Laid Off?

Started by Mayo4Sam, October 16, 2008, 07:39:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo4Sam

This happen to anyone else yet? Got the bad news on Friday last, disaster, no work in construction, looks like Dubai for me.
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

The Real Laoislad

Sorry to hear that mate...Its a f**ker when it happens been there once or twice myself over the years.
Whats happening in Dubai? Is their Irish companies over there?
You'll Never Walk Alone.

ziggysego

Sorry to hear Mayo4Sam.

In my line of business, I'm seeing a lot of people getting laid off and businesses folding.
Testing Accessibility

pintsofguinness

Really sorry to hear that.

Just about keeping my head above water too  :-\

take it as an opportunity to go and enjoy yourself!
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

The Watcher Pat

Yeh tough one sorry..

Work for Jobseekers Allowance myself...

My jobs pretty safe!
There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME

milltown row

just heard from my sister in law that shes been made redundant. in banking. not good. great salary and car all gone. building trades are getting hammered and all the firms that supply them are also letting people go or closing. engineering is still going strong but how long can it last. get into teaching lads its the only way :'(

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quoteengineering is still going strong but how long can it last.

Have a couple of friends in engineering. One got laid off there a couple of weeks back and the other survived but there were a brave few laid off in his firm so I wouldn't say its safe at all.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Tony Baloney

Most sectors are gonna be shaky with construction and it's peripheral industries as always bearing the brunt. As the problem is global a lot of the big multinationals with sites in Ireland may start to consolidate and pull their resource back home. I've been on the receiving end of that scenario before!

Teachers in the north will prob start getting laid off in the next few years when all these schools start to amalgamate. Maybe the threat of the axe might focus their attention a wee bit over the next while!

milltown row

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on October 16, 2008, 08:16:56 PM
Quoteengineering is still going strong but how long can it last.

Have a couple of friends in engineering. One got laid off there a couple of weeks back and the other survived but there were a brave few laid off in his firm so I wouldn't say its safe at all.

engineering firms that export goods seem to be ok. firms that are producing for the local market are getting it tight.

Square Ball

Looks as if this has a long way to go to bottom out. I have a few friends who are self employed, all have reported a drop in their work with one stating that he has two weeks work than thats that, Traditionally painters and decoraters do well at this time of year with people getting ready for Christmas, but this work seems to be drying up as well according to one.
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Square Ball on October 16, 2008, 08:27:48 PM
Looks as if this has a long way to go to bottom out. I have a few friends who are self employed, all have reported a drop in their work with one stating that he has two weeks work than thats that, Traditionally painters and decoraters do well at this time of year with people getting ready for Christmas, but this work seems to be drying up as well according to one.

True in some cases the work isn't there for self employed tradesmen,but in a lot of cases they are just sitting on their holes waiting for the phone to ring for their next job instead of going out and trying to get the work in
You'll Never Walk Alone.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on October 16, 2008, 08:30:45 PM

True in some cases the work isn't there for self employed tradesmen,but in a lot of cases they are just sitting on their holes waiting for the phone to ring for their next job instead of going out and trying to get the work in

Not fair.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: pintsofguinness on October 16, 2008, 08:31:44 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on October 16, 2008, 08:30:45 PM

Not fair.

Why
You'll Never Walk Alone.

pintsofguinness

Because I know a lot struggling and none of them are like you describe.

Square Ball

I disagree as well LL. Most of them advertis in the local papers, do flyers and one has his own web site, which again he advertises, they are very pro active in getting out there and looking for work.
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid