McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cicfada

Quote from: Reillers on December 23, 2008, 09:44:38 AM
Quote from: cicfada on December 23, 2008, 09:25:54 AM
Again I ask what are the players willing to compromise on?? Will they even compromise on meeting the co board instead of stonewalling even? FFS how can a solution be found if they won't come to meet  the board?  As for the footballers not accepting the medals, tis a small gesture indeed the only gesture that will solidly show their solidarity with the hurlers is to strike themselves and we all know that is NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!

Did you not just read what I just said the footballers (apparently and this source is rarely wrong) are going to come out on strike if nothing happens after Christmas.

Didn't Conor Counihan say he was going  to walk if the footballers went on strike though? Unless he is now backtracking on that?! I mean if he walks wouldn't the footballers be shooting themselves in the foot? I mean they made progress last year under Counihan, now wouldn't all that progress be cast aside. It's not as if the footballers enjoy large support in the county anyway (let's face it, Cork is a hurling county) but what support they have now would be lost then surely?? What I got from the convention was that a lot of delegates were very frustrated and angry  with the co board's inability to move things along, ie to seek a resolution. The co board then outlined their attempts to  contact the hurlers with a view to meeting them and the hurlers have not committted to meeeting them! What hope of a solution then.

Reillers

Quote from: Tatler Jack on December 23, 2008, 09:54:34 AM
QuoteDonal Og was only a young lad in 2002, the footballers took up strike in 2006, that had nothing to do with him, the hurlers eventually went out on strike in sympathy, Donal Og is not at the head of this, you can't blame him for everything

Reillers Donal Og was 23 or 24 in 2002 and has been a significant figure in all of the various issues since 2002. So please do not be disingenious and pretend that he is not. I am not blaming him I am pointing out that he is a constant in this equation in the ame way as FM is on the CB side. Donal Og is very strong willed and strong in his beliefs and very much a leader among the players. While admired by many there are also many GAA people in Cork who feel that his confrontational style has not helped and rightly or woringly his close association with the GPA and his stated view that long term the GPA is about pay for play has not helped.

Ya SINCE 2002 but not really in 2002. The majority of the lads now were just kids facing an all mighty decision back then. He is a leader, but so is Sean Og, the twins, Deane, Kenny, Ga..etc. They are all as involved in this as he is. Cork vote by secret ballat all the time, unlike the CB, whatever the result ends up they leave it at that. It is down to each player in what they do and if you honestly believe that Donal Og has lad more then 200 players on strike then you really are just looking for a fight. He wasn't leading the show in 2002, he had nothing to do with the footballers striking twice, they went on a sympathy strike in 06 as payback to the footballers which was just that, support, it wasn't a hell bent strike..etc.
He is one of the most hated/loved players in the country, whether ye agree or disagree with his stance in the GPA, at the end end of the day, he wants the best for players from every county and that's what he's doing in the GPA.

Reillers

Quote from: cicfada on December 23, 2008, 10:06:25 AM
Quote from: Reillers on December 23, 2008, 09:44:38 AM
Quote from: cicfada on December 23, 2008, 09:25:54 AM
Again I ask what are the players willing to compromise on?? Will they even compromise on meeting the co board instead of stonewalling even? FFS how can a solution be found if they won't come to meet  the board?  As for the footballers not accepting the medals, tis a small gesture indeed the only gesture that will solidly show their solidarity with the hurlers is to strike themselves and we all know that is NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!

Did you not just read what I just said the footballers (apparently and this source is rarely wrong) are going to come out on strike if nothing happens after Christmas.

Didn't Conor Counihan say he was going  to walk if the footballers went on strike though? Unless he is now backtracking on that?! I mean if he walks wouldn't the footballers be shooting themselves in the foot? I mean they made progress last year under Counihan, now wouldn't all that progress be cast aside. It's not as if the footballers enjoy large support in the county anyway (let's face it, Cork is a hurling county) but what support they have now would be lost then surely?? What I got from the convention was that a lot of delegates were very frustrated and angry  with the co board's inability to move things along, ie to seek a resolution. The co board then outlined their attempts to  contact the hurlers with a view to meeting them and the hurlers have not committted to meeeting them! What hope of a solution then.

