Do we need an Election Now?

Started by Zapatista, October 22, 2008, 01:48:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should we have an election now?

Yes
No
Don't care

Declan

People had the opportunity to vote last year and as a result FF remain in government and look like remaining there as long as the Greens and Independents continue to support them. So unless there is a change of heart from the junior partners I can't see an election any time soon.

Hardy

But the greens will be destroyed in the next election, partly because FF have given them what they wanted and they find themselves responsible for every environmental bad news story that comes up and partly because nobody wants a bunch of flakes in charge of the country at a time like this.

Then again, speaking of flakes - Inda Kinny. Lord help us. It's like finding yourself being attacked by the Russian army and all you have is three lads in sandals and beads and a shop window dummy. Oh - and a limp-wristed hairdresser in case anyone needs a blow dry. I said dry.

Silky

We need a Govt with the balls to take on the vested interests in the public sector, mainly the trade unions. If we cant get our costs down quickly most industry will be away to the Far East & India before the next election.

FF have 4 years to the next election. They should work on the assumption that they will lose it and start doing the right things for the good of the nation. If they announce that publicly and start taking the hard decisions we have a chance. And so do they. In 4 years time we could looking back saying "Jesus that was rough but thank God we had strong leaders who got us through it." FF could actually win the next election.

Billys Boots

The economy needs stimulus packages and what do we get, a net differential of 3% VAT gain for the only competition our retail sector has, in the run-up to Christmas.  How anyone believes the current cabinet is capable of working our (builders aside) way out of this recession, is beyond me.  No matter how bad the opposition is, they've got to be better, or given the opportunity to demonstrate, irrevocably, that they're not.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

muppet

Well what do people think now? Any different?
MWWSI 2017

Pangurban

I did not hear any of you screaming or shouting stop, when the whole country, yourselves included no doubt, were having a party and enjoying a spending spree on funny money. While all you could hear were people boasting about the hyped over-inflated values of their homes, their foreign holidays etc. Not much concern for the poor, the sick, the handicapped et al being expressed then. As the rich got richer and the poor poorer, and the middle classes thrived, all the talk was of the Economy. No mention of society, social responsibility or morality then. You are all now reaping what you sowed. A change of Government will not make one whit of difference. What is desperately needed is a change of mind-sets, attitude and culture, but a generation that was reared on the myth that the economy is everything, will  prove incapable of understanding, or effecting the needed changes. You have destroyed not only your own future but your childrens. Maybe the next generation will have learned the lesson, that, a little Fire which warms you is better than a big Fire which burns you.

muppet

Quote from: Pangurban on February 11, 2009, 08:01:38 PM
I did not hear any of you screaming or shouting stop, when the whole country, yourselves included no doubt, were having a party and enjoying a spending spree on funny money. While all you could hear were people boasting about the hyped over-inflated values of their homes, their foreign holidays etc. Not much concern for the poor, the sick, the handicapped et al being expressed then. As the rich got richer and the poor poorer, and the middle classes thrived, all the talk was of the Economy. No mention of society, social responsibility or morality then. You are all now reaping what you sowed. A change of Government will not make one whit of difference. What is desperately needed is a change of mind-sets, attitude and culture, but a generation that was reared on the myth that the economy is everything, will  prove incapable of understanding, or effecting the needed changes. You have destroyed not only your own future but your childrens. Maybe the next generation will have learned the lesson, that, a little Fire which warms you is better than a big Fire which burns you.

Yea but should we have an election?
MWWSI 2017

muppet

Karl Marx said this in 1867:

Quote"Owners of capital will stimulate the working class to buy more and more expensive goods, houses and technology, pushing them to take more and more expnsive credits, until their debt becomes unbearable. The unpaid debt will lead to bankruptcy of banks, which will have to be nationalised, and the State will have to take the road which will eventually lead to communism."

I blame him.
MWWSI 2017

pintsofguinness

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

muppet

Before anyone runs with that it seems to be an urban myth doing the rounds of websites. Some claim he said no such thing. And if you think about it in 1867 the working class wouldn't have got much from a bank manager would they?
MWWSI 2017

pintsofguinness

ffs muppet I've a dozen people told now.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

muppet

Quote from: pintsofguinness on February 11, 2009, 08:16:49 PM
ffs muppet I've a dozen people told now.

I swallowed it too but then just decided to look it up and it seems unlikely at best, but I don't know for sure
MWWSI 2017

Zapatista

The truth can hurt. Not me though as I will never admit being part of the problem :-X :-X

Quote from: muppet on February 11, 2009, 08:10:51 PM
Karl Marx said this in 1867:

Quote"Owners of capital will stimulate the working class to buy more and more expensive goods, houses and technology, pushing them to take more and more expnsive credits, until their debt becomes unbearable. The unpaid debt will lead to bankruptcy of banks, which will have to be nationalised, and the State will have to take the road which will eventually lead to communism."

I blame him.

Does it make it any less true if he didn't say it? 

stephenite

Seriously, how's the air up there?

Mayo4Sam

Have to say reading thru this i agree with seanie, unbelievably for me, not that i believe for one moment that he'd go out and vote FG!

Getting into gov would prob be a poison chalice at this time, my vote in the next election would go to the party that would make the hard decisions to cut public service spending, and be prepared to let the civil servants, the bus drivers, aerlingus etc works go on work, i'm not on about cutting down on nurses, teachers etc.

Having said that i would prob be in the minority, if the country had to deal with union strikes for the next 4 years it would undoubtably mean the end of the gov even though it would be in the National Interest.

Also another point would be the cost of an election along with the usual pampering to various pressure groups, certainly not good for Ireland Inc.
As Silky said FF should just take a chance that they're losing the next election and run the country like they've nothing to lose
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me