Previous topic - Next topic

do you worshi each week

Yes
22 (37.3%)
No
37 (62.7%)

Total Members Voted: 59

wherefromreferee?

The odd Sunday, about twice a month.  Anniversaries, the odd Holy Day, Easter, Christmas, Wedding and Funerals.  If I dont make it, I say my own prayers.
In your Endo!

Orior

Went regular and was a Minister of the Word for 3 years (longest 3 years of my life). However my church was closed down earlier this year and I have to admit that I dont go as often. On top of that our curate has left too - the strain on a 30 yr old man was just too much.

What I miss the most is checking out the talent.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

J70

Weddings and funerals (nothing to do with religion - its just where most of them are held)

Maguire01

Not since i was old enough to make my own decision. Even when i did go, it was always noticable that most people paid as much attention as i did - and that's before all the 'arrive late/leave early' crowd are considered.

Tony Baloney

Don't go. Don't believe in it and in fact find all the bolt-ons created by the Catholic Church e.g. transubstantiation etc. to be even less believable than the Bible as taken straight.

Tubberman

The only times I go to mass anymore would be for funerals or weddings.
I might go at Christmas (but haven't for the past couple of years), mainly to keep the parents happy and because there's a nice atmosphere around the place and you meet people you haven't seen in ages - so, there a few reasons I'd go but religion isn't one of them.

If I had to tick a box for 'faith', I'd be an agnostic.
I still have morals (some of which might be similar to christian beliefs) but I follow them because I think it's the right thing to do, not because of what the bible or one of the popes might have said.   
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Stay goalside of your man

Do the people who go to mass actually believe in god?
Or are they just going because its makes there parents happy.

stew

I never went for years, the father is an avowed athiest and never went near Church in my youth.

As time went on I realized that I had always believed in God, had prayed to God daily and it was wrong of me  not to attend service, I started going and even go on holiday now. I never miss a Sunday now and like Orior we lost our spiritual home recently and have found ourselves joining another parish.

Oh, I missed last Sunday, I was on holiday and showed up to the Church 15 minutes after the service had started, the brother thought it would be funny if he gave me the wrong start time. Clown.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

his holiness nb

Quote from: Stay goalside of your man on October 22, 2008, 01:48:25 PM

I think expecting to sum up all mass goers under one of these two brackets is a bit naive.
Ask me holy bollix

Stay goalside of your man

Quote from: his holiness nb on October 22, 2008, 02:01:40 PM
Quote from: Stay goalside of your man on October 22, 2008, 01:48:25 PM

I think expecting to sum up all mass goers under one of these two brackets is a bit naive.

I think the only valid reason for going to mass is if you believe in God.
Anybody else is going for the wrong reason, and I was suggesting why these people go.

deiseach

I go with my wife to her Church of Ireland services most Sundays. I have a wishy washy belief in God so it suits me perfectly :D

ziggysego

Quote from: Tony Baloney on October 22, 2008, 01:33:16 PM
Don't go. Don't believe in it and in fact find all the bolt-ons created by the Catholic Church e.g. transubstantiation etc. to be even less believable than the Bible as taken straight.

You should watch Kevin Smith's Dogma
Testing Accessibility

fearglasmor

Quote from: Stay goalside of your man on October 22, 2008, 02:09:10 PM

I think the only valid reason for going to mass is if you believe in God.
Anybody else is going for the wrong reason, and I was suggesting why these people go.

I think nothing in life is this black and white.
People have all sorts of reasons for doing all sorts of things.

Personally, I do not believe in a supernatural being that created us in his image.
I do not believe in a life after death.

But I do believe in a lot of the common morality espoused by christianity.
I believe the church can be a focus for good in small rural communities (where I live)

I believe my two kids have some useful lessons to learn from christianity and that they too can make their own minds up about the other aspects of the church in their own good time.

Gnevin

Quote from: ziggysego on October 22, 2008, 11:55:54 AM
Go every Saturday evening as I enjoy my Sunday sleep in. Go to all holy days as well.

Isn't nearly every day a holy day or a day of obligation?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

ziggysego

Quote from: Gnevin on October 22, 2008, 03:44:45 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on October 22, 2008, 11:55:54 AM
Go every Saturday evening as I enjoy my Sunday sleep in. Go to all holy days as well.

Isn't nearly every day a holy day or a day of obligation?

I think we're in ordinary time at the moment.
Testing Accessibility