How much would you spend on a wedding present?

Started by pintsofguinness, October 15, 2008, 09:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

Quote from: comethekingdom on October 15, 2008, 10:06:56 PM
I'm not terrible flush with cash but are youse all hungry oors or wha? Bands, DJ's,  Flowers, Limos, wine, cake, Video, Photographer, dresses, suits, stationary, fake tan etc etc must all be paid for on top of the feed!

If you cant afford to get married dont have the "big day", why should everyone else foot the bill?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

leenie

Quote from: pintsofguinness on October 15, 2008, 10:04:09 PM
Quote from: Puckoon on October 15, 2008, 10:01:49 PM
Quote from: comethekingdom on October 15, 2008, 09:59:22 PM
Would'nt give less than 200 €uros! weddings are fierce expensive now - average cost of a modest feed can be 60 or 70 euros a head!

If Im ever doing it again - you are the first one on the invitation.
Sssh, this is my way of sorting out who from the board is being invited to my wedding.

I doubt he's talking shite minder.

but if you were getting married across the water people would have to pay for flights/ferry so that would have to be taken into account when it came to the present!
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

Down Gael

Quote from: Minder on October 15, 2008, 09:53:01 PM
A wedding is merely a money making exercise nowadays, nothing more or less.

Exactly.

A friend of ours got married last year. All the mates got together to decide what we were going to donate give in lieu of a wedding gift and we decided on €200 per couple. I thought it was a fair enough amount, so did the groom, but the bride wasnt so happy. She expected €500 from each couple and made her feelings known.
Wasnt a geat wedding either.

leenie

Quote from: Minder on October 15, 2008, 10:10:36 PM
I'm not terrible flush with cash but are youse all hungry oors or wha? Bands, DJ's,  Flowers, Limos, wine, cake, Video, Photographer, dresses, suits, stationary, fake tan etc etc must all be paid for on top of the feed!

If you cant afford to get married dont have the "big day", why should everyone else foot the bill?

fake tan........... for the man or woman or both?

leenie

Quote from: Down Gael on October 15, 2008, 10:11:40 PM

Exactly.

A friend of ours got married last year. All the mates got together to decide what we were going to donate give in lieu of a wedding gift and we decided on €200 per couple. I thought it was a fair enough amount, so did the groom, but the bride wasnt so happy. She expected €500 from each couple and made her feelings known.

christ i know what i would have told her!!!!!!!!!

midLouth

Really depends on the people involved, my best mate got married this year so I gave them something more than what has been mentioned here. Would normally be around the 150 mark if I got on well with them. Cover your seat and a bit extra.

An Fear Rua

Ive no idea how much we got , and dont really give a shit either, invite the people you want to be there, not the people your ma and da owes a day out too.
Its Grim up North

pintsofguinness

I'm not terrible flush with cash but are youse all hungry oors or wha? Bands, DJ's,  Flowers, Limos, wine, cake, Video, Photographer, dresses, suits, stationary, fake tan etc etc must all be paid for on top of the feed!
But it's not your wedding, so why are you paying for those things, you're a guest!

I've only ever been to a couple of weddings - I dont like them, I generally turn down invitations.
Very close friend got 150 stg from me and herself a couple of years ago - but everyone wouldnt get that!
A close member of the family got married a while back, she insisted there was to be no presents - she got a about 80 quid spent on her on a keep sake. 

This craic for evening dos is another rip off.

downgael, pass on her name, she can sit at gerry and comethekingdoms table.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

comethekingdom

Quote from: Minder on October 15, 2008, 10:10:36 PM

fake tan........... for the man or woman or both?
[/quote]
its easy spot the Ooompa Loompas at a wedding!

Donagh

Got married recently myself and we just let it be known among the younger guests that cash would be appreciated. We'd no expectations as we knew some people had more to spare than others. The couple will be glad you made the effort to be there and gave them a few quid. Our cash gifts ranged from about £50 a couple to about £200 with most in and around £100 or E100 per couple. They'll have a lot more things to be concerning themselves with rather than bean counting and if they haven't then feck them.

And it was far from a money making exercise - the cash didn't cover a quarter of the costs but we were happy to have an Irish wedding with our family and friends there regardless.

Bensars

Heard a story from a friend whereby himself and wife had recieved an invitation. In it there was a poem that stated they only wanted money and to make matters worse  it included the bank details of the couple to be married.   Just in case you wanted to transfer money directly into it !

Around my area most people give 100 Stg. Presents would usually be from people not going

An Fear Rua

Quote from: Donagh on October 15, 2008, 10:18:09 PM

And it was far from a money making exercise - the cash didn't cover a quarter of the costs but we were happy to have an Irish wedding with our family and friends there regardless.

Ditto
Its Grim up North

Down Gael

Quote from: hardstation on October 15, 2008, 10:13:05 PM
Who would marry a dick like thon?

You would wonder. You`d think t here her she was born with a silver spoon in her mouth, but in truth she was reared by her granny as no one else married her. My mate who married her is a nice lad, but he just agrees with everything she wants. You wouldnt want their overdraft at the minute  :D

the green man

Puckoon

Quote from: Down Gael on October 15, 2008, 10:11:40 PM

Exactly.

What kind of circles would someone run in, to where they would expect that an average couple can fork out more than 200$ for a wedding gift? I mean even if you could afford it - 500$ is a serious chunk of change. You could cover christmas for the whole family for that price.