Ya he did..the hurlers have taken enough bullets for the footballers over the years. The 2007 strike was the footballers strike, all the hurlers were doing was in sympathy as payback for 2002..but the footballers sat back and let the hurlers run it, let the hurlers take the grief. The hurlers could have done nothing, they wouldn't be getting half the grief they're getting now if they didn't, they knew that was a risk at the start but they came out on sympathy strike anyway.
That's the only thing that I'd question about what I'm hearing, they don't want to loose their manager.
But it's about time they did sometihng. I don't want them to join this mess, it'll only make things worse, but the hurlers have done a lot for them over the years, they're the ones who took the mass grief and ciriticism in 2007 which wasn't fair. Technically they are even 2002/2007, but it's about time they at least made a gesture. The CB is there problem as much as the hurlers.
The CB made an attempt to meet with the players..a piss poor one, but it was an attempt, through Ga. But he went off on holidays, and no one has really gotten back to anyone.
But again I ask what is the point of them meeting..it's not going to end the way they want it. i

Reillers

Quote from: heffo on December 23, 2008, 10:03:14 AM
Quote from: Reillers on December 23, 2008, 09:42:38 AM
Quote from: Tatler Jack on December 23, 2008, 07:45:52 AM
QuotePlayers have come on gone..but in total you've had, with all the strikes, with the footballers and hurlers, with their squads added together, and the hurlers who aren't on the squad, the young lads who are refusing to play, you've got, what, about 200 plus people all together, more I'd say, who've gone on strike. Not the same 15 over and over again. Most of these 15 were kids in 2002 and didn't lead it and weren't behind it. When you look at all the players that have come and gone over the last 6 years on both sides, that's a hell of a lot to rebel. But what's the common denomenator in all of this..the CB

There have been changes also at CB level during this period Reillers. And there are a few constants also on both sides notably Frank and Donal Og. Both are strong willed individuals that like total victory.

While agreeing that action is needed I am not sure what the CB can do if the players continue to refuse to meet with them. It seems the players want Ger Mac to resign before any meeting can take place - one would think that the meeting should come first and that the issue to discuss would be Ger Mac's position.

The players refuse to meet with them..it's their own fault, the CB have brought this on themselves and they know it. And there's no point at all for the players meeting because what they want isn't going to be given to them, the Cb wont make comprimises, at the end of the day what's a meeting going to do cause they're not going to fire Gerald.

I'm completely confused Reillers.

You were 100% insistent that the 2008 panel had walked away and effectively retired - you were 100% adamant that they were not on strike.

Now you're not only saying that they're effectively on strike, but that they have no interest in meeting with the other party to resolve the dispute and that they're going to allow the footballers to join them. I'm pretty sure that Conor Counihan is on the record as saying that he'll walk away if the footballers go on strike..

I didn't say they were on stirke did I, no it's not a strike, the footballers would be on strike but the hurlers have walked away..if that makes any sense..my bad use of words, they've walked away and are refusing to play, same end result.
It's not a strike, don't take my bad use of words as anything other then that.
They currently wont meet with the board, but why should they, what are the players going to get from it..nothing.
Ya he said that, I suppose it's wait and see what happens.

Tatler Jack

Quoteyou really are just looking for a fight

No Reillers I am not looking for a fight, there is enough fighting already. I am just pointing out that Donal Og is one of the main leaders among the players in this whole episode of players v CB since 2002. I happen to believe that he is sincere in his views and thinks that what he doing is for the good of Cork hurling in the future. I also happen to believe that he is not always right and that players alone do not have a monopoly on the wisdom of what is good for Cork. One of the problems with people who are very committed to a cause is that they are unable to see another point of view. Donal Og and a few of the players fall in to this category and I think you are also like that Reillers - sincere, dedicated to a cause but blind to the shortcomings of the side you support. And in case you think I am supporting the CB I am not and it is a sad reflection of their management style that player/CB relations are on such a bad footing. But it takes two to tango and there are issues around where ultimate responsibility for manager selection that must be sorted. The players cannot have a contradictory position i.e. saying they do not want to be involved and yet striking any time something is decided on by the democratic process that they do not  like. And if there are problems with the democratic process then it is time to change it via the structures that exist.  It was interesting that there were no motions before convention on changing the method of appointing managers and selectors.

