Do we need an Election Now?

Started by Zapatista, October 22, 2008, 01:48:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should we have an election now?

Yes
No
Don't care

Bogball XV

Heard Lenno talking this morning, he stated that he won't be resigning as he is competent and has been working really hard since August to rectify the banking situation, now I thought he was appointed in May/June was he not??

I don't care if there is an election or not, as imo party loyalties should be forgotten about in the dail, we need a national government and allied to that we could do with input from the many economic commentators who are wheeled out on every current affairs show (if nothing else it might shut them up for a while - did anyone else know we had so many economists??).  Unfortunately the arrogance of our politicians won't allow that, so instead we're being run by the holy trinity of the trainee solicitor, the non-practising barrister and the social worker.

FermGael

To be fair lads would it not now  be time for A National governement comprised of all sectors of the poltical spectrum??

No one party can deal with this issue.  It is just to serious and huge.

Every poltical party knows what has to be done but have they the balls to to it??

Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Bogball XV

It's good to see how our TD's are currently behaving, Roisin Sorthall and Tommy Broughan of Labour have been removed from the Dail, and votes have been taken to exclude them.
Shortall's crime was to suggest that Ceann Comhairle was protecting Lenno when he refused to answer some questions put to him by Joan Burton about the ILP to Anglo loan.
Broughan wanted to question Coughlan about the job losses in SR Technics.

Afaik both FF and The Greens voted to have the deputies excluded.

Looks like the national govt is a definite runner then!

muppet

Quote from: Bogball XV on February 12, 2009, 11:14:45 AM
Heard Lenno talking this morning, he stated that he won't be resigning as he is competent and has been working really hard since August to rectify the banking situation, now I thought he was appointed in May/June was he not??

I don't care if there is an election or not, as imo party loyalties should be forgotten about in the dail, we need a national government and allied to that we could do with input from the many economic commentators who are wheeled out on every current affairs show (if nothing else it might shut them up for a while - did anyone else know we had so many economists??).  Unfortunately the arrogance of our politicians won't allow that, so instead we're being run by the holy trinity of the trainee solicitor, the non-practising barrister and the social worker.

Hmmm...maybe he should try less hard.
MWWSI 2017

muppet

Stole this idea from another site

To lighten the mood here are some quotes from the superb Yes Minister/Prime Minister:

Sir Humphrey Appleby: Prime Minister, in government, a clarification is not to make things clear. It's to *put* oneself in the clear.

Sir Humphrey Appleby: Politicians like to panic. They need activity; it's their substitute for achievement!  

Sir Humphrey Appleby:
Surveillance is an indispensable weapon in the battle against organized crime.
James Hacker: You're not describing politicians as organized crime?
Sir Humphrey Appleby: No... well, disorganized crime too of course.

Sir Humphrey Appleby:
We really have to get the minister to climb up the flagpole and nail his trousers to the mast.
Bernard Woolley: Don't you mean nail the flag to the mast?
Sir Humphrey Appleby: No, nail his trousers to the mast, Bernard. That way he can't climb down again.

Sir Humphrey Appleby: Bernard, Ministers should never know more than they need to know. Then they can't tell anyone. Like secret agents, they could be captured and tortured.
Bernard Woolley: You mean by terrorists?
Sir Humphrey Appleby: By the BBC, Bernard.

James Hacker: Elbows: the most important weapon in a politician's army.
Annie Hacker: Other than integrity!
James Hacker: Integrity?
[bursts out laughing]

James Hacker: So when this next comes up at Question Time, you want me to tell Parliament that it's their fault that the Civil Service is too big?
Sir Humphrey Appleby: But it is the truth, Minister.
James Hacker: I don't want the truth. I want something I can tell Parliament!

MWWSI 2017

shay

i will vote for the party that promises to,rduce the numbe of tds to 100,abolish the senate,and cut their salariesby 50%.

Zapatista

Quote from: shay on February 13, 2009, 01:29:49 AM
i will vote for the party that promises to,rduce the numbe of tds to 100,abolish the senate,and cut their salariesby 50%.

Just recieved this in an email.

While unemployment rises – have a look at what your politicians get

In 1998 Fianna Fáil introduced a law enabling politicians to claim more expenses. Charlie McCreevy said "I will not apologise for this and neither should any other member of the Dáil". He needn't have worried. The only political party to object was Sinn Féin.
Fianna Fáil, Fine Gael, Labour, Greens and PDs all supported the new expenses outlined below. Sinn Féin opposed them when they were introduced, we still oppose them now.

Average TD Salary               €110,000
TD General Expenses               €  67,600
TD Secretarial Services                            €  98,500
Committee Chair Expenses            €  20,023
Committee Vice-Chair Expenses                         €  10,241
Sub-committee Chair Expenses                         €   6,380
Committee Whip Expensese            €   6,380
Opposition Party Whip                            €  19,058
'Walk around' Expenses   No receipt necessary                   €   5,500
Subsistence Allowance   No receipt necessary                                   €   61 minimum per day
Overnight Allowance      No receipt necessary        €  145 minimum per day
Constituency Travel Allowance    Upto:                      €    8,782
Once off Constituency Office Set up Grant                      €    8,888
Annual Constituency Office Maintenance Grant                    €  17,776
Telephone Bill          Upto:      €    6,348
Postage            Upto:      €  11,550
Mobile Phone Insurance            €       500

Other perks include:
•   Free phone in Leinster House
•   Free mobile phone and car kit every 18 months
•   Ministers get higher salary, expenses, 100% tax relief on second home in Dublin and €6,350 pre year to maintain this home.

In total TDs cost you €45.82 million per year. Senators cost a further €10.34 million per year. These figures do not include pensions for retired TDs and Senators.

So if you have lost your job or have been forced to take a wage cut, when politicians come asking for your vote remind them of these figures and the fact that Sinn Féin are the only party in the Dáil who oppose them.