The Heineken Cup Thread

Started by Dinny Breen, October 09, 2008, 04:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephenite

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 09, 2008, 05:39:31 PM
He's from good Limerick/Tipperary stock, his Dad called Ger Earls, played for Young Munster and Munster back in the day. He's just breaking onto the team, but has been sensational in his first few games. Very dangerous on the counter, and runs a great line. He's very fond of the chip and chase, though, which might burn him at some stage. I still have a bit of doubt about him under the high ball, but he does look like the real deal.

That's a strong Munster team, roll on tomorrow!!

Why is an Offaly person supporting Munster?

Just to get the annual AZ has to explain his rugby allegiances out of the way ;)

Kerry Mike

Don't be getting AZ started, deep down he is just ashamed to be a Ladyboy supporter !!!
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

AZOffaly

Quote from: rosnarun on October 09, 2008, 10:21:06 PM
Quoteat scrum time,
???
would that not be a big ask after rucktime so soon after kick off time.

go on the Ospreys a team who play to the spirit of the game but munster will probably win by boring the f**k out of every one again. though if the ref ref the ELVs correctly and make teams play rugby thatll be the end of that band wagon

That shows how much rugby you watch rosnarun. I suppose give a dog a name and all that, but Munster's game is completely different over the past 2-3 years, and this year looks like moving on again. Even Dinny is praising it for Jaysus sake :D

And KM, I would be ashamed to be a Ladyboy supporter were I, in fact, a Ladyboy supporter :D What time you heading up at? Traffic was bananas last weekend, so I'm leaving work about 4.30, heading into Boh's bar behind the West Stand. See you for a pint?

TORGAEL

TORGAEL

Fulltime. Munster 19, Montauban 17.

Our Nail Loney

That was hard to watch... Not for me though as I had took the french side and Treviso plus the points in the handicaps

8)

mackers

Stringer has fairly fallen down the pecking order and rightly so.........jeez he was rubbish last night. You could clearly see O'Gara muttering away to himself after some of the passes he received (or didn't receive in a lot of cases!). The lad Earls seemed to be trying too hard..........poor performance all round.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Dinny Breen

Munster played for the bonus from the start, very un-Munster like. Would consider that a point dropped rather than 4 gained.
#newbridgeornowhere

TacadoirArdMhacha

What I can't understand is the way some of these French sides play weakened sides. Maybe you could understand it towards the end once a chance of qualification but, I assume they bust a gut to get into one of the qualification places and then to play a weakened team seems like a waste of all that effort. Which French sides constantly take it seriously? Stade, Biarraitz, Toulouse, Perpignan?
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Rav67

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on October 11, 2008, 01:10:56 PM
What I can't understand is the way some of these French sides play weakened sides. Maybe you could understand it towards the end once a chance of qualification but, I assume they bust a gut to get into one of the qualification places and then to play a weakened team seems like a waste of all that effort. Which French sides constantly take it seriously? Stade, Biarraitz, Toulouse, Perpignan?

To them the French Championnat is just more prestigious.  It's a bit like the EPL soccer teams sending out slightly weakened sides in the FA Cup to save players for the League.

Dinny Breen

Some French sides don't have the strenght on dept to compete on two fronts, the Top 14 is a savage competition minimum 26 games. Throw in Internationals and Europe and some French players are looking at nearly 40 games, no rugby player could play that amount of games.

Great win for Leinster, scrappy performance which I put down to an awful ref but to get 5 points off their bogey team is a fantastic achievement.

Sale away for Munster has now become a must win, great bloody competition.
#newbridgeornowhere

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Dinny Breen on October 11, 2008, 03:35:27 PM
Some French sides don't have the strenght on dept to compete on two fronts, the Top 14 is a savage competition minimum 26 games. Throw in Internationals and Europe and some French players are looking at nearly 40 games, no rugby player could play that amount of games.

Great win for Leinster, scrappy performance which I put down to an awful ref but to get 5 points off their bogey team is a fantastic achievement.

Dinny how does the number of games in the French Championship compare with the Guinness Premiership? The resting players seems to be only a French phenoneum rather than English?

8 teams qualifying from 24 does make it fiercely competitive right enough.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Tankie

Great win for Leinster, need to make it count with a win over Wasps next week tho!
Grand Slam Saturday!

Dinny Breen

QuoteDinny how does the number of games in the French Championship compare with the Guinness Premiership? The resting players seems to be only a French phenoneum rather than English?

The Guinness Premiership is a minimum 22 game season and in fairness the Premiership cubs don't rotate unless in the latter rounds when they can't qualify. Personnally I would rate the Top 14 the hardest competition followed by the GP and then the HEC.
#newbridgeornowhere

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: Dinny Breen on October 11, 2008, 03:35:27 PM

brilliant competition. best about in any sport. i have a sore ass though cause i have watched all 6 live games !! cant wait until next weekend. Leinster Wasps Sat evening the pick.
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012