Tatler Jack

QuoteThe CB made an attempt to meet with the players..a piss poor one, but it was an attempt, through Ga. But he went off on holidays, and no one has really gotten back to anyone

That is your opinion Reillers. Bob Ryan outlined at the convention the detailed steps that were taken to try and meet the players and it the players did not respond. As the players have not contradicted his version of events I assume what he said is correct. Other efforts were made by intermediaries to have a meeting between players, CB and ger Mac and the players have refused to meet. I cannot understand this - how do they hope to solve the problem if there is no meeting. Do they really expect that Ger will step down and then it is business as usual.

By the way Reillers this is a strike.

cicfada

If this is not a strike, ie if the players are walking away why don't they do that...just walk away!These photos of them every time they are in  Mallow smacks of people desperate to be in the limelight still. There wouldn't be many businesses lining up for them if they did walk away in earnest, would there? if they did walk away why the heck did Adidas sponsor a kit  for them? why are the heck are they training still if they walked away!? Be honest and admit you are striking, despite the promise not to! And as regards "why they should meet the board"?? to try and solve  the situation that's why? To give the impression that maybe they want an out  as much as anyone. To give the impression that they are not militant and completely closed to compromise that's why!  It's no wonder the co board are seen as the only people trying to seek a solution with that attitude! Talk about PR stupidity!!

realrebel

reillers
u are making such a fuss bout the footballers going out with the hurlers
all they are doing is not going to a presentation thats all
they wont be going out on strike with the hurlers
i heard that a member of the panel was contacted by a garage who gave him a courtesy car for the last few years, they rang him and wanted it back as he is not on the cork team this year, and he refuses to give the car back
the fecking cheek of him
that says it all bout them really

orangeman

Quote from: Reillers on December 23, 2008, 01:44:50 AM
Quote from: orangeman on December 23, 2008, 12:31:57 AM
Right so - my point is that the players were happy with Gerald until thwy ran into one of the best teams of all time - the Cats - then they decided it was Gerald's fault.

NO they were unhappy with him before hand, afterwards as well. Celebrating a win with the manager doesn't mean they were happy. Clearly the evidence shows that. It's been well documented from the start that the players were unhappy with him. You say you've no problem with the players and no bias at all..please, look at what you are doing.

They were NEVER happy with him, they were going to pull for that McCarthy be gotten rid of as well in the 2006 strike with the footballers but they decided to leave him finish his 2 years, that it's only fair and that they all thought, like we all did that there was no way in hell that he'd get offered the job again..but..here we are.

They were never happy with him, ever, shaking his head afterwards doesn't mean anything, you are just nitpicking.

This says a lot about the players - they were unhappy with Mc Carthy before hand - but did nothing about it - you're now saying they were unhappy even when they were winning - and were unhappy afterwards.

I know they'd love to win the AI - But would they EVER be happy ???.

The ringleaders seem to want total control - they want to be ruling the roost, with the power to get rid of all and sundry.

I'm afraid that's not going to happen.

heffo

Quote from: Reillers on December 23, 2008, 10:21:11 AM
Quote from: heffo on December 23, 2008, 10:03:14 AM
Quote from: Reillers on December 23, 2008, 09:42:38 AM
Quote from: Tatler Jack on December 23, 2008, 07:45:52 AM
QuotePlayers have come on gone..but in total you've had, with all the strikes, with the footballers and hurlers, with their squads added together, and the hurlers who aren't on the squad, the young lads who are refusing to play, you've got, what, about 200 plus people all together, more I'd say, who've gone on strike. Not the same 15 over and over again. Most of these 15 were kids in 2002 and didn't lead it and weren't behind it. When you look at all the players that have come and gone over the last 6 years on both sides, that's a hell of a lot to rebel. But what's the common denomenator in all of this..the CB

There have been changes also at CB level during this period Reillers. And there are a few constants also on both sides notably Frank and Donal Og. Both are strong willed individuals that like total victory.

While agreeing that action is needed I am not sure what the CB can do if the players continue to refuse to meet with them. It seems the players want Ger Mac to resign before any meeting can take place - one would think that the meeting should come first and that the issue to discuss would be Ger Mac's position.

The players refuse to meet with them..it's their own fault, the CB have brought this on themselves and they know it. And there's no point at all for the players meeting because what they want isn't going to be given to them, the Cb wont make comprimises, at the end of the day what's a meeting going to do cause they're not going to fire Gerald.

I'm completely confused Reillers.

You were 100% insistent that the 2008 panel had walked away and effectively retired - you were 100% adamant that they were not on strike.

