The Heineken Cup Thread

Started by Dinny Breen, October 09, 2008, 04:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 22, 2012, 03:56:42 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on October 22, 2012, 02:49:11 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on October 22, 2012, 02:28:44 PM
I think you are right about the pattern of play, and sure hopefully we'll see it develop. I think you might be a bit hard on some of the lads on the list thought. They might not be top notch, but they are better than what was coming out of the academy 3 or 4 years ago.

I saw Duncan Williams a couple of times this season, and I think he's not as poor as you might think. His speed from ruck to ruck is very impressive, and he can generate very quick ball. Not nearly as strong as Murray, but he's a decent change of pace.

I'm not harsh AZ, if Munster want to be top 8 in Europe a lot of those players won't get them there or keep them there either. Duncan Williams is 26, compare him to Kieran Marmion 20 playing for Connacht, I can only see one of them playing for Ireland...

No doubt, but what I'm saying is that it's better than what was coming out. There's the bones of a decent team there, but as you say the real superstars are missing. Are they going to be local lads, or imports? Leinster are obviously miles and miles ahead in their academy, but they had a huge head start because when Munster were making hay, Leinster were grooming Kearney, Fitzgerald, O'Brien, Sexton, Madigan, et al. Munster will catch up, but it is going to take time. Hopefully Earls, Zebo, Murray and Hanrahan can start the process.

The Leinster Academy is a little over-hyped - they produce players through sheer numbers playing the game in Leinster relative to the rest of the country. Ealrs and Zebo though are and Hanrahan I hope will be as good as anything Leinster have produced in the last 5 years.
#newbridgeornowhere

Capt Pat

I think this Munster squad is coming together nicely for the next couple of years. Hanrahan will be a class act, Murray is a fine young improving scrum half, O Mahony and Stander will give Munster a strong back row. Ryan will move into second row to partner O Connell. Botha and Kilkoyne will be props. They are well catered for at hooker with Varley, Sherry and Scannell for next year at hooker.

Onto the outside backs, they have Zebo, Howlett, Earls, Lalala?, Felix Jones.

No mention of O Gara or Keatley from me I am not excited by either at this stage although O Gara could still save a game for them.They still have a potentially strong team. Maybe not as good as Leinster but I think Saracens will know all about it in a months time.

galwayman

Quote10 points v Racing and Edinburgh are almost guaranteed,
I wouldn't agree that bonus point wins against either are almost guaranteed. Sure they are achievable but are far from guaranteed.
True Edinburgh are most likely out of the competition already but it is very difficult to win away from home in the first place - let alone to score 4 tries.
As regards Racing in the last game - that would be highly dependant on how they do in the double header against Edinburgh. If they were to win both they'd be back in contention.
That said I would be more hopeful of the bonus point against Racing at home than Edinburgh away.

Capt Pat

Did anybody see Munsters rabo 12 game tonight? Did JJ Hanrahan impress?

All of a Sludden

JJ Hanrahan marked his first start for Munster with two tries and a man-of-the-match display as they beat Zebre at Thomond Park.

An uninspiring first half produced just six points, with Ian Keatley and Zebre's Australian centre Daniel Halangahu striking a single penalty apiece.

But Munster found an extra gear or two after that, inviting Hanrahan, twice, and Felix Jones through for tries and Luke O'Dea dotted down for a 76th-minute bonus-point score.

It was a penalty-riddled start to proceedings in Limerick. The Italians settled quickly, although their captain Gonzalo Garcia skewed a penalty from his own half well wide.

Munster took a quarter of an hour to get within striking distance and Keatley drew his first penalty attempt wide in the 18th minute.

Taking Casey Laulala out of the equation, the Munster back-line had an average age of 23 with Laulala's centre partner Hanrahan (20) making his full debut, while stand-in captain Peter O'Mahony led a back row averaging 22.

Munster number eight Paddy Butler was guilty of obstruction off the back of a scrum but Halangahu was unable to convert the resulting kick from the left.

