Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The GAA

heffo

Quote from: The GAA on January 29, 2009, 02:13:36 PM
Quote from: heffo on January 29, 2009, 02:10:14 PM
Quote from: The GAA on January 29, 2009, 02:07:26 PM
Quote from: heffo on January 29, 2009, 01:34:31 PM
Package = overall financial incentive net sum involved in being a high profile successful player for a leading/high profile county (not confined to Cork) - Sponsored car, commercial sponsorships, all star trips with daily unvouched expenses, promotions in work where your job involves sales/meeting customers

How can you claim that there i an "overal financal package net sum" for playing hurling for cork. that is disingenuous at best. there is nothing for hurling for cork, nor should there be.
These guys are high profile successful players because they have trained hard, are telented and supremely dedicated.
all star trips are available to every single hurler in the country.
commercial sponsorsips are a myth beyond possible 3 or 4 hurlers in the whole nation.

Quote from: heffo on January 29, 2009, 01:34:31 PM
Package = overall financial incentive net sum involved in being a high profile successful player for a leading/high profile county (not confined to Cork) - Sponsored car, commercial sponsorships, all star trips with daily unvouched expenses, promotions in work where your job involves sales/meeting customers

and that quote sums up nicely the resentment and begrudgery towards top players that typifies the tiniest percentile of our association which cannot fathom why their own similar efforts in different sections of the GAA don't receive the same attention.

You've been posting a lot of sense but seem to losing the run of yourself now. Did you read my post?

"Package = overall financial incentive net sum involved in being a high profile successful player for a leading/high profile county (not confined to Cork)" - what I've posted is an undeniable fact - it's not confined to Cork

My argument is that this stuff is irrelevent and a smoke screen to create an impression that there is some sort of financial incentive behind this strike.

It wasn't my intention to cloud the issue and I genuinely don't believe the players are being influenced in their current course of actions by money

heffo

Quote from: The GAA on January 29, 2009, 02:15:38 PM
Quote from: heffo on January 29, 2009, 02:11:01 PM
Quote from: The GAA on January 29, 2009, 02:09:12 PM
Quote from: heffo on January 29, 2009, 02:03:25 PM
If that question was directed at me, it was my understanding that all of the first fifteen had sponsored along with some of the subs..

Not even close

http://www.independent.ie/sport/hurling/cork-have-mastered-art-of-not-losing-131983.html

That is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out of date

it's from two years ago - did the players hand back the cars?

Are you disputing the figures as 'not even close'?

The GAA

Exactly my point.

Why are we wasting our time dicussing this on this thread so?

I believe there are plenty of posters who are happy to peddle just that line

The GAA

Quote from: heffo on January 29, 2009, 02:18:38 PM
Quote from: heffo on January 29, 2009, 02:11:01 PM
Quote from: The GAA on January 29, 2009, 02:09:12 PM
Quote from: heffo on January 29, 2009, 02:03:25 PM
If that question was directed at me, it was my understanding that all of the first fifteen had sponsored along with some of the subs..

Not even close

http://www.independent.ie/sport/hurling/cork-have-mastered-art-of-not-losing-131983.html

it's from two years ago - did the players hand back the cars?

Are you disputing the figures as 'not even close'?

i'm sure that article was accurate at the time but no longer. i'm told there are only a v small number driving them now.

heffo

Quote from: The GAA on January 29, 2009, 02:19:09 PM
Exactly my point.

It was a footnote to my post - Reillers asked what could the players have done apart from go on yet another strike.

Instead of responding to my suggestion, you've decided to nit pick...

theskull1

Yeah but maybe they miss the good ole days when they were winning and want to get back in the driving seat again :)

None of us know what is in the hearts and minds of each individual who is involved in this dispute.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

passedit

Quote from: heffo on January 29, 2009, 02:22:26 PM
Exactly my point.

It was a footnote to my post - Reillers asked what could the players have done apart from go on yet another strike.

Quote from: theskull1 on January 29, 2009, 02:23:13 PM

Yeah but maybe they miss the good ole days when they were winning and want to get back in the driving seat again :)

None of us know what is in the hearts and minds of each individual who is involved in this dispute.

Didn't take long did it.
Don't Panic

theskull1

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

The GAA

Exactly my point.

I don't believe there was a route that the players could have taken that would have resolved this issue without ending up at this place. county board motions, club lobbying, etc would have achieved nothing due to the control that Murphy has. imho this was the assessment of the players at the outset.

heffo

Quote from: The GAA on January 29, 2009, 02:54:40 PM
Exactly my point.

I don't believe there was a route that the players could have taken that would have resolved this issue without ending up at this place. county board motions, club lobbying, etc would have achieved nothing due to the control that Murphy has. imho this was the assessment of the players at the outset.

If thats the case then what is the purpose of their current course of action?

The GAA

Highlighting the both futility of the situation and particularly the cancer that is rotting the GAA in Cork?

heffo

Quote from: The GAA on January 29, 2009, 03:07:03 PM

Highlighting the both futility of the situation and particularly the cancer that is rotting the GAA in Cork?

To what end though? If they don't have the support of the clubs what use is the guy on the street who isn't a GAA member and goes to the odd championship game?

The GAA

Obviously i don't know but the end game as i see it here could possibly be furore by the end of the year within clubs. that will certainly demand the end of McCarthy, which Frank will be happy enough to concede to save himself, but i think the players are gambling that the clubs will demand frank's head. a longer version of the scenario you outlined