The Heineken Cup Thread

Started by Dinny Breen, October 09, 2008, 04:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ExiledGael

Another thrilling finish in Toulouse. If ever someone snatched defeat from the jaws of victory it was Bath. Skrela hit a last kick penalty to win by two after Bath were turned over clinging on to a lead with 7 seconds of time remaining.

Hoof Hearted

i went for bath to win their group in my accumulator >:(
i was screaming at the tele to kick the fuckin thing into touch
ah well, like the ospreys, who i also have to win their group, a losing bonus point away from home against the top side isnt the worst
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

AZOffaly

Great win for Leinster, but what a win for Sale in Clermont? Jaysus. It's almost must win for Munster now in Edgely park next week.

Munster were very poor on Friday night, and steeped to get away with it. Dinny is spot on, completely un-?Munster like. Win the game first, then win the bonus point. You can't do it the other way around. On a wet evening like that, kicking for corners and contesting their lineout was the way forward, and then when you get on top, let Howlett, Mafi, Tipoki and Earls try to find gaps. Very odd.

I was uneasy when I heard McGahan talking about bonus points during the week, that's very un Munster like. Hopefully he's learnt his lesson, and we'll hear all about how brilliant Sale are before next Sunday. Thomond Park looks great, but there was a general air of disrespect to the Montauban team. Not in terms of booing or anything, that was as good as ever, but in terms of not being fired up for the game in the crowd. An expected win almost. The empty seats reflected that as well I'd say. All in all a very strange and 'un-HEC' type night in Limerick. Felt more like Magners League.

Well done to Leinster too.

Hoof Hearted

anyone hear Mark Robson tonight on the commentary of the Leinster game ?
after Rob Kearneys kick on for O'Driscolls first try, Will Greenwood said " it looked like Heskey to Owen, im struggling to think of any Irish players here, help me out".
What did Robson say, "DAVID HEALEY". in the name of fcuk. If Tony F was watching he would have been throwing stuff t the TV !!

PS Some performance, real contenders now.

haze

QuotePosted by: Hoof Hearted 
Insert Quote
anyone hear Mark Robson tonight on the commentary of the Leinster game ?
after Rob Kearneys kick on for O'Driscolls first try, Will Greenwood said " it looked like Heskey to Owen, im struggling to think of any Irish players here, help me out".
What did Robson say, "DAVID HEALEY". in the name of fcuk. If Tony F was watching he would have been throwing stuff t the TV !!

Yeah unfortunately i heard it. Jesus it was cringeworthy. I'm surprised that considering Greenwood made the comparison with Heskey and Owen, that Robson didnt throw in Lafferty with Healy!

In my opinion superior to Champions League, it is dog eat dog from day one of competition. Stade Francais have impressed me the most so far, though Leinster on last nights performance are a close second

Tankie

Super win for Leinter lastnight, still early day but good signs for both Leinster and Ireland.
Grand Slam Saturday!

TacadoirArdMhacha

Munster and Sale 16-16. Sounds like O'Gara just missed a sitter - 12 minutes left to play.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

AZOffaly

Super weekend for the two big boys. Leinster looked imperious in swatting aside Wasps yesterday, and Munster dug deep for a fantastic away win against the Premiership leaders. When O'Gara missed the penalty after Sale drew level, I was a bit nervous, but fair play they picked it up again and got the win. Limiting Sale to not getting a losing bonus point was great as well. After Sale's demolition job of Clermont Auvergne last weekend in France, I was very nervous about this game, but Munster looked much better after a flat outing last weekend.

Leinster and Munster are in good shape now. Must keep it going though. Clermont away will still be rough, because they'll fancy they are right back in it with the result today.

Capt Pat

Was O'Garas kick that rolled over the top of the post with the scores level actually a score it seemed to deflect off the top of the post and hit the target. What about Marcus Horans intercepted pass tat helped save the game?

Hoof Hearted

brilliant stuff by the 2 irish sides this weekend. I have my tickets for Murrayfield booked 5 months ago and to have 1 or maybe 2 irish teams there would be fantastic

lets hope now with Kidney in charge, this form can be transferred to Ireland and the Autumn Internationals

Gnevin

Great win for Leinster , 10 points after 2 games is  far better than i had hoped
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

The GAA

Does anyone know the reason for Henson's much publicised recent disciplining?

Dinny Breen

QuoteDoes anyone know the reason for Henson's much publicised recent disciplining?

Got a bollicking of the coaches for his poor performance, didn't like that and took unauthorised leave. Interestingly enough it was his team-mates that decided the suspension although due to injuries he had to be recalled for Saturday's game.

Leinster were very good on Saturday and should win the pool now, however this is Leinster expect an implosion in the quarter-final.
#newbridgeornowhere

The GAA

Depends on the draw probably. i think leinster can be a bit like armagh in that they take their eye off the ball against teams that don't motivate them automatically. if leinster could draw premeirship sides til the final they could with it

Dinny Breen

Interesting observation, could will be right although Leinster rugby is better to look at than Armagh football  :P
#newbridgeornowhere