How much would you spend on a wedding present?

Started by pintsofguinness, October 15, 2008, 09:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pintsofguinness

I've been reading this shit on football365
http://forum.football365.com/index.php?t=msg&th=137474&prevloaded=1&&start=0
No need to read it all - Irish boy is getting married expects to get 150 euro on average from his guests - he thinks people should pay for their food by giving the cash as a wedding present and is getting a lot of abuse.  A knob imo but the concerning thing is that a fair few irish posters seem to be jumping in to argue it's reasonable to expect this from wedding guests? It's the done thing in Ireland apparently - news to me!

So how much would you spend or put in an envelope for a wedding present?

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Puckoon

Always been suggested that your gift should at least cover the cost of your meal. I think thats all fine and well - if you can afford it.

I wouldnt be going broke on a wedding present.

An Fear Rua

in england, unless your v close to the couple, its usually about 50 quid per couple. In some cases a lot less, in our case six of her closest mates got together and managed to collect  the grand sum of £80 . Tends to be a lot more generous in Ireland.
Its Grim up North

Minder

A wedding is merely a money making exercise nowadays, nothing more or less.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

gerry

at a wedding last Saturday, put £100 in a card.  the married couple had a small wedding list and wanted cash, hence the 340 guests asked to it.

i suppose if i was getting married again (perish the though) i  ask a few hundred, sure it bound to be easiest way of getting a few pound
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Minder on October 15, 2008, 09:53:01 PM
A wedding is merely a money making exercise nowadays, nothing more or less.
Agree there.
It's ridiculous.

leenie

the general consensus here is that you give 100 euro if your going with a guest and 50 if your going by yourself... personally i thinks it's fair!

and did you know according to "mr hobbs" that if you were gong to invite 200 ppl to your wedding it is actually economically better to increase it 300 as you will more than likely break-even on your big day!
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

comethekingdom

Would'nt give less than 200 €uros! weddings are fierce expensive now - average cost of a modest feed can be 60 or 70 euros a head!

pintsofguinness

Quote from: comethekingdom on October 15, 2008, 09:59:22 PM
Would'nt give less than 200 €uros! weddings are fierce expensive now - average cost of a modest feed can be 60 or 70 euros a head!
Where you posting on that thread?
Why is it up to you to cover the cost of someone else's choice of food for you?

Puckoon

If Im ever doing it again - you are the first one on the invitation.

Minder

My missus's cousin got married last year, this fella would go up your arse for a pound and invited over 200 people, he made it very apparent he wanted cash. At the last count he made £17k when all the bills were paid............

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Puckoon on October 15, 2008, 10:01:49 PM

Sssh, this is my way of sorting out who from the board is being invited to my wedding.

I doubt he's talking shite minder.

Minder

Quote from: pintsofguinness on October 15, 2008, 10:04:09 PM
Quote from: Puckoon on October 15, 2008, 10:01:49 PM

Sssh, this is my way of sorting out who from the board is being invited to my wedding.

I doubt he's talking shite minder.

His sister told us and i would believe her.

comethekingdom

I'm not terrible flush with cash but are youse all hungry oors or wha? Bands, DJ's,  Flowers, Limos, wine, cake, Video, Photographer, dresses, suits, stationary, fake tan etc etc must all be paid for on top of the feed!

gerry

i am the first on your list pints, as i give £100 and you have only one dinner to buy
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,