Tyrone v Armagh - Ulster Championship 2009

Started by Kerry Mike, October 08, 2008, 08:39:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyrones own

Surprised to hear Gormley got MOM... I thought he struggled all day long with Clarke.
With regards to Clarks goal though it should have been a free in IMO as he was dragged down,
not often you see a man been allowed to get back on his feet and the advantage still be on offer
because to be fair O'Neill was through in the first half  and it was called back because of the late hit
on the passer(don't remember who it was)...think McAnaney got both calls the wrong way round.

Great game though and Armagh Def showed up to win it,  a few of the younger lads deserve
credit especially Lavery...McGrane might not be missed so much :-\
I'd also agree we've probably seen the last of Hearty for the county.

Justin McMahon was my MOM to be honest, thought he was Immense through out, Ricey kept McDonnell
fairly quiet also and Steven O'Neill had two or three men around him any time he got fed but still managed
a few great scores...the wide open spaces of Croker will suit him to a tee, Anyway great day for Ulster football ;D
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

kickingmule

Quote from: Oakleafer93 on May 31, 2009, 05:44:08 PM
Quote from: Carmen Stateside on May 31, 2009, 05:43:15 PM
It seemed to be the last fifteen minutes that Clarke got on top of Gormley, but his goal was the difference at the end of the day!

Thats because Gormley was pulling him down all day until he finally got a yellow card.
you got a problem with tyrone??? ....... you're posts smack of negitivity ........ @least we watched two sides who showed how we want to
the game played!!!
hang in there armagh ...... great effort ...
well done tyrone ....total football prevails ......  remarks : will get better:    conor gormley m.o.t.m.

orangeman

Good game today in Clones - 2 very good games in fact. Best side won on both occasions.

Tyrone defence played well - midfield did well also - attack spluttered throughout - more left in Tyrone's tank I think.

Oakleafer93

Quote from: kickingmule on May 31, 2009, 06:08:20 PM
It seemed to be the last fifteen minutes that Clarke got on top of Gormley, but his goal was the difference at the end of the day!

Thats because Gormley was pulling him down all day until he finally got a yellow card.
you got a problem with tyrone??? ....... you're posts smack of negitivity ........ @least we watched two sides who showed how we want to
the game played!!!
well done tyrone ....total football prevails ......  remarks : will get better:    conor gormley m.o.t.m.

Try reading through my posts I don't have a problem with Tyrone, I said they were the better team and they deserved the win...  ::) I just said Conor Gormley did a lot of fouling which he did, and ultimately got sent off for it.

mountainboii

Strangely content this evening, even though we lost. Reasons to be positive though with the minors coming through a really tough test and the sky the limit for them now, and our seniors putting up a decent showing.

Thought the minors just about deserved their win. They looked set to stroll home after opening up a 4 point lead early in the second half but then conceded a really soft goal (an effort for a point from about 35 yards out that flew between the keepers arms). Tyrone then took complete control for the next 15 minutes and only for winning the peno we were beat. The game really hinged on putting the penalty away and Tasker was coolness personified sending the keeper the other way. My only criticism of these lads is that there may be issues with fitness, a lot of them were left chasing shadows for the majority of the second half. I know it was a painfully hot day to play football in, but the Tyrone boys looked far better conditioned.

Seniors did alright, didn't surpass anyone's expectations but didn't embarrass themselves either. They can go on a have a good dig at the qualifiers safe in the knowledge that they were no more than a kick of the ball away from the AI champions. They've no need to fear taking on anyone later on this year. That said, there's a lot of room for improvement. There were 4 or 5 boys that underperformed today, and I wasn't too pleased with the performances of the men on the line today either. Tactics were, once again, shockingly obvious - get the ball to midfield, look for Stevie, Stevie gets it and he looks for Ronan, repeat. Tyrone clued into this early enough and rarely left Clarke on his own, the only time they did was when we worked a quick string of direct passes up to him and he grabbed a goal.

I thought Hearty was good and bad. He came out very well to deal with 3 or 4 high balls and his kick outs generally found their targets. But his shot stopping was questionable, particularly for the first goal when O'Neill looked to have beaten him at his near post. He also fucked about in the first half when he had a chance to clear the ball, giving away a 13 yard free that inevitably lead to a Tyrone point.

The FB line struggled a bit I think. Andy did as well on O'Neill as most corner backs will do, keeping him shackled for long periods. But O'Neill only needs a few scrapes of ball to do real damage to you, and he managed to do Andy for a couple of scores. Didn't notice Shannon much, dunno if that's a good or bad thing. Thought Donaghy did an admirable job on Canavagh, lost him for a few scores but he put in a couple of great tackles and interceptions in and around HB/ midfield. Think Donaghy might be a better option for us further out the field, he seems like too good a footballer to be stuck in at FB.

HB line were largely poor. Aaron and Finn Mo got forward well at times, but their defensive frailties were all on display today. They were both far too loose on their men (this typified by Finn standing off Dooher when he hit his point), and they were too slow to get back when Tyrone hit us on the counter attack. Aaron's passing was way off today too. McKeever was a solid presence in the middle. He seemed to play as an orthodox CHB, as many of us had hoped he would, and, although this meant he wasn't able to play a disruptive man marking job on anyone, it meant he was well position to break down a lot of Tyrone attacks.