Now you're not only saying that they're effectively on strike, but that they have no interest in meeting with the other party to resolve the dispute and that they're going to allow the footballers to join them. I'm pretty sure that Conor Counihan is on the record as saying that he'll walk away if the footballers go on strike..

It's not a strike, don't take my bad use of words as anything other then that.
They currently wont meet with the board, but why should they, what are the players going to get from it..nothing.

Definition of strike: A work or provision of services stoppage undertaken in support of a bargaining position or in protest of some aspect of a previous agreement or proposed agreement between labor and management.

Tell me again it's not a strike...

orangeman

Quote from: realrebel on December 23, 2008, 02:00:29 PM
reillers
u are making such a fuss bout the footballers going out with the hurlers
all they are doing is not going to a presentation thats all
they wont be going out on strike with the hurlers
i heard that a member of the panel was contacted by a garage who gave him a courtesy car for the last few years, they rang him and wanted it back as he is not on the cork team this year, and he refuses to give the car backthe fecking cheek of him
that says it all bout them really

Apparently the hurlers are not well looked after at all. A courtesy car - you must be joking !!!.

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on December 23, 2008, 02:09:03 PM
Right so - my point is that the players were happy with Gerald until thwy ran into one of the best teams of all time - the Cats - then they decided it was Gerald's fault.

NO they were unhappy with him before hand, afterwards as well. Celebrating a win with the manager doesn't mean they were happy. Clearly the evidence shows that. It's been well documented from the start that the players were unhappy with him. You say you've no problem with the players and no bias at all..please, look at what you are doing.

They were NEVER happy with him, they were going to pull for that McCarthy be gotten rid of as well in the 2006 strike with the footballers but they decided to leave him finish his 2 years, that it's only fair and that they all thought, like we all did that there was no way in hell that he'd get offered the job again..but..here we are.

They were never happy with him, ever, shaking his head afterwards doesn't mean anything, you are just nitpicking.

This says a lot about the players - they were unhappy with Mc Carthy before hand - but did nothing about it - you're now saying they were unhappy even when they were winning - and were unhappy afterwards.

The ringleaders seem to want total control - they want to be ruling the roost, with the power to get rid of all and sundry.

McCarthy was given TWO years. They gave him a chance, they gave him the seasons which McCarthy was entitled to, they were going to do something about it in 2007 strike but they said he deserved a chance to do it in the two years.

They didn't want him as manager at the start but when he was manager they gave it their all on the pitch, but even when they were winning the training was still crap, and they were unhappy with that.

The "ringleaders" don't want control they want the best for Cork. You say you've no problem with the players, look at your posts and say that again. 

orangeman

Quote from: Reillers on December 23, 2008, 03:39:41 PM
Quote from: orangeman on December 23, 2008, 02:09:03 PM

McCarthy was given TWO years. They gave him a chance, they gave him the seasons which McCarthy was entitled to, they were going to do something about it in 2007 strike but they said he deserved a chance to do it in the two years.

They didn't want him as manager at the start but when he was manager they gave it their all on the pitch, but even when they were winning the training was still crap, and they were unhappy with that.

The "ringleaders" don't want control they want the best for Cork. You say you've no problem with the players, look at your posts and say that again. 

You keep repeatin that the players only want what is best - do you mean they only want what is best for themselves ??? Courtesy cars etc - will they all have to be left back if they're not on the panel ?? Not a bad auld perk, having a company car.

I also believe that the youngers lads are now being unduly influenced by the ringleaders - you keep insisting that Frank tells the county board delegates what way to vote - can I suggest to you therefore that the ringleaders are also telling the younger lads what way to vote ?. Or is that something they wouldn't do, given that they only want what is best !.

orangeman

RTE WEBSITE

The Cork County Board looks set for another confrontation with the senior county players after the footballers announced their intention to boycott the presentation of Munster Championship medals.

The footballers were due to be awarded the medals at a function which was to be held at the end of the month.

However, they have written to the county board informing them of their decision in a move that will be interpreted as a display of solidarity with the senior county hurlers, who are refusing to play under manager Gerald McCarthy.

realrebel

i wouldnt be too worried bout the footballers missing the presentation sure didnt they miss last years too
everyone thinks the footballers are going on strike with the hurlers they are not
if they were they would have said something in their statement
all they said was they werent going to the presenatation
big fecking deal