Zebre, with their heavy pack putting their weight about, went off their feet at a central ruck in the 26th minute, allowing Keatley to kick the hosts ahead.

However, both sides struggled to retain possession and build attacks with referee Neil Hennessy eager to keep on top of a messy breakdown and scrum.

Halangahu had the final say before half-time, splitting the posts with his first successful kick after the Italians put pressure on in the scrum.

Five-and-a-half minutes into the second half, Munster finally unlocked the Zebre defence. Hanrahan backed himself, darting through a gap on the right and getting past Luca Martinelli near the line for a well-taken try.

Keatley converted and just before the hour mark, Jones jinked past four defenders on a eye-catching surge to the whitewash which will have pleased watching Ireland boss Declan Kidney.

With Rob Kearney sidelined through injury, the fit-again Jones looks set to earn a call-up in the coming days for Ireland's November internationals.

The full-back's 56th-minute try was converted by Keatley who supplied the assist and the extras for Hanrahan's second, as the Kerry youngster gobbled up a teasing grubber from the number 10.

With Zebre tiring and Munster finding holes out wide, O'Dea and Jones threatened again before Laulala drew a couple of defenders and passed for O'Dea to finish off the night's scoring in the right corner.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

Main Street

A big win for Connaught this evening against Biarritz.
I think the true spirit of Irish rugby has drifted from Thomond to the Sportsground.

trileacman

Quote from: Main Street on December 07, 2012, 10:00:23 PM
A big win for Connaught this evening against Biarritz.
I think the true spirit of Irish rugby has drifted from Thomond to the Sportsground.

I'm sorry but Dan Parks outclassing Dimitri Yachvilli is a sign of the apocalypse, start praying. Amazing win for Connaught.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Myles Na G.

Great performance from Ulster tonight. How many teams get a bonus point win away to Northampton? A repeat performance next week and Ulster can start thinking about a home quarter final tie.

lfdown2

Wondering if any of ye can help, I'm home for christmas and I see Ulster are playing Glasgow on the weekend of the 12th of January and wouldn't mind heading to it. Though tickets aren't on sale (I suspect because a firm date has not been set) any idea when the date will be set and when tickets would go on sale?

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Fair play to Connacht, that was a big scalp.

On a seperate note, what is it with people spelling the name of our province, both the team and the province are Connacht.

Spelling it Connaught is akin to spelling Derry as Londonderry as far as I am concerned.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

thejuice

Was at the Ulster game last night. Was like a home game with the Ulster crowd in full voice. Despite being very much in the minority. They completely dominated every facet of the game. Saints were pretty rubbish to be fair.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

u bent op uw

Went to the match last night. Expected more from Northampton but Ulster were dominant. From tactics, tackling and flair it was very impressive. It takes a bit of luck to get to back to back Heineken finals but who knows? Bowe and Trimble let Gilroy know what it takes to cement a place in a first class team...Best took one (two or three) for the cause from Hartley but I'm sure he has had worse in his time.

The Edgar Mobbs Way now links the soccer and rugby grounds....any chance of an extension to Sons of Erin (current Warks County Intermediate Champions) to complete the holy trilogy of sport?

trileacman

Aw great game today, Clermont are a savage team, got fucked over a few times by the ref as well. Bonniare, Parra, Fofana, Rougerie and Zachvilli are world class. Leinster will take them at home next week though, a good result in the absence of some important players. Madigan looked composed but was very weak under the high ball, didn't compete for one all day.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Main Street

The headlines should read 'Leinster win the bonus point' and 'Munster concede the bonus point'.
Munster may well rue their inability to hold onto the 9 point lead. Their play in that last 20 minutes was marked by degrees of sloppiness and poor decision making, a far cry from their trademark ability of old, to close out a game with 'anti-rugby' tactics.

Celt_Man

Are these highlights on TG4 doing anyone else's head in??
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010