Midfield was very surprising. Lavery finally delivered on some of that potential that he showed at underage level. I thought he was the best midfielder on display and was probably in the mix for man of the match at half time. Seemed to tire and fade in the second half, but he's certainly done enough to hold onto his jersey. Toner didn't win a lot of ball but he was a strong presence for us around the middle, in particular he gave another fantastic tackling display. Think it could be a good move to push him back into defense when Vernon returns.

O'Rourke had a bad game in the HF line. Unfortunately for us when Marty is good he can be very good, but when he's bad he is very bad. Today was a very bad day for him. Nothing seemed to go for him, passes were under hit or over hit, he was caught in possession a couple of times, hit a couple of poor shots. Mallon was better, he got involved in a couple of slick moves and looked capable of hitting a score or two (something seemingly alien to most HFs in the county). Thought Duffy was unlucky to be taken off as he was working really hard. He's a good footballer and we could do a lot worse that to have him in the lineup somewhere, that said he's never gonna hit 2 or 3 points a game like a top class HF.

Stevie had an average enough day. Was the link man in a lot of Armagh's attacks but his passing let him down at times. Seemed to find himself too far from goal to have a shot on a lot of occasions when he won possession. Still think we'd be better served putting him back closer to goal and having someone else in his playmaker role. Ronan was abysmal for 45 minutes before he sparked into life and suddenly seemed to have Gormley's number. I don't think his poor early form was entirely his fault, he was being asked to win a lot of unwinnable ball and found himself hugely outnumbered several times when he did get possession. Think he should take a bit of blame for Tyrone's second goal too, why was he back in his own FB line? This only served to allow Gormley to join the Tyrone attack and ultimately grab the goal. KOR showed well at times today and seemed to have a bit of a spark about him. Think he was also unlucky to be taken off as the main problems at that stage were further out the field.

I think with the game plan they had in mind that Tony Kernan should have started in the FF line. If the plan was to hit loads of 50/50 balls in Tony is better equipped to win these than KOR. Stephen Kernan made a decent impact when he came on. He missed a few tackles and seemed slow to track back, but he also showed a bit of class and skill to jink past a few Tyrone men to set up a few attacks. Dunno if he is a good enough all round player, but he certainly offers a much better passing ability than most of the incumbents in the HF line. Good to see Forker hit a point near the end, he's well in the mix for a spot in that FF line.

Reality is that we're still building, but with a better game plan and improved performances from 3 or 4 guys we can give any team their fill of it. Great experience for some of the younger lads today too, some of whom seem to be maturing nicely. Look forward to a bit of a tour of the country now, free from the claustrophobic Ulster championship. Just hope we don't draw another Ulster team in the first round.  

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Trevor Hill on May 31, 2009, 11:57:22 AM
Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on May 31, 2009, 12:43:10 AM
Low key build up on here and in genereal really it seems.

68 pages before a ball is kicked is low key?
The Ulster Championship begins today after 2 false starts, I think we could have the first shock of the championship with Armagh just shading a very tight game.

Compared to say the Armagh v Down match last year where there was a lot more chat about the game on here before the match.

Disappointed with the result today but was happy with the game we showed a bit of character to come back into the match from 8 points down to get within 2 at one stage.

We made a good start going 0-3 to 0-1 ahead but seemed to stop completely then and could have been even further behind at halftime. Thought that, just like last year, we played far too deep. Paul Duffy did some decent work I felt but both himself and Brian Mallon were effectively playing as half backs and Mallon especially just couldn't get into the game. If Brian is going to be an effective member of this team, he needs to play as a genuine half forward.

I doubt Clarke had a worse 45 minutes in an Armagh jersey - couldn't get into the game at all int he first half and I'm not sure what he was doing back in his own full back line for the Tyrone second goal - surely he shouldn't have been so far back - had he kept his position, Gormley wouldn't have been in the position to score the goal. Gormley took the goal very very well though. Clarke was excellent in the last 20 minutes though and got well on top of Gormley who simply resorted to fouling and deserved his red card. Luckily for Armagh McEnaney played advantage after Gormley's foul in the lead up to Clarke's goal.

It was good to see McDonnell was a bit quicker with the changes today compared to last year. probably a good idea to take Stephen Kernan off as he thrives int he space which was opening up as players tired. What annoyed me is that it was Kevin O'Rourke who was taken off despite playing very very well I thought. It was almost as though McDonnell had decided to take Kevin off after 50 minutes no matter how well he played. Also thought he should have made another couple of changes later on. We expended so much energy getting back to within 2, I thought that was the time to bring on Forker and Henderson, rather than taking Forker on when Tyrone had extended the lead to 5 and the game was just about beyond Armagh's grasp.

Thought Ciaran McKeever had a good game and did well when switched onto Stevie O'Neill in the second half. Donaghy was a little too loose on Cavanagh at times. Rest of the backs were ok without being great.

