instead it was all about a few lads who just didn't like the manager - so they invented a pile of crap just to get rid of him.

Fine - if Gerald goes - so should the strikers.