The Wire (tv drama)

Started by Main Street, October 18, 2008, 12:35:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cúig huaire

Quote from: Tony Baloney on September 14, 2009, 08:38:21 PM
The cast is littered with ex-cons and po-lice with no previous acting experience. Deacon Williams was a real life 80s drug lord, Snoop did a stretch for murder, Dipasquale was a Baltimore Police Commander etc etc.

Felicia "Snoop" Pearson was born in prison, both her parents were serving time for drug offences. She served 8 years for her part in a murder. Unsurprisingly she is a lesbian.
Donagh, the GAA Board`s Sinn Fein PSNI spokesperson.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Cúig huaire on September 14, 2009, 09:39:38 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on September 14, 2009, 08:38:21 PM
The cast is littered with ex-cons and po-lice with no previous acting experience. Deacon Williams was a real life 80s drug lord, Snoop did a stretch for murder, Dipasquale was a Baltimore Police Commander etc etc.

Felicia "Snoop" Pearson was born in prison, both her parents were serving time for drug offences. She served 8 years for her part in a murder. Unsurprisingly she is a lesbian.
It would be fair to say she didn't get the best start in life then!

Cúig huaire

No, but fair play to her, she has turned her life around.
From her Wiki entry, Pearson runs a youth drama organization Moving Mountains with her former Wire co-star Jamie Hector. She says the aim of Moving Mountains is to "stop youth violence, teach performing arts and help kids who really want to get off the streets and stay out of trouble". Pearson also volunteers as a prison visitor [4] and works on anti-violence and literary campaigns for youths as well as supporting The Stay Strong Foundation.[

Cúig huaire

The Wire is currently on channel 165. I dont know which series it is, but it is one of the early ones that I havent seen yet.

Minder

Cheese was Randys oul fella........Never picked up on them both having the same surname - Wagstaff............

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

deiseach

Bloody hell, just discovered Aidan Gillen is one of us! I'm not sure what an upwardly mobile Baltimore guinea talks like but I'd never have guessed it wasn't like Tommy Carcetti

Rma13

I see there's a new mini series starting on Channel 4 on Wednesday night "Generation Kill" from the creators of "The Wire", has anyone already seen this?  I'm going to check it out to see if it can in any way live up to the classic that is "The Wire"

Minder

Quote from: Rma13 on October 02, 2009, 10:24:41 PM
I see there's a new mini series starting on Channel 4 on Wednesday night "Generation Kill" from the creators of "The Wire", has anyone already seen this?  I'm going to check it out to see if it can in any way live up to the classic that is "The Wire"

Ziggy from series 2 of Wire is in it, supposed to be good but unfair to judge it against the Wire.

Rma13

Yep I'd seen that Ziggy is in it.  Not judging it against "The Wire" will just be interested to see how it compares, something similar to purposely hunting out books by an author I've read & liked.

Jimmy Two Times

Quote from: deiseach on September 20, 2009, 12:50:20 AM
Bloody hell, just discovered Aidan Gillen is one of us! I'm not sure what an upwardly mobile Baltimore guinea talks like but I'd never have guessed it wasn't like Tommy Carcetti

Indeed, young Tommy went from freeing Ireland of the Brits to freeing Baltimore of crime...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiVsUS8rEgI

bennydorano

Aidan Gillen's been around for quite a while, he was the main man in Queer as folk on UK tv  a few years back.

Schkite

Generation Kill is another great show, unfair to compare to the Wire as it's only a 7 episodes long mini-series, but it's top class all the same. By all accounts it's one of the most realistic represtations of war that has been on TV or film, based on the book from a reporter which chronicled his experiences following the marines in Iraq. The actor that played Ziggy has a fairly prominent role, and I think I recognised another face or two in the supporting cast that would have been in the Wire in some small role.

Lady GAA GAA

Generation Kill is very good, no point going into it expecting something Wire-esque because theyre completely different

If you want something half similar to the wire from the same writers then get the corner, 6/7 part miniseries with a few of the same actors from the wire and set in baltimore too. tells the stories of several dope fiends

Main Street

Spiral II (second series)  french tv  cop drama  has been on BBC4  on odd days & late in the evening/night.

Well worth a watch. I just joined in on nr 3 last night. Nr 4 is on Sunday night.

Some of you might get it the replays on the BBC iplayer

Minder