How much would you spend on a wedding present?

Started by pintsofguinness, October 15, 2008, 09:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maggie

What bout those of us who get "and guest" on their invitation.
Also, depending on how close a friend/rellie they are, first it is an engagement pressie, then wedding day and then its the christening pressies.
Those of us who are resigned to the single life get sweet FA- woohoo heres a present to celebrate you not getting engaged  :P

pintsofguinness

QuoteWhat bout those of us who get "and guest" on their invitation.
How much would you give as a wedding present?  Maybe you can accompany Gerry to mine.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

maggie

I usually give £70 (credit crunch and all that) but prob around £120 for a close mucker.
Congrats BTW-when is the big day?

pintsofguinness

Quote from: maggie on October 15, 2008, 10:59:25 PM
I usually give £70 (credit crunch and all that) but prob around £120 for a close mucker.
Congrats BTW-when is the big day?
That's good, you can go with Gerry.
I haven't decided on the day yet, will need to look at the profit margins.

Have to find someone that will suck my toes as well.

The Real Laoislad

€150 usually, if its a close friend then €200

I can stand people who actually send out a list of presents they want in the invitation,I think its the height of ignorance
You'll Never Walk Alone.

pintsofguinness

QuoteI can stand people who actually send out a list of presents they want in the invitation,I think its the height of ignorance
Same here.

maggie

Why though? I think its a good idea, esp if the couple are living together.
They dont want 5 toasters, kettles etc.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: maggie on October 15, 2008, 11:21:17 PM

Eh maybe because getting married isn't about how many or how good presents you get?
You'll Never Walk Alone.

pintsofguinness

If you're going to a wedding of a couple who've been living together you're not going to get them a toaster or kettle.
It's the height of ignorance to assume that people should get you anything - you don't put out christmas or brithday lists do you?

maggie

Yes but obviously you expect ppl to give gifts by way of tradition so if you already live together and have built a home together, its a bit of guidance for guests-they dont want to be getting something you already have.

maggie

Quote from: pintsofguinness on October 15, 2008, 11:25:02 PM
If you're going to a wedding of a couple who've been living together you're not going to get them a toaster or kettle.
It's the height of ignorance to assume that people should get you anything - you don't put out christmas or brithday lists do you?

Sorry-you are talking brown stuff-you do assume ppl will get you wedding presents

The Real Laoislad

Spot on pints
I know couples who actually admitted they were inviting people they wouldn't care if they ever saw again as they knew they were going to make a profit on every guest that was invited....
If I ever make my gf a honest woman I will have my family and a few very close friends and she will have the same.I certainly won't be telling them they have to buy me a present..Its pure and utter ignorance to do as such IMHO
You'll Never Walk Alone.

leenie

pints when you do get married and get your "toes sucked" (whatever thats about) and get f$%k all presents you should come back to this thread and see how you feel then!
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

milltown row

i'd no control over wedding and didn't really want to, to be honest its the womans day. they dream of it and for them it has to be right, wedding gifts are part of it and i'd prefer actually going to a wedding with a gift that will actually be put into use as opposed to being stuck up in th attic (i've a few up there)

we went and done the Debenhams thingy for my wedding many years ago. everything was got. you go and pick loads of stuff and if they get them then grand, if not it didn't really matter. one familly usually still turns up with the money in a card, the other gets gifts.

anyone looking a porcelin holy book :D