Have to say I was convinced Kevin O'Rourke had scored a point just before Tyrone's first goal. Got a text saying that the BBC pundits thought it was over but apparently Ronan Gallagher had another angle and was sure it was wide? Would definetly want to see it again.

I agree with benny that hearty didn;t have a great game - some poor kickouts and gave away a needless point lifting the ball off the ground when he should have cleared it earlier. James Lavery also had a great match for a championship debutant - inspirational point in the first half. He should definetely start the next day. Charlie might have made a difference but to be honest, we have to admit we were beaten by a better team on the day.

Still hopeful we can build a bit of momentum through the qualifiers and maybe still reach the later stages. It'll be tough to make the quarter finals though, having to win 4 matches on 4 consecutive weekends. Just hope we don;t draw an Ulster team in the first round and particularly not Monaghan!

Good display from the minors as well - should hopefully give Ulster a good rattle now. Thought Robbie Tasker was excellent, scored 2-3, the goals from 2 penalties taken as well as any player I've seen.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

kickingmule

Quote from: Oakleafer93 on May 31, 2009, 06:13:42 PM

the game played!!!

Try reading through my posts I don't have a problem with Tyrone, I said they were the better team and they deserved the win...  ::) I just said Conor Gormley did a lot of fouling which he did, and ultimately got sent off for it.
conor gormley had a superb game ..... always a tight marker ....in your face and personal .... a class footballer, who gives you 100%
he got a second yellow  .... that happens,  but tackled hard and fair throughtout  until that point,  ....no arguments!!!

pintsofguinness

Quote from: kickingmule on May 31, 2009, 06:36:57 PM

the game played!!!

conor gormley had a superb game ..... always a tight marker ....in your face and personal .... a class footballer, who gives you 100%
he got a second yellow  .... that happens,  but tackled hard and fair throughtout  until that point,  ....no arguments!!!

Apart from the fouling?

Strange to give a player that gets sent off for multiple fouling man of the match.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

David McKeown

Im certainly not as happy as most seem to be about Armaghs performance today.  I thought we were second best nearly every where on the pitch and really only gave Tyrone a game for the first ten minutes and then again when we were 8 points down and Tyrone looked like they had taken their foot of the gas.  I would usually be one to defend Martin O'Rourke but for me today he had his worst ever game for Armagh and how he stayed on the pitch coming out for the second half is beyond me.  I would love to see the stats for the number of points Tyrone scored either from Martin losing the ball or from McMahon sauntering past him to set up a score as we reckoned it was about 1-5 or 1-6.

To me the final scoreline lied today, Tyrone always looked like they could up it a gear and pull away.  They looked like a team that has a lot left in the tank and will improve, to me we looked like (unless we get a good draw) having a long summer.  Hope i am wrong though
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

David McKeown

Meant to add I was once again not impressed with McEanney today who I thought was very inconsistent.  As talked about earlier the brining back of the O Neill chance in the first half and the allowing play to go for Clarkes goal highlighted it perfectly.  I dont think hes anywhere near as good as he was years ago and is certainly not the top referee in the country anymore.  Although i accept I will probably not be in the majority on this one and his performance may next to know bearing on the result today
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Maguire01

Quote from: David McKeown on May 31, 2009, 06:45:22 PM
Meant to add I was once again not impressed with McEanney today who I thought was very inconsistent.  As talked about earlier the brining back of the O Neill chance in the first half and the allowing play to go for Clarkes goal highlighted it perfectly.  I dont think hes anywhere near as good as he was years ago and is certainly not the top referee in the country anymore.  Although i accept I will probably not be in the majority on this one and his performance may next to know bearing on the result today
Who is the top ref?
As a neutral at today's game, i think he was well on top of it - wasn't the centre of attantion and drew very little reaction from the crowd for any of his decisions.

Maguire01

Correct choice of venue today anyway. Omagh would have been too small and Croker too big. Everyone who wanted to see the game could, and there was plenty of atmosphere.

kickingmule

Quote from: Maguire01 on May 31, 2009, 06:50:12 PM
Quote from: David McKeown on May 31, 2009, 06:45:22 PM
Who is the top ref?
As a neutral at today's game, i think he was well on top of it - wasn't the centre of attantion and drew very little reaction from the crowd for any of his decisions.
would agree ....did'nt see alot of the ref today.    good advanage played for clark goal!

althought very strange ..he called SON back ...when throught on goal in the 1st half?

Oakleafer93

Quote from: kickingmule on May 31, 2009, 06:36:57 PM

the game played!!!

Correct, personal fouls are the order of the day with Mc Gormley. I don't deny he is a good player, but you have to see what in front of you but if CG is getting it tight he fouls and pulls on the jersey.

PatDaly

Does anyone know when the draw will be made for the first round of the back door scheduled to be played on 04.07.2009 (Sat)? The final 3 quarter-final provincial games (Wicklow v Westmeath, Louth v Laois and Donegal v Antrim), will be played on Sunday June 14th. Will the draw be made that evening?