Previous topic - Next topic

do you worshi each week

Yes
22 (37.3%)
No
37 (62.7%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Harps 21

My faith is very important to me, would go every Sunday, Christmas, Easter, Holy Days, and sometimes during the week too.  It doesn't make me necessarily better than the next person, but I see my faith as something that informs, guides and enlightens me on our journey through this life to the next.  I have also been to Lourdes a number of times as part of a Youth Team.  As I say, I don't think being a believing Catholic makes me a better human being, but what it gives me is a compass, meaning, sense and direction to my life.

The Iceman

I went to Mass a good bit at school in the earlier years.
Went nearly every day at University - we had a great priest at Jordanstown and I got heavily involved in mission work and went to Nicaragua 3 times to build houses and then Lourdes 4 times to assist with the sick in the hospital.  Working with either would give any man hope that God is out there.
Go every weekend now just and would never miss it.  I'm lucky my woman feels the same.

Would consider myself a strong Catholic and there are a lot of young people out there and not so young who have a real passion for their faith and the Church.

I have no problem with people not being religious and wouldn't push it on anyone (my own brother never goes to Mass) but you rarely meet an atheist or someone who doesn't go to Mass who doesn't slag off your religion.

There is my 2p's worth
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

deiseach

Quote from: Gnevin on October 22, 2008, 03:44:45 PM
Isn't nearly every day a holy day or a day of obligation?

No. In fact the RC church trimmed back a few more holy days of obligation in recent years. Corpus Christi, for example, is no longer one.

Fancy Dan

I went to Mass this week for the first time in months. It passed off quickly enough and I found the silent time useful for thinking and picked up bits of what the priest was saying also. I generally go for months without attending and when I go back I have a slightly positive experience of the whole thing and find it kind of worthwhile but not worthwhile enough to go every week. I do believe in some form of God but have little time for religion and cant see the point of the attending a lavish church, that was probably built when ordinary people had little money or food, listening to a man that generally has no idea what modern life is like.

The Church has lost control of the people and therefore has also lost touch with the community. I do think I will attend more frequently as I get older as it gives me some kind of sense of purpose that I cant really define. Not sure if anyone else here has similar feelings towards it. Apathy should be a religion but then again nobody would turn up...

Canalman

Only attend the Church for funerals. Don't even go at Christmas. However I won't slag off the Church under any circumstances and I genuinely respect devout people. Despise the hypocrites though who leave their "Christianity" behind them  at the Church door and who act the maggot all week.
As an ex CBS boy I really respect the  Christian Brothers and their contribution to education in this country.........and I know there was a tiny bad element amongst them. Gave me and my brothers a good schooling for free and I am thankful for that despite what the "official Ireland" line is.

Gnevin

Quote from: deiseach on October 22, 2008, 03:58:21 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on October 22, 2008, 03:44:45 PM
Isn't nearly every day a holy day or a day of obligation?

No. In fact the RC church trimmed back a few more holy days of obligation in recent years. Corpus Christi, for example, is no longer one.

How can you remove days of obligation?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

The Iceman

I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight