Laid Off?

Started by Mayo4Sam, October 16, 2008, 07:39:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gerry

sorry to hear that mayo. i am in retail myself the money is  just ok but at least i will have a job for life if i keep my nose clean
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

The Real Laoislad

Have you thought about headin across the pond to London? There should be loads of jobs on the Olympic site?
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Mentalman

Sorry to hear the bad news man. Lots of people taking a serious hosing at the moment. I was first made redundent during the dot con crash years back. Forced into contracting, so basically been self employed ever since. Had a couple of spells out of work in that time too, probably mounting up 6 months altogether. Depends on your family situation but it's a chance to make a change, or as suggested sit this one out somewhere else in the world with a good exchange rate. Saving that, do a course, but definitely keep on the move & active, redundancy can be very demoralising if you let it get into your head, and you can end up losing more than your job.
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

balladmaker

Sorry to hear that Mayo.  Never a nice time to get that news.  Unfortunately I fear it is news that a lot more are going to get in the next months.  The place is fecked.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Mentalman on October 17, 2008, 12:16:21 AM
Sorry to hear the bad news man. Lots of people taking a serious hosing at the moment. I was first made redundent during the dot con crash years back. Forced into contracting, so basically been self employed ever since. Had a couple of spells out of work in that time too, probably mounting up 6 months altogether. Depends on your family situation but it's a chance to make a change, or as suggested sit this one out somewhere else in the world with a good exchange rate. Saving that, do a course, but definitely keep on the move & active, redundancy can be very demoralising if you let it get into your head, and you can end up losing more than your job.

Very good advice mentalman.The main thing is to not start lying in bed all day and not getting up,Its the worse thing you could do.
Get up out of bed and even if a job isn't coming just stay active
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Mentalman

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on October 17, 2008, 12:29:50 AM
Quote from: Mentalman on October 17, 2008, 12:16:21 AM

Very good advice mentalman.The main thing is to not start lying in bed all day and not getting up,Its the worse thing you could do.
Get up out of bed and even if a job isn't coming just stay active

Unfortunately it's something I learned myself the hard way. But sure what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

maddog

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on October 17, 2008, 12:01:49 AM
Have you thought about headin across the pond to London? There should be loads of jobs on the Olympic site?

Word is that the Poles have that sewn up, a few months ago some of the Birmingham lot were for heading down there and couldn't get a look in. Mind you they were probably looking too much money. They would be easier talked to now.

illdecide

Sorry to hear that chief...A mate of mine is heading to Dubai as well so as he was offered a good post there as a QS to work with a large Irish team they have assembled for out there, i think he said he'll be there before Christmas...If you do decide to go give me a shout and i'll give you his contact details...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

the Deel Rover

Quote from: maddog on October 17, 2008, 08:19:55 AM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on October 17, 2008, 12:01:49 AM

Word is that the Poles have that sewn up, a few months ago some of the Birmingham lot were for heading down there and couldn't get a look in. Mind you they were probably looking too much money. They would be easier talked to now.

Sorry to hear that mayo4sam . I'm pricing the plastering of the inside of a house at the moment and the prices i'm getting from some irish lads in unreal they don't seem to wnat to drop their prices at all maybe because their is so little work out there they are trying to make a kill on the houses that they do get.
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

under the bar

If anyone who has no ties could do worse than heading to Alberta Canada.  Huge labour shortages and salaries of st£100k for skilled workers.

Mentalman

Quote from: under the bar on October 17, 2008, 10:13:40 AM
If anyone who has no ties could do worse than heading to Alberta Canada.  Huge labour shortages and salaries of st£100k for skilled workers.

Top country too, absolutely beautiful.

donalmac99

what's the situation regarding visa's etc?

full back

Where did your thread apologising to Donagh go?

Mentalman

Quote from: donalmac99 on October 17, 2008, 11:23:57 AM

Points based system similar to Australia - age, marital status, desirable skills and family connections all feed into an overall score.

donalmac99

Quote from: Mentalman on October 17, 2008, 11:26:36 AM
Quote from: donalmac99 on October 17, 2008, 11:23:57 AM

Points based system similar to Australia - age, marital status, desirable skills and family connections all feed into an overall score.

cheers  :)