The Wire (tv drama)

Started by Main Street, October 18, 2008, 12:35:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rma13

Absolutely loved this show & can't believe it's actually over!!  I'm probably one of the few posters here without Sky+ so I was watching it the old fashioned way, I had to video it every night & then catch up the next day before the next episode was aired.  Classic show with classic characters, what on earth do I replace it with!! 

Main Street

Homicide - life on the streets   series 1
is as close as you can get.

Rma13

Ta for that Main Street I may indeed have to check that out.

CĂșig huaire

Quote from: Rma13 on September 11, 2009, 08:04:57 PM
Absolutely loved this show & can't believe it's actually over!!  I'm probably one of the few posters here without Sky+ so I was watching it the old fashioned way, I had to video it every night & then catch up the next day before the next episode was aired.  Classic show with classic characters, what on earth do I replace it with!!

I have Sky+ but watched it every night at its scheduled time except for last night when I was glad to be able to record it. I am going to get the box set now to watch the first 2 series and the first half of season 3.
Donagh, the GAA Board`s Sinn Fein PSNI spokesperson.

Rma13

Was just thinking after watching the last episode, it's a long time since Avon & Stringer ruled the corners of Baltimore, ah the good old days! ;)

Mack the finger

Check out homicide - a year on the killing streets.

And the corner - a year in the life of an inner city neighbourhood

Both doorstep sized books but will help with wire related withdrawal symptoms.
You can see where inspiration for a lot of the characters came from.

Tony Baloney

Just finished up watching the last 3 episodes of Season 5 which I had brewing on Sky+ this week. What a show. I can't think of a duff episode in the whole series. Every episode had a purpose in the grand scheme and almost every character was a piece in the jigsaw. Brilliant.

I haven't been on this thread in months and like most others I was so paranoid about spoilers. Back to the West Wing boxset!

Minder

Like Tony Baloney I just finished up tonight, it made the Sopranos look like Coronation Street

Never seen TV like it
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Minder

Hasn't been mentioned here but when the detective Cole "died" he really did die, died of heart attack I think. He was an exec. producer, Robert Colesberry. Wonder where they got the name Cole from......

As for Rawls in the queer bar did anyone else notice grafitti in the bogs in the police station "Rawls sucks dick" in one of the scenes in S5?

Also, did Namonds mother win mother of the year? What an oul cvnt.......

Tony Baloney

I always thought Rawls sexual preference would have arisen in a later storyline.

Main Street

I just took the scene - Rawls in the background at a Gay bar- at face value, a bit of Wire humour.

Schkite

Think Rawls sexuality was just a running joke through the whole series, not something that would have come up in any storyline. Very interesting when watching through a second time, the wee things you pick up. There's Rawls in the bar obviously and the graffiti in the toilet, Landsman has a wee laugh at that! Some of the things he says aswell, like he's overcompensating, "we'd all like to go home and get our dick sucked", and when he's giving out to McNulty, especially at the very start, there's the odd homophobic remark, nothing you'd notice first time round interesting on a second view with the extra knowledge about Rawls.

Rma13

Only back on this thread now, thanks Mack the finger for the additional advice re. my "withdrawal symptoms", I'm coping at the minute but only just!

Minder

Read today that Donnie, the big fella that teamed up with Omar and got killed in Monks condo was a stick up man for years and Omars character is based loosely on him.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Minder on September 14, 2009, 08:33:48 PM
Read today that Donnie, the big fella that teamed up with Omar and got killed in Monks condo was a stick up man for years and Omars character is based loosely on him.

The cast is littered with ex-cons and po-lice with no previous acting experience. Deacon Williams was a real life 80s drug lord, Snoop did a stretch for murder, Dipasquale was a Baltimore Police Commander etc etc.