AC/DC in Dublin

Started by Stalin, October 14, 2008, 07:47:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rav67

Quote from: rolloutking on July 03, 2009, 02:58:58 AM
QuoteThats him told!

Rolloutking - regarding the bit in bold, I though you were a girl?  Or has the mask slipped and you're actually a fella like the majority of "ladies" on this board!

What the f**k made you think that? Ther usernames RollOutKing, not RollOutQueen

:D Cant remember its just in my head from ages ago.  In fairness I did think you went on like a fella and must be a mucksavage/ladette!

Maguire01

Quote from: rolloutking on July 03, 2009, 01:36:50 AM
QuoteThese things are part of it if you accept them. Why should you pay €80 for a concert and then have a crap soundsystem? Or have to wait 2 hours because the organisers can't get the public transport sorted?
As for the queues at bars - i just don't understand this. The amount of money that could be made here if there were enough bars - it's madness on the part of the organisers.

For the record, I was at the gig in The Point in April - good crowd and no queues for anything - straight to the front of the bar every time (and I was only going at intervals, when they're normally bunged).

The point I am making is that concerts are like this and all these things are part of the experience. Concerts aren't just about the music. They're about the craic, the warm beer, the half cooked burgers, the mud, the rain, the not giving a f**k about anything for a while, having a day out with your mates, getting soaked with a pint from someone miles back and not caring, swinging you tshirt over you head, having a total stranger lift you on their shoulders, being in the company of people who know every word of every song just like you, the mosh pits, singing your favourite song as loud you can along with 80000 people, seeing your mate with a girl who you wouldn't put your boot in never mind your tool and just laughing it off.

Thats what happens at concerts and thats why you pay 80 Euros for a ticket. So next time your standing in a que for a drink or a bus for 2 hours try being sociable and have the craic with the person beside you instead of standing with a sour face thinking about what radio phone in show your going to call in the morning. If you go to a gig just to hear the music you would be safer staying at home and listening to a live album in the comfort of your living room. Otherwise spend your 80 euros on a opera ticket or a musical in some theatre. I hear they are very respectable occasions.

The stuff in your first paragraph - fair enough - none of that is down to the promoters. I've been in the mosh pit, i've been soaked, i've sung along to the songs..... who's complaining about any of that?

But in relation to the rest of it - if your accept second best, that's what you get. Such lack of organisation and facilities is common, especially in Ireland, but that doesn't make it okay.

I've been to hundreds of festivals and gigs - both working and as a punter - and have seen the good, the bad and the ugly. If some promoters can ensure their events have proper transport arrangements, proper bar facilities etc, then there's no excuse for the rest.

Take a visit to a festival in Europe, then come back and compare to Oxegen / Slane / Punchestown - you don't need to go to an opera or a musical.

And I don't call any radio shows.

thejuice

Been going to festivals in Europe more often these days. Better craic, less knackers, better choice, better organisation generally, better weather, sexier women and everythings generally cheaper.

The festivals in Germany are the best run in my experience.

Only go to smaller festivals at home. Would have to take something ridiculously good to get me to go back to Oxegen or Slane or a big festival in the UK.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Louth Exile

The brother told me last night that one of his mates is away off to a Belgian festival, something like €150 for a four or five day ticket!!! Its €106 for a one day ticket to Oxegen!!

Anyway, this thread has got highjacked..... AC/DC RULE!!!!!
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

ludermor

Lads any of ye going to the electric picnic this year?

Maguire01

Quote from: ludermor on July 03, 2009, 09:45:39 PM
Lads any of ye going to the electric picnic this year?
Hopefully. Not an exceptional line-up, but always a great atmosphere.

Armamike

Quote from: rolloutking on June 30, 2009, 11:42:07 PM
Jesus Christ why do people have to moan so much about piss head ands queue's for buses at concerts. I've been to about 10 gigs in the last 9 months and it's always the same reaction from people on this board ,

"I had to wait 2 hours on a bus"
"Every teenager I seen was off their face"
"The stewards just stood around and did nothing"
"I had to que too long for a drink"
"The sound system was shite"
"Half the crowd where pilled out of it" 
"I'm never going to a concert again"

Really what you should say is:

"I'm just a sour oul **** who is over the hill and is jealous of everyone having the craic"

It's a f**king concert. These things are part of it. Get over it. It people like you lot that spoil the whole thing.

That's bollix . Having some c**t trying to pish down the back of your leg isn't part of anything - not in my world anyway.

I've been to enough good open air concerts over the years to know my apples from oranges - half the knackers at the DC concert didn't get to see the fookin concert never mind have a good time.

That's just, like your opinion man.

thejuice

Quote from: Louth Exile on July 03, 2009, 08:04:51 PM
The brother told me last night that one of his mates is away off to a Belgian festival, something like €150 for a four or five day ticket!!! Its €106 for a one day ticket to Oxegen!!

Damn Straight!

Rumours that they are touring next year just playing the Back In Black album in its entirety as its 30 years old.

I'll attend those shows if its true but if I were so privileged to pick an AC/DC set list it would be this:

1. Riff Raff
2. Bad Boy Boogie
3. Whats Next To The Moon,
4. Shake a Leg,
5. Its A Long Way To The Top,
6. Girls Got Rhythm
7. Rock and Roll Train
8. Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution
9. High Voltage
10. Let There Be Rock
11. Problem Child
12. Hell Ain't A Bad Place To Be
13. Hells Bells
14. Highway To Hell
15. For Those About To Rock,
16. If You Want Blood

wishful thinking of course.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

quit yo jibbajabba

good oul list there juice, not many arguments (apart from the odd glaring omission ;))

which reminds me; huge fan of the old "bad boy boogie" number, was really wantin it to come up at some stage on sunday;
a chap beside me remarked that they never do it live, which i accepted at the time;
i was wondering i any of the hard core fans knew if there was a reason behind this at all?

also, have to agree with the majority of the posters on here; theres an acceptable elvel of tolerance for the sh1t you have to go through to get to a concert, and while there, and on the way home;
standing in a massive snake like queue, while feckers jump barriers, and stewards and gards do nothing is not my idea of fun; we stood in the queue for an hour, and would still have been in the queue for another hr minimum till they barriers were tumbled; not my idea of fun i tell thee

Maguire01

Quote from: thejuice on July 04, 2009, 02:11:52 AM
Rumours that they are touring next year just playing the Back In Black album in its entirety as its 30 years old.
I'd rather a straight set. How long is Back & Black? It's a great album, but it wouldn't be much of a concert on its own.
Maybe they'll do something like the latest Manics tour, where they played their new album in full for the first half of the gig and then played a greatest hits set.

thejuice

Quote from: Maguire01 on July 04, 2009, 11:20:53 AM
I'd rather a straight set. How long is Back & Black? It's a great album, but it wouldn't be much of a concert on its own.
Maybe they'll do something like the latest Manics tour, where they played their new album in full for the first half of the gig and then played a greatest hits set.

Back In Black is about 40 minutes, they'll probably do as you say, play the hits after.

RE: jibbajabba

I picked songs they havent played in years or ever. But in regards Bad Boy Boogie, they played it on the Stiff Upper Lip tour in 2000.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAwrB7PLgVc&feature=related

They never play Its A Long Way To Top. SOme say its because of the Bagpipes but some say that it was Bons signature tune and they dont play it as a mark of respect. But i'd love to hear them play it.

Louth Exile

Quote from: Louth Exile on July 03, 2009, 08:04:51 PM

Damn Straight!

I'll attend those shows if its true but if I were so privileged to pick an AC/DC set list it would be this:

1. Riff Raff
2. Bad Boy Boogie
3. Whats Next To The Moon,
4. Shake a Leg,
5. Its A Long Way To The Top,
6. Girls Got Rhythm
7. Rock and Roll Train
8. Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution
9. High Voltage
10. Let There Be Rock
11. Problem Child
12. Hell Ain't A Bad Place To Be
13. Hells Bells
14. Highway To Hell
15. For Those About To Rock,
16. If You Want Blood

wishful thinking of course.

Only two songs post BiB  :o

Bad Boy Boogie doesn't fetaure on the live double album or family jewels dvd

My ten year old loves Long way to the top and LZ's emigrant song, all as a result of school of rock. If you want to convert kids to rock its a class way to do it.
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

thejuice

Quote from: Louth Exile on July 04, 2009, 12:33:06 PM
My ten year old loves Long way to the top and LZ's emigrant song, all as a result of school of rock. If you want to convert kids to rock its a class way to do it.

good stuff, start them early.

Don't know what I'd do if my kids bring home albums by boy bands or pop-groups. Suppose I'd take a leaf out of the PMRC's books and confiscate such evil music and give them something more wholesome like W.A.S.P.

The Blegard

saw them in Sydney years ago when they were supported by the Living end. One of the best concerts i have been to

My favourite songs have always been Downpayment Blues and gone Shooting from Powerage. Been caught speeding a few times to them
Ceol,Dole agus Ol

DoYerJob Linesman

Quote from: thejuice on July 04, 2009, 04:27:49 PM
Quote from: Louth Exile on July 04, 2009, 12:33:06 PM

good stuff, start them early.

Don't know what I'd do if my kids bring home albums by boy bands or pop-groups. Suppose I'd take a leaf out of the PMRC's books and confiscate such evil music and give them something more wholesome like W.A.S.P.

White Anglo Saxon Protestants?
17/03/02 - Semple Stadium Thurles - Heaven On Earth